PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers if you do post here, I need therapy:

lowesox
05-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Its clear that this place is in disarray. As of today we're firing Jerry Manuel and Gary Ward, Kenny Williams is resigning - right after he trades Billy Koch, and instead of being sent down Jon Garland is being promoted to staff ace. Somewhere in there Damaso Marte is our new closer, and Frank Thomas is our newest number 2 hitter - right behind Johny Damon who we somehow acquire in exchange for Billy Koch.

We're lousy, one game under .500, third place in the division. And we're all panicking. I've been trying to defend this team. But despite trying to stay positive, I can't figure anything out.

This team clearly needs a spark, so why hasn't Kenny Williams fired Jerry Manuel. Is it because he's never fired a manager before. And for that matter, since our actual offense is putrid compared to what our potential offense should be, why does Gary Ward still has a job. Isn't he the obvious suspect?

Have the players given up on Jerry Manuel like Mariotti suggests, or are they pressing like Kenny Williams suggests.

The real question is why isn't anything at all happening? We're losing badly every night, that won't turn itself around on its own. Doesn't management know that we need a change - a turning point?

I think we're all a little extra frustrated because this is the year we're supposed to be good. I don't remember a WhiteSox team as good as this team should be since at leat 1993. So Phil, if you are a poster here - I for one need you to throw out some answers. I'm hurting.

Why would the WhiteSox organization just throw this season away?

SoxxoS
05-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Just send him an e-mail, bro. :smile:

progers0826
05-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Disregarding Soxxos' sound advice, I'll take a quick stab here although I'm not sure there's much for me to say that haven't said in a couple of recent Tribune columns.

The White Sox are a very hard organization to get a reading on, and they like it that way. Unfortunately, that leads to a ton of speculation, and never moreso than in the last week. They generally worry a lot about their fans, which makes me think Jerry Manuel is in serious trouble, although I never understood how Terry Bevington survived all of 1997, so you never know.

From my perspective -- and I'm hardly around the team every day -- they just seem as stale now as they were fresh late in the 2002 season, when guys like Crede, Jimenez, Borchard and Olivo brought much-needed life. That's why I think they must seriously consider all options, including a midseason managerial switch.

This season is hardly over. The saving grace is that as badly as the White Sox have played, they're in OK shape record-wise (and have hinted at turning the tide against Minnesota). The troubling thing is that they are playing so badly. They should be better. It can turn around under Manuel but, from my perspective, it had better turn around soon. They need to avoid a disasterous road trip and then make hay when the schedule softens. They also need to get Borchard on track (he's 8-for-39 since missing a week with a sore wrist) and in the lineup. He'd be an asset not just for his switch-hitting, game-turning power but also his speed. I'm intrigued by Aaron Miles, who I saw play a lot this spring, but have no idea how they'd fit him into the mix. He's a sparkplug, though, and they certainly need a spark.

May is critical because they need a lot of bodies in the ballpark in June and July. Otherwise instead of being buyers, they could be July 31 sellers. The finances of this team are precarious with a payroll in the 50s.

Meantime, how do you like my new verb, mulderize, which means to slice something into ribbons? Somehow I think the guy from Thornwood would have made the Yankees look bad with the stuff he had in his last two starts.

MarqSox
05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks Phil ... your objectivity and expertise is a much-needed reality check. You da man.

dougs78
05-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by progers0826
Meantime, how do you like my new verb, mulderize, which means to slice something into ribbons? Somehow I think the guy from Thornwood would have made the Yankees look bad with the stuff he had in his last two starts.

I noticed that new verb in your last column and I thought it was quite creative, not to mention true. His stuff has been awesome, I'll agree he would have beaten just about any team in MLB.

