PDA

View Full Version : Tetsu Yofu: 1st Japanese Sox Player?

Foulke You
05-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Approximately one month from the end of Spring Training, Yofu is no longer a Far Eastern mystery. The 29-year-old began the season at Double-A Birmingham, where he pitched in seven games as a reliever.

Yofu worked 14 innings, allowed 11 hits and one earned run, while walking five and striking out 15. He picked up one save, to go along with his 0.64 earned run average.

When David Sanders was promoted to the White Sox two weeks ago, Yofu was promoted to Triple-A Charlotte the following day. He has since worked 3 1/3 innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs, striking out three.

Tetsu Yofu (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030505&content_id=305426&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp )

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 02:01 PM
I doubt he'll be a significant contributor. He wasn't a big deal in Japan. In fact he struggled to stay in the Japanese leagues.

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I doubt he'll be a significant contributor. He wasn't a big deal in Japan. In fact he struggled to stay in the Japanese leagues.

Let me get this straight. The Sox scouted the Japanese leagues and then signed some mid-level middle relief guy in the hopes they would catch lightning in a bottle?

That is SOOO JR...

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Let me get this straight. The Sox scouted the Japanese leagues and then signed some mid-level middle relief guy in the hopes they would catch lightning in a bottle?

That is SOOO JR...

Would you expect anything else?

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Would you expect anything else?

No, but I always HOPE for more. Don't ask me why...

Paulwny
05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That is SOOO JR...

No, we didn't scout the Japanese leagues. This guy was signed while he was playing in the Taiwanese Leagues, really strange.

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
No, we didn't scout the Japanese leagues. This guy was signed while he was playing in the Taiwanese Leagues, really strange.

The Taiwanese league often lands players that don't stick in the Japanese major league. Tetsu Yofu is one of those guys.

Paulwny
05-05-2003, 02:39 PM
The Taiwanese league often lands players that don't stick in the Japanese major league. Tetsu Yofu is one of those guys.

Very true, but how much ability can he have if he can't make it in the Japanese League ? Most Chinese players hope their good enough to be signed by a Japanese team. It think its strange we have a scout looking at Taiwanese baseball.

Foulke You
05-05-2003, 02:50 PM
He did put up impressive numbers in AA this year and seems to be doing OK in AAA. I say give him a chance. He throws in the low '90s and has a slider and a splitter. Can't do any worse than the "we have jobs because we're left handed" brothers, David Sanders and Mike Porzio. Obviously, the scouts thought he had something or they wouldn't have brought him here or promoted him to AAA.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
this scares me right here

But, Yofu made friends with Carlos Castillo , the former White Sox hurler with great talent who lost the battle of the bulge in trying to stay in the Major Leagues and became part of the Hawks’ rotation. They were such good friends that Yofu came to live with Castillo in Miami in November, and worked out with him on a daily basis.

the only bad part was he is buds with the burger king himself. rest of it sounds good. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030505&content_id=305426&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2003, 03:03 PM
tetsu's website is cool too (http://www.yofutetsu.com/home.htm)

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
tetsu's website is cool too (http://www.yofutetsu.com/home.htm)

Scrubs should not have websites.

HawkDJ
05-05-2003, 06:23 PM
If you read the whole article then it doesn't appear the Sox were scouting him overseas. Carlos Castillo recommended him to a Sox scout when they were in Flordia and Yofu worked out for the Sox, Reds and Indians and eventually signed with the Sox.

MHOUSE
05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Perhaps we could scout the teams that we play next on the schedule and figure out their strengths and weaknesses so that our pitchers didn't look completely clueless against them? That might be a little more helpful than going to freaking Taiwan. It'd be nice if this kid pans out, he seems to have put up ok numbers so far. How old is he?

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Perhaps we could scout the teams that we play next on the schedule and figure out their strengths and weaknesses so that our pitchers didn't look completely clueless against them? That might be a little more helpful than going to freaking Taiwan. It'd be nice if this kid pans out, he seems to have put up ok numbers so far. How old is he?

29. old, yet he did play pro ball overseas.

pissonthecubs
05-05-2003, 09:52 PM
just what we need to get this season back on track, a 29 year old pitcher!!! world series here we come!

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
You guys totally spoiled my fun. I intentionally neglected to mention Yofu's name hoping to inspire Lip man's can't miss kid spiel.