PDA

View Full Version : 1st step in right direction: Trade Koch to the Red Sox

South Sider
05-06-2003, 10:22 AM
I think this could be a good move right now.

The Red Sox desperate needs a closer (just look at yesterdays game) and maybe we could get something good in return.

I think Marte would be a good closer for the White Sox !!!

The only question is...what we would get for Koch ???

Someone with speed would be very helpful !!!!

What do you guys think ???

gosox41
05-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by South Sider
I think this could be a good move right now.

The Red Sox desperate needs a closer (just look at yesterdays game) and maybe we could get something good in return.

I think Marte would be a good closer for the White Sox !!!

The only question is...what we would get for Koch ???

Someone with speed would be very helpful !!!!

What do you guys think ???

If we can dump Koch, I would in a second. I thought the Red Sox were maxed out with payroll. Any trade that would be made would have to involve the Sox taking a high salaried problem off the red Sox hands seeing as how they're doing the Sox a favor.

Of course that's assuming the Red Sox want to trade for a one dimensional fast ball pitcher who has lost 5 MPH off his fastball

Bob

baggio202
05-06-2003, 10:39 AM
ive been thinking along these lines too...boston as a 20 year old SS hensley ramirez i believe his name is..supposed to be a 5 tool candidate...id love to package up koch and whoever else it would take to get this kid (red sox are always looking for young pitchers - we got a surplus)...i think he is number 34 on BA's top 100..youngest player on that list iirc...

Hangar18
05-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
ive been thinking along these lines too...boston as a 20 year old SS hensley ramirez i believe his name is..supposed to be a 5 tool candidate...id love to package up koch and whoever else it would take to get this kid (red sox are always looking for young pitchers - we got a surplus)...i think he is number 34 on BA's top 100..youngest player on that list iirc...

wow, LIFE! A move like this would help us Immensely. I make this trade in a second.

LuvSox
05-06-2003, 10:55 AM

They seem to be a little heavy in the SS department anyway. Why not?

Foulke You
05-06-2003, 01:12 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this but I really like Shea Hillenbrand. He is currently batting .310 with 26 RBIs and a .467 slugging %. He had a great season last year for the BoSox and they have also been willing to deal Hillenbrand for pitching since last season as they almost pulled the trigger with the Cubs for pitcher Cruz. One problem with Hillenbrand that he plays Crede's position.

Bobby Thigpen
05-06-2003, 01:23 PM
How about a three way trade- Sox trade to Boston Koch, maybe someone else, Boston sends Hillenbrand, someone else to KC who sends Beltran to the Sox.

Isn't KC supposed to be looking for a young third basemen and looking for ways to dump Beltran? We could give Koch to the Red Sox and get a player that fills our biggest hole-CF.

Maybe this whole post should be in pink.

baggio202
05-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I know I'll get flamed for this but I really like Shea Hillenbrand. He is currently batting .310 with 26 RBIs and a .467 slugging %. He had a great season last year for the BoSox and they have also been willing to deal Hillenbrand for pitching since last season as they almost pulled the trigger with the Cubs for pitcher Cruz. One problem with Hillenbrand that he plays Crede's position.

nobody should flame you for wanting hillenbrand..he is a stud in the making...just dont see why beantown would trade him..he is on e of the few cheap players they have that is producing...ive always liked trot nixon myself but i dont see a scenario where boston would trade him for koch

baggio202
05-06-2003, 01:32 PM
we had 2 no votes but no comments..im kinda curious to hear from people who think botch can turn it around

fuzzy_patters
05-06-2003, 03:06 PM
we had 2 no votes but no comments..im kinda curious to hear from people who think botch can turn it around

Koch has a history of slow starts and hot Junes. Trading him now would be stupid, IMHO. We know he is going to get hot eventually, so why trade him before he gets hot? If we want to trade Koch, we should wait a month until he has a few consecutive saves. That way we will get a lot more for him. Boston needs a closer, not another question mark. They have plenty of questions.