However, this happens way, way too much against the Sox lately. I'd like to believe we are running into a string of great pitching lately, but at some point the hitting simply has to overcome and perform.

jeremyb1
05-07-2003, 01:26 PM
[BMeantime, how do you like my new verb, mulderize, which means to slice something into ribbons? Somehow I think the guy from Thornwood would have made the Yankees look bad with the stuff he had in his last two starts. [/B]

haha. that's great. thanks for posting phil.

kermittheefrog
05-07-2003, 01:50 PM
This season is hardly over. The saving grace is that as badly as the White Sox have played, they're in OK shape record-wise (and have hinted at turning the tide against Minnesota). The troubling thing is that they are playing so badly. They should be better. It can turn around under Manuel but, from my perspective, it had better turn around soon. They need to avoid a disasterous road trip and then make hay when the schedule softens. They also need to get Borchard on track (he's 8-for-39 since missing a week with a sore wrist) and in the lineup. He'd be an asset not just for his switch-hitting, game-turning power but also his speed. I'm intrigued by Aaron Miles, who I saw play a lot this spring, but have no idea how they'd fit him into the mix. He's a sparkplug, though, and they certainly need a spark.

That's pretty much how I feel about things. Well except for liking Aaron Miles but that's no big deal.

34 Inch Stick
05-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I agree Mulder would have beaten anyone in his last two starts. However, do you have a verb for what Gil Meche or John Halama did to the Sox?

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
eh, gil meche even shut down the yankees! :)

whitesoxwilkes
05-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I agree Mulder would have beaten anyone in his last two starts. However, do you have a verb for what Gil Meche or John Halama did to the Sox?

Meched up (like messed up)

Halamafied

progers0826
05-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Good one. Halamafied, as a variation of stupified, works well. As for Meche, he's turning a lot of teams' bats into paper Meche. That's not a verb but it's the best I could do.

TimChamp
05-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Good one. Halamafied, as a variation of stupified, works well. As for Meche, he's turning a lot of teams' bats into paper Meche. That's not a verb but it's the best I could do.

Wow, I didn't realize that the great Phil Rogers posted here, that's pretty cool...anyway, if you're still out there Phil, do you have any word about the rumor with our beloved GM Kenny Williams being forced to resign by White Sox brass? If so, who do you think will replace him? But better yet, who would you think would be the best to replace him? Right now, I don't know who could replace him, that would be better or better yet, that is available (of course everyone would like to have a Billy Beane or better yet, Billy Beane himself)...

Champ out...

joecrede
05-07-2003, 02:57 PM
The White Sox are a very hard organization to get a reading on, and they like it that way.

I love the way they operate in a comical sort of way. The fact that they keep everything secretive and in-house. With all the success they've had over the years, you can see why they are so protective of their unique formula. :D:

This is a GM job just screaming for Jerry Krause.

hold2dibber
05-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
This is a GM job just screaming for Jerry Krause.

:chunks

lowesox
05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Wow, Phil I heard you posted here but deep down I think I was just sending that post out to the cosmos. Thanks for writing back. WSI must be best board around when the sportswriter posts here too.

I love the idea of calling Miles up. I wonder if he could learn to play another position? Everybody compares him to Eckstein - and shortstop seems to be a position where we don't have a lot of young players.

I think we need to find a CF that can provide a spark. CF seems to be the biggest flaw on this team. I like the idea of making a trade for a 'true center fielder' type. I wonder if Dave Roberts could be had from Los Angelos? I love Borchard, but I hate the thought of him being called up and everybody jumping on him for striking out too much.

Hopefully the Sox can turn things around tonight. I'm hoping for a .500 road trip - but more than anything I'm hoping that some of the key guys start stepping up.

Daver
05-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Phil will also be doing a chat during the All Star break in our chat room.

:)

WhiteSoxWinner
05-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
Phil will also be doing a chat during the All Star break in our chat room.

Whoa!!! Way to go WSI!

Daver
05-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Whoa!!! Way to go WSI!

Its a return engagement,he did a chat with us in early May from ST.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-07-2003, 08:06 PM
That was in my busy season. Out of touch for a while and missed that. Still pretty impressive.