PDA

View Full Version : Could the Sox use Alan Benes?

MHOUSE
05-05-2003, 08:31 PM
In order to activate Alfonseca from the DL, the Cubs had to designate Benes for assignment which means they have 10 days to release him, trade him, or try and pass him through waivers to AAA. Obviously they wouldn't want much for him since most likely they would lose him anyways. For a draft pick or low prospect, we could likely get him cheap. He can't do worse than Rick White I think. If we made a trade then we could do the same thing with White and it would basically be a wash Benes for White. Gordon has come around, but White is still shaky and about the same type of pitcher as Benes so far as I can tell.

Benes 3G 0-0 2.16 ERA 8.1IP 8H 2ER 6BB 9K 1/1 SV/OP
(31 years old)

White 10G 0-1 4.85 ERA 13.0IP 14H 8R (7ER) 3HR 7BB 11K
(35 years old)

MRKARNO
05-05-2003, 08:52 PM
White is good enough that it isn't worth it to take the chance on Benes. It's better just to keep the bullpen intact than to disrupt it

duke of dorwood
05-05-2003, 09:06 PM
We need hitting

SoxxoS
05-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We need hitting

Preferably left handed. Actually, just left handed.

Borchard must be doing something really wrong for him not to get called up thusfar. Granted he had some wrist tendenitis, but you think they would call him up over Willie "Luis Gonzalez like arm" Harris.

With Borchard, I can live with the strikeouts. At least he will give us a power hitting switch hitter, which is what we need.

MHOUSE
05-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Preferably left handed. Actually, just left handed.

Borchard must be doing something really wrong for him not to get called up thusfar. Granted he had some wrist tendenitis, but you think they would call him up over Willie "Luis Gonzalez like arm" Harris.

With Borchard, I can live with the strikeouts. At least he will give us a power hitting switch hitter, which is what we need.

IIRC Borchard was hitting below .300 (at least much less than Harris) with only 2 HR and a bunch of Ks. I don't have his stats up right now, but he didn't look ready to get called up. We might need him, but not if he isn't ready.

DrCrawdad
05-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
In order to activate Alfonseca from the DL, the Cubs had to designate Benes for assignment which means they have 10 days to release him, trade him, or try and pass him through waivers to AAA...

I doubt they'd give Benes a straight release. Benes won't clear waivers, some team would take him.

From what I've seen when a player is designated for assignment that means a trade is in the works.

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I doubt they'd give Benes a straight release. Benes won't clear waivers, some team would take him.

From what I've seen when a player is designated for assignment that means a trade is in the works.

Actually 95% of the time you see a guy designated for assignment he gets released. Once you designate him for assignment you really lose all leverage on a trade.

DrCrawdad
05-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Actually 95% of the time you see a guy designated for assignment he gets released. Once you designate him for assignment you really lose all leverage on a trade.

Link to story... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-rangerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Cubs trade Benes to Rangers

May 9, 2003

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Cubs traded right-hander Alan Benes to the Texas Rangers on Friday for a player to be named.

Hullett_Fan
05-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Player to be named later will be Carl Everett who will hit .325 with 30HRs for the remainder of the season w/ Cubs.

And the Sox could of had him for Judy Garland...

Daver
05-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey Doc,

Can you please edit that post to a link instead of pasting the whole thing please?

The last thing we need is AP coming after us too.

Thank you.

ChiSoxBobette
05-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
In order to activate Alfonseca from the DL, the Cubs had to designate Benes for assignment which means they have 10 days to release him, trade him, or try and pass him through waivers to AAA. Obviously they wouldn't want much for him since most likely they would lose him anyways. For a draft pick or low prospect, we could likely get him cheap. He can't do worse than Rick White I think. If we made a trade then we could do the same thing with White and it would basically be a wash Benes for White. Gordon has come around, but White is still shaky and about the same type of pitcher as Benes so far as I can tell.

Benes 3G 0-0 2.16 ERA 8.1IP 8H 2ER 6BB 9K 1/1 SV/OP
(31 years old)

White 10G 0-1 4.85 ERA 13.0IP 14H 8R (7ER) 3HR 7BB 11K
(35 years old)

According to foxsports.com he's already been traded to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later.

Go White Sox

MHOUSE
05-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
According to foxsports.com he's already been traded to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later.

Go White Sox

Well I posted this about 10 days ago when they brought back Alfonseca. Someone dug it up to post the story about the trade. :smile:

DrCrawdad
05-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey Doc,

Can you please edit that post to a link instead of pasting the whole thing please?

The last thing we need is AP coming after us too.

Thank you.

OOPS! I posted the note real quick at work. Forgot all about the copyright issues.