PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 5/5

Lip Man 1
05-05-2003, 09:15 AM
''To a man in 2000, everyone was having career years'' --Jerry Manuel

Is this validation for those of us who thought 2000 was nothing but a fluke? and is Manuel using this comment to try in someway to defend his record the past two plus seasons?

Lip

maurice
05-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I was really bothered when I read this. It reeks of a cop out, mainly because it's simply not true. The 2000 team had plenty of young players who were improving, and a number of veterans who (at least arguably) already had at least one equal or better season.

Among pitchers (virtually all of whom are gone), only Sirotka, Parque, and Simas clearly had career years. Sirotka and Parque were young and probably would have had at least one better season if they hadn't suffered serious arm injuries.

The only Sox hitters who clearly had career years in 2000 were Jose and The Milkman (who is gone anyway).

:firejerry

RKMeibalane
05-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Manuel needs to go. This comment only confirms what myself and others have suspected for sometime now. Manuel does not care. Last night, when the Mariners were playing homerun derby with Bartolo Colon, Manuel stood in the dugout smirking. Then, when Frank hit a ball that would have gone out on a normal day, Manuel stood there dumbfounded. The man has no passion for his job. He's hurting the team with his poor decisions and daily lineup changes. I'm sick of him.

gosox41
05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Manuel needs to go. This comment only confirms what myself and others have suspected for sometime now. Manuel does not care. Last night, when the Mariners were playing homerun derby with Bartolo Colon, Manuel stood in the dugout smirking. Then, when Frank hit a ball that would have gone out on a normal day, Manuel stood there dumbfounded. The man has no passion for his job. He's hurting the team with his poor decisions and daily lineup changes. I'm sick of him.

Hasn't Manuel made comments about leaving the game if he ever wins a World Series and retiring to Californina? Sounds like he's begging to be fired so he can still collect his money through 2004. I asssume he doesn't get paid if he resigns, but if he's fired the team is forced to pay him.

It's time...to give him the boot.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
You know it is really bad when Jerry Manuel starts running down the single-greatest accomplishment of his entire career in baseball.

Besides that, it's factually wrong, just like everyone who says "they all had career years." Hell, even Manos had a 1996 season comparable to his 2000 numbers. As someone else noted, "career year" Perry was traded, and everyone else was young enough to be rightfully regarded as having even better seasons ahead of them. Gimme a break with this crap... :angry:

Manuel is in deep trouble, and he knows it. That's why we're hearing this sort of nonsense from him. It is no longer a question of "if" he is gone, but simply "when." Here's hoping plenty of others are shown the door, too.

DonkeyKongerko
05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
I think Manuel is Satan with manners. He wants to bleed this organization to death and whither the fan base with this drudgery on the field. He instills laziness whenever he opens his mouth and always keeps an even keel to piss everyone off. I think JR had JM hired because he has a secret agenda to move this team to Tennessee or Carolina and he knew the best way would be to alienate all the fans. I'd say he's making fair progress so far.

duke of dorwood
05-05-2003, 07:30 PM
And who's the idiot that has these "career players" batting in the same places they did in their "career" years.

He's a freakin dolt

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 08:28 PM

Is this validation for those of us who thought 2000 was nothing but a fluke? and is Manuel using this comment to try in someway to defend his record the past two plus seasons?

Lip

Do you have a source on this?

Lip Man 1
05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Kermit:

You're right I should have posted where it came from. Here it is:

Manuel not feeling the heat (Chicago Sun Times)
May 5, 2003

BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER

I'm just surprised he would say something like this. It takes the luster off everything he and the club accomplised in 2000 doesn't it? That's why I wonder if he's trying to now start "downplaying" that to help explain the underachieving since 2001.

Personally I said then and say now that I thought 2000 was a fluke akin to the 69 Mets but it is unusual when you hear the manager of that club say the same thing.

Lip

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Kermit:

You're right I should have posted where it came from. Here it is:

Manuel not feeling the heat (Chicago Sun Times)
May 5, 2003

BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER

I'm just surprised he would say something like this. It takes the luster off everything he and the club accomplised in 2000 doesn't it? That's why I wonder if he's trying to now start "downplaying" that to help explain the underachieving since 2001.

Personally I said then and say now that I thought 2000 was a fluke akin to the 69 Mets but it is unusual when you hear the manager of that club say the same thing.

Lip

I'm pretty shocked he'd say something like this as well. I have to disagree though. You can look at the numbers and tell those guys weren't all having career years. The front office has just done a terrible job since 2000. We've made all the wrong moves. It's not that tough to see.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-05-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
I think Manuel is Satan with manners. He wants to bleed this organization to death and whither the fan base with this drudgery on the field.

Sounds more like a parasite than Satan.