PDA

View Full Version : If the rumors are true and KW resigns

gosox41
05-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Who do you think the Sox next GM will/should be?

Personally, I'd stick Roland Hemond in there for the rest of the season. Then this off season, I'd offer Billy Beane a ton of money to come here.

I'm sure Danny Evans would love to come back to Chicago.

Bob

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Man, I like the way you think. Billy Beane here would make me buy season tix years in Advance. Im not sure I like the way Danny Evans operates anymore. He is an Idiot for making that Hundley for Karras/Grudzielanek Trade. That trade was STUPID from the minute I heard it. Now Hundley is on the DL. How dumb was Evans for that one? no thanks, Stay on the West Coast Danny you dumbass

gosox41
05-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Man, I like the way you think. Billy Beane here would make me buy season tix years in Advance. Im not sure I like the way Danny Evans operates anymore. He is an Idiot for making that Hundley for Karras/Grudzielanek Trade. That trade was STUPID from the minute I heard it. Now Hundley is on the DL. How dumb was Evans for that one? no thanks, Stay on the West Coast Danny you dumbass

It was a stupid trade, but I thought it was a pay roll issue. The Dodgers owed Mark G and Karros $15 mill. this year. Hundley gets $6 mill this year and next year. I think the Dodgers were trying to cut costs to not pat a luxury tax, but I may be mistaken.

Bob

Viva Magglio
05-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Personally, I'd stick Roland Hemond in there for the rest of the season. Then this off season, I'd offer Billy Beane a ton of money to come here.

Bob

What rumors and where did you hear them?

baggio202
05-06-2003, 11:15 AM

that hundley trade was strickly a payroll move...evans was under orders to lower payroll..plus he got rid of two dead weights in grud and karros....it was a good move from his standpoint because hundley is nothing more than a back up to loduca..with the movey he saved he was able to sign fred mcgriff and still save 3 or 4 million..

his KW'esque move imo was trading for paul shuey..but he was loong to shore up the pen in the ehat of a pennant race..but it didnt work out too good cause he lost a good prospect in that rodriguez guy

gosox41
05-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
What rumors and where did you hear them?

It's on another thread. It was from a source who no longer posts here but was seen posting it somewhere else. She called the Koch trade but it happened a day or 2 later and she didn't like people doubting her so she moved on.

Bob

hold2dibber
05-06-2003, 12:03 PM

Bob

There's no way Billy Beane would come here. Boston offered him a ton of money this past off season and he took a pass, and I'm guessing that the Boston job would be considered much more attractive than working for JR in Chicago.

SoxxoS
05-06-2003, 12:15 PM
How about Billy Koch and Kenny Williams

----for-----

Keith Foulke and Billy Beane?

baggio202
05-06-2003, 12:20 PM

Bob

good call on roland hemond...that is one class individual...an instant upgrade in credibility

ChiSoxBobette
05-06-2003, 12:26 PM
It's on another thread. It was from a source who no longer posts here but was seen posting it somewhere else. She called the Koch trade but it happened a day or 2 later and she didn't like people doubting her so she moved on.

Bob

Yeah, but I've gone to other sources also and have'nt seen anything about KW resigning, she also said KW was headed down to Charlotte but the suntimes today reported he was out on the westcoast with the Sox. She supposedly has all this inside info on the White Sox, Satuday night after the game a big blowup between Einhorn & KW, KW attempting to use his cell phone during the game to call manuel and bitch him out about something but his cell phone battery died....blah,blah,blah. Like I said the Sun-Times, Tribune, SouthTown, ESPN.com nobody is reporting anything about KW resigning which according to this poster was supposed to take place today but was postponed. By the way she also HATES D'J , BESIDES IF ITS TRUE WE'RE STILL STUCK WITH MANUEL WHO IF YOU WATCH THIS TEAM THEY HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN HIM AS A MANAGER ANYMORE!

GO WHITE Sox!

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
good call on roland hemond...that is one class individual...an instant upgrade in credibility

Hiring Roland Hemond.....
Would Be Instant Credibility...but hes Washed UP. Has been in GM Circles. Hes the one who was supposed to be "Overseeing" KW's Trade with Danny Evans/LA that wouldve Brought us a 22 yr old pitcher, but at the last minute, Dodgers switched the player as a 32 yr old career minor leaguer with the same last name. Wasnt played out in the Media because it wouldve shown KW to be a Buffoon who was Snookered by Danny Boy. OF course, LA should be playing fair, but oh well.
What was Roland doing when that went down? Golfing?

