PDA

View Full Version : Move Thomas in the batting order

gosox41
05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Outside of the obvious ways to shake up the team, I think it would be a good idea to move Thomas to the #2 spot in the batting order. It did wonders for Fisk and the Sox in '83.

Of course that's not my logic for doing the move. Frank has a great ability to get on base. Having him bad right behind Jiminez can only help D'Angelo. Frank will do what he does best (which lately is walking and not hitting for power). This helps set the table sooner for the big boppers. Ordonez, Konerko, and Lee once they break out of their slumps can only benefit. Of course this does give Mags a chance to hit into more DP's.

While I'm at it, I would move Valentin to 9th in the order, almost as a second lead off hitter. Unless Jiminez leads off an inning, it seems like he is always batting after the catcher makes an out. Move the catcher to 8th in the order so this situation will be less likely.

Just my 2 cents. Fire away at the idea.

Bob

DonkeyKongerko
05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
I like the idea for alot of players but the problem is this is Frank we're talking about. The Big Whine might take it as an insult to his manhood if he's moved to 2nd.

MHOUSE
05-05-2003, 09:18 PM
I would like Jerry to think about it, make a lineup, and keep it for a series regardless of pitchers and rests. This next series make a 1-9 and keep it until Seattle. Moving guys around in the middle every game didn't work last year and hasn't helped this year. I understand getting guys pt and keeping people fresh, but not at the expense of roles and wins. Harris bats twice #2 then #9? I mean come on.

Harris
Jimenez
Maggs
Valentin
Konerko
Thomas
Lee
Crede
Olivo

maybe? just pick something and keep with it.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Outside of the obvious ways to shake up the team, I think it would be a good idea to move Thomas to the #2 spot in the batting order. It did wonders for Fisk and the Sox in '83.

Of course that's not my logic for doing the move. Frank has a great ability to get on base. Having him bad right behind Jiminez can only help D'Angelo. Frank will do what he does best (which lately is walking and not hitting for power). This helps set the table sooner for the big boppers. Ordonez, Konerko, and Lee once they break out of their slumps can only benefit. Of course this does give Mags a chance to hit into more DP's.

While I'm at it, I would move Valentin to 9th in the order, almost as a second lead off hitter. Unless Jiminez leads off an inning, it seems like he is always batting after the catcher makes an out. Move the catcher to 8th in the order so this situation will be less likely.

Just my 2 cents. Fire away at the idea.

Bob
BOB, I like this idea alot. Put frank at #2, hes getting on base often, lets use this to our advantage.
1. Jimenez 2b
2. Thomas dj
3. Maggs rf
4. Konerko 1b
5. Lee lf
6. Crede 3b
7. Valentin ss
8. Olivo c
9. Harris cf
This doesnt solve the speed at top and bottom of the order, but we certainly have it at the bottom and ability of one of those guys to sacrafice is Key. this lineup could work very well.

Kilroy
05-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Maybe its just me, but the reason to move Thomas in the line-up would be more to get the players who are swinging well into the 3, 4 , 5 holes. Unfortunately, there is no such player on the Sox at the moment, so moving anyone makes not a whole lot of sense, imo of course. That would just be making a move for the sake of making a move...

Dadawg_77
05-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Maybe its just me, but the reason to move Thomas in the line-up would be more to get the players who are swinging well into the 3, 4 , 5 holes. Unfortunately, there is no such player on the Sox at the moment, so moving anyone makes not a whole lot of sense, imo of course. That would just be making a move for the sake of making a move...

What is this heresy? Why even question the logic behind the move? We all know offensive struggles fall solely of feet Frank Thomas. It is his fault for getting base which cause Mags to hit into DP. Or it is his fault that Sox over paid for a dime a dozen player in Konerko. Or that Lee hasn't improved on his second half of last year but rather regressed. I can't believe you would even consider to blame someone besides Frank is reprehensible.

gosox41
05-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
BOB, I like this idea alot. Put frank at #2, hes getting on base often, lets use this to our advantage.
1. Jimenez 2b
2. Thomas dj
3. Maggs rf
4. Konerko 1b
5. Lee lf
6. Crede 3b
7. Valentin ss
8. Olivo c
9. Harris cf
This doesnt solve the speed at top and bottom of the order, but we certainly have it at the bottom and ability of one of those guys to sacrafice is Key. this lineup could work very well.

If only we can get Manuel to do it.

OBP is the most important factor to scoring runs. Some say it's 30% more importnat then slugging %. Eventually Mags and the rest will start to hit. Until then, put pressure on the pitcher. Jiminez could only improve with Frank hitting right behind him so I'd expect a slight increase in his OBP also.

Bob