PDA

View Full Version : Less than 1 month away


Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 04:26 PM
The Rule IV draft (amateur draft) will take place June 3rd-4th, here is a list of my top 30 draft prospects, comments & questions are welcome (Sox select 15th overall):



1. Rickie Weeks, 2b Southern Univ.
2. Adam Loewen*, LHP, Chipola JC
3. Delmon Young, OF, Camarillo HS (CA)
4. Ryan Harvey, OF, Dunedin HS (FL)
5. Kyle Sleeth, RHP, Wake Forest Univ.
6. Lastings Milledge, OF, Lakewood Ranch HS (FL)
7. Tim Stauffer, RHP, Richmond Univ.
8. Andrew Miller, LHP, Bucholz HS (FL)
9. Michael Aubrey, 1b/OF, Tulane Univ.
10.Chris Lubanski, OF, Kennedy-Kenrick HS (PA)
11.Brad Sullivan, RHP, Univ. of Houston
12.Jeffrey Allison, RHP, Peabody HS (MA)
13.Jared Hughes, RHP, Santa Margerita HS (CA)
14.Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C, Royal Palm Beach HS (FL)
15. Ian Stewart, 3B, Westminister HS (CA)
16. Matt Murton, OF, Georgia Tech Univ
17. Ryan Sweeney, 1B/LHP, Xavier HS (IA)
18. Landon Powell, C, Univ. of South Carolina
19. Scott Maine, LHP, Dwyer HS (FL)
20. Aaron Hill, SS, Louisiana State Univ.
21. John Danks, LHP, Round Rock HS (TX)
22. Marc Cornell, RHP, Ohio University
23. David Aardsma, RHP, Rice University
24. Nick Markakis*, LHP, Young Harris JC
25. Vince Sinisi, 1B, Rice University
26. Jay Sborz, RHP, Langley HS (VA)
27.Conor Jackson, 3B, Univ. of California-Berkeley
28.Mitch Maier, C, Univ. of Toledo
29.Chad Billingsley, RHP, Defiance HS (OH)
30.Ryan Wager, RHP, Univ. of Houston


*indicates these guys are currently under the control of teams that drafted them a year ago, DF&E's.

Daver
05-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Who is Mitch Maier's agent?

Tavarin
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Hmm, Weeks is definitely number 1, but why do you have Milledge so low?

OfficerKarkovice
05-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

17. Ryan Sweeney, 1B/LHP, Xavier HS (IA)


There's our guy.

Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Daver, I don't know at this time, but I don't believe it is Boras. The A's are said to be scouting Maier pretty heavily.


I've rated Milledge fairly high, he struggled initially after his dismissal from a Division 5-A school (Northside Christian HS) to the tougher D 2-A (Lakewood Ranch), but he's still hitting over .400 with great power and discipline periphs. T1 rated him 16th overall this morning, I disagree. Scouts question his ability to hit the breaking ball (which is all he sees), and there have been questions surrounding his character (given the incident that lead to his expulsion last year).

hose
05-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The Rule IV draft (amateur draft) will take place June 3rd-4th, here is a list of my top 30 draft prospects, comments & questions are welcome (Sox select 15th overall):



1. Rickie Weeks, 2b Southern Univ.
2. Adam Loewen*, LHP, Chipola JC
3. Delmon Young, OF, Camarillo HS (CA)
4. Ryan Harvey, OF, Dunedin HS (FL)
5. Kyle Sleeth, RHP, Wake Forest Univ.
6. Lastings Milledge, OF, Lakewood Ranch HS (FL)
7. Tim Stauffer, RHP, Richmond Univ.
8. Andrew Miller, LHP, Bucholz HS (FL)
9. Michael Aubrey, 1b/OF, Tulane Univ.
10.Chris Lubanski, OF, Kennedy-Kenrick HS (PA)
11.Brad Sullivan, RHP, Univ. of Houston
12.Jeffrey Allison, RHP, Peabody HS (MA)
13.Jared Hughes, RHP, Santa Margerita HS (CA)
14.Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C, Royal Palm Beach HS (FL)
15. Ian Stewart, 3B, Westminister HS (CA)
16. Matt Murton, OF, Georgia Tech Univ
17. Ryan Sweeney, 1B/LHP, Xavier HS (IA)
18. Landon Powell, C, Univ. of South Carolina
19. Scott Maine, LHP, Dwyer HS (FL)
20. Aaron Hill, SS, Louisiana State Univ.
21. John Danks, LHP, Round Rock HS (TX)
22. Marc Cornell, RHP, Ohio University
23. David Aardsma, RHP, Rice University
24. Nick Markakis*, LHP, Young Harris JC
25. Vince Sinisi, 1B, Rice University
26. Jay Sborz, RHP, Langley HS (VA)
27.Conor Jackson, 3B, Univ. of California-Berkeley
28.Mitch Maier, C, Univ. of Toledo
29.Chad Billingsley, RHP, Defiance HS (OH)
30.Ryan Wager, RHP, Univ. of Houston


*indicates these guys are currently under the control of teams that drafted them a year ago, DF&E's.



How about a left handed hitting centerfielder that can go get 'em in the field and has a cannon for a arm.

Daver
05-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by hose
How about a left handed hitting centerfielder that can go get 'em in the field and has a cannon for a arm.

We already have one of those.

The Sox need to develop some catching and they need to do it quick.

Iguana775
05-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hose
How about a left handed hitting centerfielder that can go get 'em in the field and has a cannon for a arm.

how bout someone that will actually make an impact in the majors?

Randar68
05-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by daver
We already have one of those.

The Sox need to develop some catching and they need to do it quick.

Yeah, Olivo is the ONLY guy they have with a chance to do something.