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
She supposedly has all this inside info on the White Sox, Satuday night after the game a big blowup between Einhorn & KW, KW attempting to use his cell phone during the game to call manuel and bitch him out about something but his cell phone battery died....blah,blah,blah

GO WHITE Sox!

Wouldnt it be Hilarious if it was a US Cellular Phone that decided to not work?

dickallen15
05-06-2003, 12:41 PM
Would Be Instant Credibility...but hes Washed UP. Has been in GM Circles. Hes the one who was supposed to be "Overseeing" KW's Trade with Danny Evans/LA that wouldve Brought us a 22 yr old pitcher, but at the last minute, Dodgers switched the player as a 32 yr old career minor leaguer with the same last name. Wasnt played out in the Media because it wouldve shown KW to be a Buffoon who was Snookered by Danny Boy. OF course, LA should be playing fair, but oh well.

Dan Evans wasn' t the GM of the Dodgers at the time of that trade

Hullett_Fan
05-06-2003, 12:45 PM

Agree. I've seen Roland speak at SoxFest the past 2 years and while he's a very nice guy....the game has passed him by and he's not sharp enough for the GM chair. Beane, Epstein, Cashman, Hendry etc. would have a field day raiding our roster.

steff
05-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Yeah, but I've gone to other sources also and have'nt seen anything about KW resigning, she also said KW was headed down to Charlotte but the suntimes today reported he was out on the westcoast with the Sox. She supposedly has all this inside info on the White Sox, Satuday night after the game a big blowup between Einhorn & KW, KW attempting to use his cell phone during the game to call manuel and bitch him out about something but his cell phone battery died....blah,blah,blah. Like I said the Sun-Times, Tribune, SouthTown, ESPN.com nobody is reporting anything about KW resigning which according to this poster was supposed to take place today but was postponed. By the way she also HATES D'J , BESIDES IF ITS TRUE WE'RE STILL STUCK WITH MANUEL WHO IF YOU WATCH THIS TEAM THEY HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN HIM AS A MANAGER ANYMORE!

GO WHITE Sox!

Bob... she did not say he was heading to Charlotte today. Please keep the facts straight. She was speaking about what happened Saturday night. Like the other thread says.. take it for what it's worth... but this deal IS happening.

gosox41
05-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
There's no way Billy Beane would come here. Boston offered him a ton of money this past off season and he took a pass, and I'm guessing that the Boston job would be considered much more attractive than working for JR in Chicago.

In reading a review of "Moneyball," it sounds like Billy Beane doesn't want to be under the pressure and scrutiny of Boston which is why he didn't take the job.

Seeing as how the Sox can barely draw 1.6 mill in a season, there may not be that kind of pressure in Chicago.

JR would probably never do it, but if Beane doesn't like the limelight, the Sox may be a good fit. JR will spend if the money is there and there is potential to substantially increase revenues.

Bob

gosox41
05-06-2003, 01:41 PM

Roland would only be for the season. He would have a semi-easy job for 5 months if the team plays up to it's level of capability. If not he'd be forced to dump salary but he can't make any worse trades then KW does. I'd hire a permanent GM for next year.

Bob

ChiSoxBobette
05-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Bob... she did not say he was heading to Charlotte today. Please keep the facts straight. She was speaking about what happened Saturday night. Like the other thread says.. take it for what it's worth... but this deal IS happening.

Personally I Hope She's Right, And If She Is I Hope KW Takes Manuel With Him!
:?: -JERRY MANUEL
:whiner: -KENNY WILLIAMS

GO WHITE SOX

TheBigHurt
05-06-2003, 01:46 PM
WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO, lets hope Tinker-roo goes with em

alohafri
05-06-2003, 01:57 PM
They could hire Satan for all I cared...almost anyone is better than this jerk...
:KW You can't replace me!

:reinsy Oh, no? Watch me!

Chisoxfn
05-06-2003, 02:25 PM
My vote is for Bob Fontaine JR. From my understanding he built the majority of the Angels organization and when they won the World Series their was a lot of talk here in SoCal that Fontaine Jr. was probably the biggest reason (Off The Field) for putting that team together and that he had a major stake in a ton of those players.

