PDA

View Full Version : Little Things I've Noticed

pissonthecubs
05-05-2003, 09:37 PM
As I velcroed myself to the couch to watch the cubs game (hey, the cards-reds game over, plus nothing like seeing shammy swing way ahead of a 78 mph curveball for the strikeout) i noticed that more and more players throughout baseball when they strikeout to end the inning, they take off their helmet, all of the elbow guards, etc. and set the bat down right in the battersbox and walk out to their position for someone else to grab their glove and hat. i know i'm 21 years old, and should be part of the new generation of baseball and want to see 12-11 ballgames and 500 homeruns a season by the top sluggers. But call me old fashioned because I'll take a 2-1 score anyday and if you ground out, run though the first base, and if you strikeout, at least throw your helmet and bat towards your own dougout so you don't make the bat boy your slave. i know i'm someone who picks out little details, but i just wanted to share that thought with everyone.

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Nice rant, I'm impressed. I never could figure out the arrogance of some players.

Kilroy
05-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
...I'll take a 2-1 score anyday and if you ground out, run though the first base, and if you strikeout, at least throw your helmet and bat towards your own dougout so you don't make the bat boy your slave.

I can deal with a 2-1 score, but I'd rather see 6-5. I love triples, home runs are just ok in comparison. I definitely agree about running out your grounders. But as for the batboy, he gets paid to do that. I have no problem with a player leaving his gear at the plate. If it was a ball put in play, he's going to the plate to get the bat anyway. I don't see that as arrogant. Arrogant would be walking to your position and dropping pieces of gear as you go...

hose
05-05-2003, 10:19 PM
In the old days the players left their gloves on the field instead of taking them into the dugouts.

My Dad told me stories of Nellie Fox spitting tobacco onto selected opposing players gloves, pissing them off to no end :D:

I always remember players leaving their bat and helmet at the plate on a disputed called strike 3 that ended the inning as a way to show up the ump.