PDA

View Full Version : Ladewski says Ward should go instead of Manual.

fuzzy_patters
05-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Wrong Guy is on Sox Hot Seat (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/061sd1.htm)

Only weeks ago, the consensus was that the Sox would be a contender on the strength of their offense alone. Jose Valentin, Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Carlos Lee ... the South Side hadn't seen anything like them since the Hitmen three decades ago.

That was before the Sox started to swing Whiffle Ball bats all of a sudden. Have you checked out the numbers lately? Thomas has barely hit his weight. Konerko, Lee and Joe Crede are on the wrong side of .250. Only one regular D'Angelo Jimenez has hit higher than .280 at this point.

Throw in pitching and fielding that have been above average no better, no worse and the Hosers are still within six games of the Central Division lead. Heck, they should be nine games behind the Toledo Mud Hens, if you ask me.

That sounds about right to me. Manual should not be fired because Gary Ward and Kenny Williams do not know how to do their jobs.

IMO, Ward should be fired right now, because he has had a full month to get his hitters out of slumps. That's his job, and if he can't do it he should be replaced be someone who can.

As for Williams, we should wait until at least mid-season before we pass judgement. By that time we will know for sure whether or not Colon and Koch pan out or not. It's not fair to fire Manual just because Williams keeps handicapping his teams.

I believe Manual should be fired if A) Ward is replaced and the Sox start hitting, B) Williams aquisitions pan out, and C) despite A and B the Sox still don't win the division. This team is way more talented, on paper, than anybody else in the division. Provided he has an adequate coaching staff and GM, it is Manual's job to make sure those paper wins translate into wins on the field.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-06-2003, 05:43 PM
I agree that Gary Ward should go. I guess I also have to reserve judgment about whether Manual should go too. If KW was screwing around with managerial decisions, then maybe Manual's 2000 season (prior to KW) was not a fluke. It depends on what extent he was messing with those decisions.

If KW was screwing with the decisions, Manual should have gone to JR or Einhorn (as he appears to be getting into the debate) and made his case clear. He needed to state that he manages without interference or he resigns. It seems so Ghandi-esque that he would just sit there and take it for two years rather than cause any fuss (kind of like arguing with umps). I still blame Manual for not standing up to KW.

If this is the case, this organization is even more screwed up than we dreamed, and they need to throw out everyone and start over. JR, sell the team, and fire everyone with the parent club. (Except Joe Nossek. He's cool.)

Why does this sound more and more like the Bears' management philosophy? And why do I get more and more scared every time I draw this comparison?

MRKARNO
05-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Ward should go

JM should go

KW should resign ASAP

JR should sell the team

TornLabrum
05-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Ward should go

JM should go

KW should resign ASAP

JR should sell the team

In this organization the rot runs from the top down.