I've only hear good things about him. I still want KW around, but if the stuff is true about him being so controlling then I believe that this team will be better without him at the helm, even though I have been one of his lone supporters.

By having him around, I mean at some level in terms of minor league scouting.

Mammoo
05-06-2003, 03:32 PM
I would be shocked if Reinsdorf launched or demoted Ken Williams. Furthermore, how does that improve the club in the short term? It doesn't!

If it happens, then he's sacrificing Williams to keep Sox fans hopeful but most of them (us) will see through it!

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 03:43 PM
If they do this right, Everyone will come away a Winner in this. Keep Kenny in the organization. Make Fontaine the GM.

baggio202
05-06-2003, 03:56 PM
roland hemond would be an interim GM only...give the sox time to pick the right guy this time....just because a guy is old doesnt mean the game passed him up...i talked to him for awhile at soxfest..the guy is still sharp

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
roland hemond would be an interim GM only...give the sox time to pick the right guy this time....just because a guy is old doesnt mean the game passed him up...i talked to him for awhile at soxfest..the guy is still sharp

I talked to him at SoxFest too. I convinced him that I was a special asst to the Orioles, and that I had power to make trades. I basically got Ordonez for Jay Gibbons and Cash done, but when he went to tell Uncle Jerry about the deal, I figured Id better leave..... heh heh

gosox41
05-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I would be shocked if Reinsdorf launched or demoted Ken Williams. Furthermore, how does that improve the club in the short term? It doesn't!

If it happens, then he's sacrificing Williams to keep Sox fans hopeful but most of them (us) will see through it!

It appears a lot of players don't like KW as he undermines JM's authority. The GM is not supposed to travel with the big club as much as KW does. He definitely shouldn't be tipping over post game meals...that's JM's role if he chooses. I'm guessing his presence last season in the clubhouse had all the players looking over their shoulders.

How much have we heard about KW's spies? How about the report in the Sun Times that KW was bad mouthing his own player to other teams. That has to hurt their marketability. He should be focusing on the upcoming draft and not getting fleeced on anymore deals.

He should not confront C.Lee about his play and he deinitely shouldn't call down to the dugout during a game and question Jerry. If he wants the manager's positon he should give himself that title too. If not butt out.

I hope these rumors are true about KW leaving. The sources sound reliable, but JR is capapble of anything just to show people how right he can be.

I keep waiting to hear about a news conference being called or something. Any updates on when things may happen?

Bob

steff
05-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I was told that there was "paperwork to be signed" (likely some sort of separation or confidentiality agreement?). The plan was to announce yesterday but KW had a planned family medical issue. I don't know if he's there yet (in Oakland). He was due there by 1pm.

kermittheefrog
05-06-2003, 05:05 PM
I was told that there was "paperwork to be signed" (likely some sort of separation or confidentiality agreement?). The plan was to announce yesterday but KW had a planned family medical issue. I don't know if he's there yet (in Oakland). He was due there by 1pm.

Any word on when things will be anounced assuming something is happening?

Foulke You
05-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Any word on when things will be anounced assuming something is happening?

Perhaps there will be an announcement at the beginning of tonight's Sox telecast from Oakland? Hmmm....

On a different note, anyone else now wonder what Jerry Reinsdorf was talking about with Jerry Manuel on the field earlier this weekend? Oh, to be a fly on the batting cage when that conversation took place!

jeremyb1
05-06-2003, 05:35 PM

wait, why is he going to oakland if he's stepping down/being demoted?

Hullett_Fan
05-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

So he can kick Billy Beane's butt before the demotion. :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2003, 05:43 PM

What does the phrase "one step ahead of the posse" mean to you? :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-06-2003, 08:48 PM
I sincerely hope Williams is gone but if they replace him with another low payed, inexperienced GM does that solve anything?

It will be very hard for the Sox to get a Walt Jocketty, John Shurholz, Pat Gillick, John Hart type because they all want two things that Jerry Reinsdorf has been unwilling to give:

1. A higher payroll

2. Unlimited authority to make moves WITHOUT having to consult him for approval.

I just can't see any of those caliber GM's being willing to work under those conditions.

Lip

jeremyb1
05-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I sincerely hope Williams is gone but if they replace him with another low payed, inexperienced GM does that solve anything?

