PDA

View Full Version : JOSE, jose jose jose, JOSE, jose.

bc2k
05-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Jose Valentin has a good chance at going to this year’s All-Star game at Comiskey. Whether the Sox get 4 All-Star representatives or just 1, Jose Valentin deserves a/the spot.

He has a good chance this year since the usual plethora of AL SS talent has diminished thus far. Tejada isn’t hitting like an MVP (.169,5,15), Eckstein (.250, 2, 10), Garciaparra (.287, 4, 11), Guillen (.292, 1, 12), and Vizquel (.264, 1, 8) haven’t done anything special. Factor in an ineligible Derek Jeter, and the only clear SS that is above Valentin is Pay-Rod (.345, 10, 26).

There is a good possibility that this could be Jose’s last season with the White Sox. There is no player that has done more for this team since 2000 than Mr. Valentin, and I am hoping this man gets a warranted All-Star appearance.

Pay-Rod will probably win the starting SS spot due to fan voting; Valentin, if the team were picked today, would get the back-up role. I’m basing this on the 1999 All-Star game when Jose Offerman of the Red Sox was given the All-Star nod over Ray Durham – who had better stats – only because the game was held in Fenway. Since there is no clear second place at SS, Jose Valentin should reap the benefit of home-field advantage at Comiskey.

While in recent history Sox players have performed well in the All-Star game, would anyone here want any other player than Jose to represent us, and show what White Sox baseball stands for? Or do you prefer showing the rest of our country our lethargic, double-play hitters, who show no emotion on the field or any signs that they respect the game.

Jose is the anti-Kevin Brown. A man who understands what the All-Star game is for – COMPETITION BETWEEN THE BEST PLAYERS! Jose wouldn’t stand for a tie even if he had to take the pitchers’ mound himself.

Pitcher-of-the-month Estaban Loaiza is the only other Sox player currently considered for the All-Star game. But his history tells us he will not continue his April performances, and his era and losses will only rise, thus leaving us with one All-Star representative: Jose Valentin. It is possible to make a case for DaMaso Marte, but he has yet to dominate like he did in 2002.

Jose’s last year in a Sox uniform is a perfect time for Jose to get his first and probably only All-Star appearance. Jose wants to go more than any of his 24 teammates. Since his teammates don’t have the heart for the game Jose has, he probably again will be deprived of post-season play. He took a pay cut to play for us because he wanted to play for a winner. He doesn’t play for money, doesn’t play for fame, he plays because he loves the game, and I like to believe for us fans too.

We have Crede refusing to play winter ball while Jose plays for Mayagnez in Puerto Rico every year. We have former All-Star Frank Thomas whining about money and where he should bat in the lineup and play in the field, while Jose learns two new positions at age 30+ because he thinks it gives his team a better chance at winning. Getting thrown around the lineup, again, because he trusts his manager is giving his team the best chance at winning. He Doesn’t even complain when getting moved for a clearly inferior, one-dimensional at best, SS. We have Magglio lifting weights and playing hopscotch in Miami with Pay-Rod, while Jose is facing live pitchers in meaningful games. Is it any wonder why Jose is always at the top of the league in batting with RISP?

Watching his teammates ground into double plays or put on a Thomas shift (where fielders set in foul territory to guard against the Thomas pop-up) and then goes out and finishes the season third in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in average with RISP! First to third, second to home, love taps to Sammy, calculated baserunning risk taker, the greatest player I have seen at avoiding the slide, plays to win. It seems so simple, but if it was, Jose wouldn’t stand out of the crowd like he does. We Sox fans already know it, but how do we show the rest of the game that Jose is a special player who plays at a level higher than his teammates? With an All-Star appearance. Some thanks we’ve given him. For all he has put up with, for all he has done for us Sox fans, he deserves to be our 2003 White Sox All-Star.

Jose Valentin is the only winner we have. Come July 15, I want to buy a black colored Sox hat with the gold All-Star logo, complete with #22 etched on the side.

jeremyb1
05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
if the rosters had to be chosen today i'd go with jimenez. he's be incredible and there aren't that many good 2B out there.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 09:28 PM
I miss Jose Valentin already. Part of the reason I wear 22 on my black jersey. A guy like him, there HAS to be a way to keep him on the White Sox the rest of his life

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 09:32 PM
BC2K, that was well said. One of the more Prouder moments Ive had as a Sox Fan, was when he smoked that HR in Urinal Field, and he blew the love taps to the camera. (kudos to sammy for not letting it be an issue also)

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
A guy like him, there HAS to be a way to keep him on the White Sox the rest of his life

Right on. He didn't start here, but let's hope he finishes here.

bc2k
05-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
if the rosters had to be chosen today i'd go with jimenez. he's be incredible and there aren't that many good 2B out there.

Good point, I overlooked him.

Looking at the poll, there are 12 people that would prefer a different Sox player to be a 2003 All-Star before Jose Valentin. For those 12 people, who deserves it more? Who is playing better than Jose this year? I'm sure all 12 people didn't pick Jimenez.

MHOUSE
05-06-2003, 09:11 AM
I think it would be between Jose, Jimenez, Maggs, and Wunsch.

whitesoxwilkes
05-06-2003, 10:40 AM
I've already voted multiple times for Jose and Jiminez. Debating whether or not C lee deserves a vote.

baggio202
05-06-2003, 11:11 AM
jose has a shot...jeter isnt a factor and tejada and nomar are playing like crap...nomar has 8 errors already!!

dllrbll7
05-06-2003, 11:29 AM
What about Loaiza? I know he had one bad outing but he still is 5-1.