PDA

View Full Version : Bull Run

hose
05-05-2003, 09:23 AM
The first series with Oakland/Seattle could be compared with the first battle of Manassas or Bull Run.

Oakland/Seattle is obviously the South while the Sox are the North.

The South had superior leadership with the Confederate Army of the Potomac under Brigadier General Pierre G.T. Beauregard., and the Army of the Shenandoah was under the command of Brigadier General Joseph E. Johnston.
Beauregard, a Frenchman , graduated second in his West Point class in 1953 and was just coming off a victory at Fort Sumpter, excepting the surrender from a one time instructor of his at West Point, Major Robert Anderson.
The South also had the services of Major General J.E.B. Stuart, leading a fast and risk taking cavalry.

The North had Brigadier General Irvin McDowell.

The battle came down to McDowell ordering two artillery batteries to advance to quiet some Confederate firing. These batteries were counterattacked and overrun by Confederate infantry, which led to the rout of the North's infantry support of the guns.
Beauregard gave the order for a general advance and the Union lines started a orderly retreat which turned into a disorganized rout.

The North's big guns were silenced which led to their defeat.

Sound familiar?

Sox at Oakland/Seattle .....2nd Bull Run

North gets a new leader, General Pope, but now has to face General Robert E. Lee.

Another severe defeat for the North, but the North was not routed as it was in the first battle of Manassas and was able to
retreat in good order. The advancing Southern army had been stopped and there was no pursuit.
The North found itself in dire straights on the last day of the battle and against all odds stopped General Longstreet in his tracks . This orderly retreat was one of the tuning points of the war and gave the North something to build off of.

The battles of both Bull Run were early in the war and even though the North was being counted out at the time they came back and won the war.

harwar
05-05-2003, 10:05 AM
If the White Sox players are smart then they will spend as much time as they can at the - other - Bull Run.A once famous whore house across the bay from Oakland in Frisco where sailing ship mates and their crews used to go to haul their ashes and forget the worlds troubles.

hose
05-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by harwar
If the White Sox players are smart then they will spend as much time as they can at the - other - Bull Run.A once famous whore house across the bay from Oakland in Frisco where sailing ship mates and their crews used to go to haul their ashes and forget the worlds troubles.

I'm sure General Manuel has had his operatives scout out the area and is fully aware of his surroundings and what he is up against.

Bull Run ...heh?
May be Dave Stewart could actually get what he paid for there :D:

gosox3072
05-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Wow that was deep hose!!!
I hope this is a good parellel

hose
05-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
Wow that was deep hose!!!
I hope this is a good parellel

Well gosox I notice that you are from Galena, that's a good sign :smile:

Same town of U.S. Grant

CHARGE !!!!!!!!

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 02:19 PM
I think this road trip will be more akin to Gen. Custer's 264 men dropping in on 2500 representatives of the Sioux Nation.

hose
05-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I think this road trip will be more akin to Gen. Custer's 264 men dropping in on 2500 representatives of the Sioux Nation.

Well at least we still have the 7th Cavalry song "GarryOwen"
with us. :cool:

http://www.historicalrarities.com/garryowen.htm

Ol Aches & Pains
05-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by hose
The first series with Oakland/Seattle could be compared with the first battle of Manassas or Bull Run.

Oakland/Seattle is obviously the South while the Sox are the North.

The South had superior leadership with the Confederate Army of the Potomac under Brigadier General Pierre G.T. Beauregard., and the Army of the Shenandoah was under the command of Brigadier General Joseph E. Johnston.
Beauregard, a Frenchman , graduated second in his West Point class in 1953 and was just coming off a victory at Fort Sumpter, excepting the surrender from a one time instructor of his at West Point, Major Robert Anderson.
The South also had the services of Major General J.E.B. Stuart, leading a fast and risk taking cavalry.

The North had Brigadier General Irvin McDowell.

The battle came down to McDowell ordering two artillery batteries to advance to quiet some Confederate firing. These batteries were counterattacked and overrun by Confederate infantry, which led to the rout of the North's infantry support of the guns.
Beauregard gave the order for a general advance and the Union lines started a orderly retreat which turned into a disorganized rout.

The North's big guns were silenced which led to their defeat.

Sound familiar?

Sox at Oakland/Seattle .....2nd Bull Run

North gets a new leader, General Pope, but now has to face General Robert E. Lee.

Another severe defeat for the North, but the North was not routed as it was in the first battle of Manassas and was able to
retreat in good order. The advancing Southern army had been stopped and there was no pursuit.
The North found itself in dire straights on the last day of the battle and against all odds stopped General Longstreet in his tracks . This orderly retreat was one of the tuning points of the war and gave the North something to build off of.

The battles of both Bull Run were early in the war and even though the North was being counted out at the time they came back and won the war.

At 1st. Manassas (Bull Run), a lot of the well-to-do folks from Washington packed a picnic lunch and rode out to the battlefield in carriages to witness the slaughter. I don't know if the battle was better attended than the two Sox series in question, but I wouldn't doubt it.

TornLabrum
05-05-2003, 09:19 PM
The Sox this past weekend have reminded me of the French army in any battle you can think of.

hose
05-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
At 1st. Manassas (Bull Run), a lot of the well-to-do folks from Washington packed a picnic lunch and rode out to the battlefield in carriages to witness the slaughter. I don't know if the battle was better attended than the two Sox series in question, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Billy Koch's great great grandfather was lobbing artillery rounds way wide of the Confederate lines and into the picnic area. :o:

hose
05-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The Sox this past weekend have reminded me of the French army in any battle you can think of.

Not the the Sox put up a great fight in getting swept but I wish they had a little bit of the balls that the French did at Camerone in the 1860's

65 men of the French Foreign Legion were protecting a gold shipment and found themselves surrounded by 2,000 Mexicans and fought doggedly down to the last man.

Refusing to surrender the 5 men left fixed their bayonets and charged.

TornLabrum
05-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by hose
Not the the Sox put up a great fight in getting swept but I wish they had a little bit of the balls that the French did at Camerone in the 1860's

65 men of the French Foreign Legion were protecting a gold shipment and found themselves surrounded by 2,000 Mexicans and fought doggedly down to the last man.

Refusing to surrender the 5 men left fixed their bayonets and charged.

Key Phrase: "Foreign Legion." The enlisted men are not Frenchmen.

hose
05-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Key Phrase: "Foreign Legion." The enlisted men are not Frenchmen.

LOL !!