PDA

View Full Version : The Sox need some hooks.

Dadawg_77
05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
If you subscribe to BP, go read Prospectus Today. It all about the Sox and their struggles.

The article basically comes down to the notion that Sox are suffering because they have no reliable lefties in the lineup. Hitting .229/.305/.396 vs righties and .293/.369/.508 vs lefties. The offefenive is 12 in runs per game and 10 in EQA in the AL.

The article brings up the fact since the Sox have no real good lefties at AAA they will need to make a trade to correct this problem. The article brought up putting Lee on teh market and Grieve or Catalanotto. Or even going for broke and getting a Larry Walker (if JR is willing to pony, could be had Cheap) or Adam Dunn or JD Drew. I guess does anyone have any idea what lefties are out there and what it would take to get them.

Another fact some what interesting is by EQA, Frank Thomas is the best Sox hitter so far leading the team with .319. Jimenez is second at .317 and Mags is .292.

Huisj
05-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Problem with frank is that he's not really producing any runs right now. sure, his OBP is through the roof because he's walked so much already, and while walks are great, you want your #3 guy to hit the ball sometimes, especially with the guys behind him not consistently driving in runs. every thomas walk sets up another ordonez double play. what's thomas on pace for this year, something like 60 RBI? that's pathetic especially with the way jiminez has hit.

i think this equivalent average thing is one example of a situation where stats definitely don't tell the story.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Problem with frank is that he's not really producing any runs right now. sure, his OBP is through the roof because he's walked so much already, and while walks are great, you want your #3 guy to hit the ball sometimes, especially with the guys behind him not consistently driving in runs. every thomas walk sets up another ordonez double play. what's thomas on pace for this year, something like 60 RBI? that's pathetic especially with the way jiminez has hit.

i think this equivalent average thing is one example of a situation where stats definitely don't tell the story.

Im laughing at the Thomas BB = Ordonez 6-4-3 heh heh. But what JM should be realizing is HEY, if Big Frank CANT get the runs in right now...But hes getting on base, WHY NOT HAVE HIM BATTING 2nd?? SOmeone brought it up here, wish I remembered who. if your getting your first two guys on base, our chances of a LEGIT 3 and 4 hitter getting him in Rise Significantly. Thats not the solution im sure, but heck, I do remember in 1983, when Fisk was moved to #2 and man, he was Fantastic in that spot. Right now, THOMAS would Help IMMENSELY if he was batting 2nd. even if just a couple of Months. A managers Job is to make the MOST of WHAT YOU HAVE. You have a rather large man not giving you RBIS, but hes Getting on Base thank goodness. LETS USE THAT TO OUR ADVANTAGE

DonkeyKongerko
05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
I think the Sox need a book... called
"How to Utilize the Opposite Field and not Ground into Double Plays every friggin time".

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
I think the Sox need a book... called
"How to Utilize the Opposite Field and not Ground into Double Plays every friggin time".

Maybe something simpler...