It will be very hard for the Sox to get a Walt Jocketty, John Shurholz, Pat Gillick, John Hart type because they all want two things that Jerry Reinsdorf has been unwilling to give:

1. A higher payroll

2. Unlimited authority to make moves WITHOUT having to consult him for approval.

I just can't see any of those caliber GM's being willing to work under those conditions.

i don't think kw's problem has been inexperience for the most part. he's an excellent judge of young talent and made some good deals for jimenez and harris. it seems like by far his biggest problem was his personality. he always wanted to make "the big move" when in some cases standing pat would've been more effective. also, he seems to be very emotional and obsessed with being involved with every aspect of the team. these problems aren't related to inexperience.

TornLabrum
05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
i don't think kw's problem has been inexperience for the most part. he's an excellent judge of young talent and made some good deals for jimenez and harris. it seems like by far his biggest problem was his personality. he always wanted to make "the big move" when in some cases standing pat would've been more effective. also, he seems to be very emotional and obsessed with being involved with every aspect of the team. these problems aren't related to inexperience.

Nope. They're related to ego.

:KW

"You have to admit, I've put my mark on this team...and the buffet table...."

gosox41
05-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

1. A higher payroll

Lip

From what I've heard, Jerry only has say on the big financial decisions and doesn't do much with the day to day operations of the club.

As for the payroll issue, the team is underperfoming based on it's current payroll. Adding more payroll now would be throwing good money after bad.

Maybe a new GM, even if he's inexperienced would make wiser decisions. Look at me, people think I'm an idiot and yet I still would not have made the Todd Ritchie trade or the Billy Koch trade.

I was not a poster here when the Ritchie trade was made, but look back at my comments right after the Koch trade was made. I'm no bandwagon jumper either.

Bob

MisterB
05-07-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
So he can kick Billy Beane's butt before the demotion. :redneck

You may not be too far off...

Williams to confront Beane on book (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside06.html)

MHOUSE
05-07-2003, 09:02 AM

well hurry the f* up! :angry:

Bobby Thigpen
05-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Furthermore, how does that improve the club in the short term? It doesn't!

I wouldn't underestimate how much of an improvement we would see if the players were allowed to play the game without being ridiculed by an a--hole GM every time they mess up. That stuff can make you shut down on the effort pretty quick. Believe me, I've seen it done. Why would they want to play for a guy that is nothing but a dick to them and undermines their manager's every move? I sure as heck wouldn't want to.

I would imagine a much better showing the moment KW is dismissed.

gosox41
05-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I wouldn't underestimate how much of an improvement we would see if the players were allowed to play the game without being ridiculed by an a--hole GM every time they mess up. That stuff can make you shut down on the effort pretty quick. Believe me, I've seen it done. Why would they want to play for a guy that is nothing but a dick to them and undermines their manager's every move? I sure as heck wouldn't want to.

I would imagine a much better showing the moment KW is dismissed.

I agree. It doesn't take much for a player to get pissed off and just start playing for his own personal stats instead of the teams. It's not that the players aren't giving 100% physical effort on the field, because most of the time they probably are. It's that they're no longer doing the little things that help the team win and make KW or JM look good.

Bob

steff
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
well hurry the f* up! :angry:

LOL.

It's all financial issues now, which doesn't surprise me.
IMO, this will be a quiet announcement. Like DJ and Hawk announcing it at the start of the game in the next couple days. KW will definitely be back here as to not have to endure the media on travels back to Chicago (if he's not already back).

I can't see KW announcing his own resignation/reassignment. His ego is way too big for that.

But I'm sticking with my gut and saying it will be blamed on family issues...

mandmandm
05-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Just a lurker but KW is coming up on ESPN 1000 5:45 central time. I assume he is not announcing his resignation.

Daver
05-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Just a lurker but KW is coming up on ESPN 1000 5:45 central time. I assume he is not announcing his resignation.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

DrCrawdad
05-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm

If KW has been fired or relieved of his duties as GM then KW's interview on ESPN this afternoon said NOTHING to indicate his imminent departure as GM.

The rumours of KW's death have been greatly exagerated.

Jjav829
05-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If KW has been fired or relieved of his duties as GM then KW's interview on ESPN this afternoon said NOTHING to indicate his imminent departure as GM.

The rumours of KW's death have been greatly exagerated.

Can you give us a brief summary of what he said? In other words, what was said that makes you believe the rumors have been exaggerated.

gosox41
05-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Can you give us a brief summary of what he said? In other words, what was said that makes you believe the rumors have been exaggerated.