OfficerKarkovice
05-06-2003, 04:12 PM
If we could somehow wriggle Johnny Damon from the Red Sox somewhere in that deal I would be excited...that being said, I don't see that happening.

kermittheefrog
05-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Okay so somewhere in the Red Sox thought process something like this would have to occur:

"Hey we don't know how to identify talent so let's acquire an expensive reliever from the White Sox who has nothing other than a straight fastball."

There is no way we're turning our garbage into a gem trading with the Red Sox of all teams. They have a great front office.

FarmerAndy
05-06-2003, 04:55 PM

I think folks need to calm down with the whole Koch thing. It's not like he's some guy who had one good season. He's had 30+ saves every season for the last three. Obviously he's having some problems right now, but it can happen to anybody. Right now I wouldn't throw him in when the game is on the line. For now I'd let Marte close, but get Koch some work. He'll turn it around. When he does, he gets the closer role back.

Look at it this way.... When Foulke began to have problems, alot of people wanted him gone. Now we all wish he was still here. Same thing will happen if we trade Koch, it will burn us later. He'll be mowing down batters in B Town, and everybody would be crying because we got rid of him.

Give the guy a chance. If he's still botchin' in mid-June, get rid of him.

hold2dibber
05-06-2003, 06:02 PM
The Red Sox don't need a closer, they need middle relievers. They've "only" lost 2 games they lead going into the ninth. Same (or maybe less) than the Koch-led White Sox bullpen.

lowesox
05-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Red Sox don't need a closer, they need middle relievers. They've "only" lost 2 games they lead going into the ninth. Same (or maybe less) than the Koch-led White Sox bullpen.

Koch may not be great this season, but he'll at least be better. IF you don't believe that why would Theo Epstein? Forget Johny Damon, we couldn't trade Koch for a Johny Damon autographed ball.

The rule of trading: trade guys when their value are at their highest - look for players whose value is at their lowest.

guillen4life13
05-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
"Hey we don't know how to identify talent so let's acquire an expensive reliever from the White Sox who has nothing other than a straight fastball."

:walk
Hello Kermit! How's life going?

MHOUSE
05-06-2003, 08:36 PM
I like the Koch for Hillenbrand for Beltran 3-way trade. The one for the young shortstop would be nice, but he's only 20 and we have Jose so that would only be part of a white flag IMO because that would be rebuilding/retooling instead of someone to help us now like Beltran would.

gosox41
05-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I like the Koch for Hillenbrand for Beltran 3-way trade. The one for the young shortstop would be nice, but he's only 20 and we have Jose so that would only be part of a white flag IMO because that would be rebuilding/retooling instead of someone to help us now like Beltran would.

I may be slightly mistaked, but I'm guessing Koch has little trade value right now. All this talk about Damon, Beltran, a can't miss SS prospect would be fine...if Koch didn't have a 9.00 ERA and hadn't pitched the first month of the season with 5 MPH less on his fastball.

If the Sox want to trade Koch right this second they're either going to have to give him away or take on a comparable salary for a washed up player. Something tells me Epstein isn't nearly as dumb as KW and wouldn't give up Damon for Koch.

For those who think that, I advise you to wake up and change the sheets.

Bob

baggio202
05-06-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I may be slightly mistaked, but I'm guessing Koch has little trade value right now. All this talk about Damon, Beltran, a can't miss SS prospect would be fine...if Koch didn't have a 9.00 ERA and hadn't pitched the first month of the season with 5 MPH less on his fastball.

If the Sox want to trade Koch right this second they're either going to have to give him away or take on a comparable salary for a washed up player. Something tells me Epstein isn't nearly as dumb as KW and wouldn't give up Damon for Koch.

For those who think that, I advise you to wake up and change the sheets.

Bob

thats why i said to get that SS we'd have to give up a prospect with koch..a good one too..like honel