Maybe they will sign the annual round 3-5 catcher they draft. We can always hope. Tony Richie hasn't done anything at FSU, has he??? He's only got an OPS over 1.000 at FSU and caught 20 of 47 attempted basestealers.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:48 PM
this is a pretty impressive list.....good one vsajpal

Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by hose
How about a left handed hitting centerfielder that can go get 'em in the field and has a cannon for a arm.

That would be Kennedy-Kenrick CF Chris Lubanski, rated very highly across the board, and off the charts makeup. Bonus points for hailing from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania. Standout player, did just as well as Milledge and Young for Team USA last summer.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
That would be Kennedy-Kenrick CF Chris Lubanski, rated very highly across the board, and off the charts makeup. Bonus points for hailing from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania. Standout player, did just as well as Milledge and Young for Team USA last summer.

Say, if the SOX were to take this kid, it means he Must make the 40 man roster and have to remain for 1 year right? are the chances that good? why is he "available" then?

Daver
05-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Say, if the SOX were to take this kid, it means he Must make the 40 man roster and have to remain for 1 year right? are the chances that good? why is he "available" then?

This the rule 4 draft,not the rule 5 draft.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by daver
This the rule 4 draft,not the rule 5 draft.

Oops, I didnt see that. THanks for pointing that out.
Hell, it sounds like Chris Lubanski is the one we should go for......

bc2k
05-05-2003, 07:06 PM
The Sox must stop drafting High School pitchers since they can't develop them. Suck up the signing bonus and draft some proven college pitchers. We need Priors, Mulders, and Zitoes, not Garlands.

Daver
05-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
The Sox must stop drafting High School pitchers since they can't develop them. Suck up the signing bonus and draft some proven college pitchers. We need Priors, Mulders, and Zitoes, not Garlands.

In the last three drafts the Sox have drafted exactly 3 HS pitchers in the first five rounds,I don't see this as a problem.

And the Sox didn't draft Garland.

hose
05-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
That would be Kennedy-Kenrick CF Chris Lubanski, rated very highly across the board, and off the charts makeup. Bonus points for hailing from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania. Standout player, did just as well as Milledge and Young for Team USA last summer.


Sounds good to me.

After seeing Lee, Harris, and Daubach roaming the outfield the other night I can't think of a lousier trio.

pissonthecubs
05-05-2003, 09:45 PM
how about forgeting about any kind of pitching prospect. an outfielder, someone who can play left field and has no problem flashing the leather everynight. or a catcher to bring up behind Olivio. i'm just tired of having scott ruffcorn or john rouch being thrown at us.


___________
"It takes hundreds of nuts to build a motorcycle, but just one in a car to wreck it."

DrCrawdad
05-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Time for some name dropping...

FWIW at a wedding last Saturday Essie Hairston told me that Jerry (White Sox rookie coach) is coming into to Chicago for the draft.

Vsahajpal
05-10-2003, 12:20 AM
White Sox are said to be very interested in Brandon Wood, a SS from Horizon HS in Scottsdale, Arizona. He's 6'3 180 lb, and one of the top middle infielders in the draft. I've only seen one report on him, from about a month ago:

A shortstop for now, Wood is a live bodied, projectable 63 and 180 with an elongated torso and loose baseball actions.

At the plate, he is wide to start and after a quick lift of the front heel and a hitch that works as a loadig device, he is very compact through the hitting zone and finishes with a lift conducive high follow through. Woods bat speed is just fine right now and it should only get better with added maturity and upper body strength. His swing plane and trigger twitch are very promising and the leverage he gets suggests that he could run into some good power down the road.

Defensively, Wood is at short for now but Im not sure that he has the overall glove/arm actions to stay at that spot for the duration- and how many high school shortstops do?

Not to say there isnt athleticism here because there is. Wood has the twitch and some quick feet but he doesnt look like a completely natural fielder at short and his arm may not be suited for that spot either. That said, I think hed make a heckuva 2nd baseman where his range, feet and arm would all play just fine. I asked a long time scout where hed project Wood and he told me third base- which makes plenty of sense considering his size and power potential.

Hangar18
05-10-2003, 09:55 AM
as far as Drafting goes, I am all about Drafting the BEST available player, and not to draft for certain positions. At least for the first round. Which of these guys is a Franchise-Maker, Do-not-pass-this-guy-up, mark-prior-type ???

MarkEdward
05-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
White Sox are said to be very interested in Brandon Wood, a SS from Horizon HS in Scottsdale, Arizona. He's 6'3 180 lb, and one of the top middle infielders in the draft. I've only seen one report on him, from about a month ago:

Ahhh! No high school players in the first round, please (at least he's not a pitcher). If we want to draft a 3B/SS/2B, why don't we take Aaron Hill out of LSU? It seems like he'll be around when we draft.

Also, have you given up on Bakker? His strikeouts have gone down, but if he's around in the second, I may take a flyer on him.

We do need a catcher somewhere in the system (another reason for keeping Mark Johnson).

Finally, where can you get stats like OBP and SLG for college players?

Vsahajpal
05-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Ahhh! No high school players in the first round, please (at least he's not a pitcher). If we want to draft a 3B/SS/2B, why don't we take Aaron Hill out of LSU? It seems like he'll be around when we draft.

Also, have you given up on Bakker? His strikeouts have gone down, but if he's around in the second, I may take a flyer on him.

We do need a catcher somewhere in the system (another reason for keeping Mark Johnson).

Finally, where can you get stats like OBP and SLG for college players?

I think Kyle's stock has dropped, he was a consensus top 10 pick, and now it looks like he may fall out of the first round.

Aaron Hill would be perfect at 15.

If I need a player's stats, I usually go to google. Say for example I want to look at Shane Costa's stats, I'll go there and do a search for Cal St. Fullerton Titans baseball. Most of the big baseball schools have their own websites with updated stats.