I heard part of the interview. He made a point of saying Jerry calls all the on the field shots. He said it a couple of times. Said he's happy with the coaching and doesn't want to make a change just because the sox are going thru a rough time.

KW mentioned his visit to Charlotte and how he's sitting behind home plate for all the A's games in Oakland. said he still feels good about this team and that eventually things will go the Sox way.

After hearing the interview, I have a feeling KW is here to stay...for now. Even McNeil joked about knowing he'd be lying if he resigned due to health reasons.

I hope he still gets fired, but I think things may have changed. I'm not trying to start any controversey, just a gut feeling that JR or EE had a little sit down with KW about his clubhouse presence. That's why I think he made a point of saying JM decides all the on the field stuff. Either that or he said it because the on field stuff isn't working and he's leaving JM out to dry. Depends on how you see it.

Bob

lowesox
05-07-2003, 08:54 PM
I think if this were to happy it would have the same effect as firing Jerry Manuel would. The players know that when it all comes down to it, its their fault. And whether they like KW or not, they'll know that the next guy will be looking to cut the fat.

In many ways its more motivating. Jerry can only bench you. The new GM can trade you, or send you down to the minors. I like Jerry Manuel, and this offseason KW endeared himself to me. But I think one of them has to go - or both.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Dammit. We Need something to Happen. Im sold on the idea of KW getting Reassigned. Fontaine would make an Excellent GM.
Let Kenny do what he does best, which is supposedly evaluate talent. Man, if they do this song and dance routine all season, about being happy w the team etc etc, then come AUgust, when were out of it again, then the "kids" start playing lights out, im going to be FUMING ANGRY

Nellie Comiskey
05-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Extremely interesting....a turn of events I do not think anyone saw(but most wish for). I can definitely see KW interfering with things...he seems to be a very controling executive. It's hard to believe this could be true with his recent ranking in sports illustrated(top minority executives in sports). I personally don't think Danny Evans would ever come back to the Sox...the only guy that has a chance of persuading him is his mentor Roland Hemond. Roland is still sharp as a tack and could do the job. As someone mentioned earlier...he is a great guy...one that has been around the game a while and a true gentleman. He would be the quick fix...if not him look for someone with a strong background with the entire organization(minors to majors). Remember KW ran the minor league system prior to serving as the chairman's top guy then gm. If this yahoo story is true...then he really had to screw up somewhere...that we will never be privy to. :(:

Jerry_Manuel
05-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Dammit. We Need something to Happen. Im sold on the idea of KW getting Reassigned. Fontaine would make an Excellent GM.
Let Kenny do what he does best, which is supposedly evaluate talent. Man, if they do this song and dance routine all season, about being happy w the team etc etc, then come AUgust, when were out of it again, then the "kids" start playing lights out, im going to be FUMING ANGRY

Steff told me everything is still on. This organization is so messed up.

DrCrawdad
05-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I was listening to the interview, but I didn't take notes. At the moment I can't remember exactly what KW said. I just got the impression that KW didn't sound like a guy who'd lost his job.

One thing I remember though, is KW describing himself as having a football player's emotional response to things and that is quite different than the usual baseball player response.

pissonthecubs
05-07-2003, 11:47 PM
whoever thinks that Roland Hemond would replace Kenny, please wake up! you are way, way, off in dreamland. yes, Hemond is a class guy, and would be a smart pick, but at his age, i don't think he wants to deal with that much heavy work like he would have to do as the GM. he's happy where he is right now and i don't think he wants to do much more. and for all of the people who are holding Billy Bean's plane ticket, keep holding it. thinking Bean would come to the Sox after turning down the Boston job is just mental masterbation. sorry to burst your bubble.

Chisoxfn
05-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Steff told me everything is still on. This organization is so messed up.

Well he could of been just talking like a guy that is still in charge of scouting for the organization, but he just will have a lesser role due to family reasons or that he no longer wants to be a GM.

I don't know, but of me thinks that things may of been worked out. I think JR wants to keep KW but Einhorn is speaking up and since Einhorn wasn't around lately, JR and Him may want to start things on a clean slate with the gm.

Either way I'll be waiting, but I could care less who the gm is if the Sox play more games like tonights.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Assuming this is true and Williams is out it's going to get harder and harder to keep this under wraps. I would think that somebody would have blabbed about it to somebody in the media by now. This would be a major scoop for someone.

Lip