PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti calls for Manuel's head

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 09:10 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay05.html

Our favorite columnist of all time has officially called for Jerry Manuel's head. I feel some respect for him for this article. It's so hard to say that. Interesting article. This is the clincher. Manuel will not be around for much longer with Mariotti on him to be fired.

thecell
05-05-2003, 09:37 AM
agreed

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Isn't Mariotti still trying to get Jauron fired? He certainly is trying to get Randy Walker fired. And how long did it take Jay to "get rid" of Jerry Krause?

Mammoo
05-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Mariotti is absolutely correct!

It's not all Manuel's fault but something must be done to inspire this team. If Williams is insistent on keeping the manager, he must make a very bold move trade wise to improve the club.

Trade Jon Rauch, trade Joe Crede, trade Willie Harris, trade Aaron Rowand or a highly regarded prospect (not Borchard)! Just do something!

This is absolutely ridiculous and everyone associated with the White Sox franchise should be embarrassed. :angry:

Scotty347
05-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Great article. Hopefully this media "blitz" that is starting to gain momentum will be enough to get this done.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2003, 02:00 PM
I appreciated his comment about managers are human and have families. I also appreciate his comments that this is not all manager gandhi's fault.

Lip

soxnut
05-05-2003, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mammoo
[B]Mariotti is absolutely correct!

Trade Jon Rauch, trade Joe Crede, trade Willie Harris, trade Aaron Rowand or a highly regarded prospect (not Borchard)! Just do something!

I wouldn't trade Crede or Harris. Crede is one of the best fundamental defensive players we have, if not in all of baseball, Harris is a decent bunter and can bat lefty. He adds dimention to this lineup.

We shoudn't trade for the sake of trading. Honestly we should either trade Lee or Konerko for a left-handed hitter who has decent speed and a high average. Wishful thinking, but that would be the shot in the arm that we need. :smile:

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 06:28 PM
All I know is, the next few days are going to be VERY CRUCIAL to the future of the White Sox as we know them. If we put in a Bad Manager unable to right the ship and get us heading back to Destination October, this team will once again, be broken up into small bits and sold off like a Bad Corporation Again. We'll be fed the old "Were Rebuilding" phase, Please give us 4 years and be patient with us bs. This team has to be able to look to the Future, while looking to right now, something we really havent been able to do. The cubs have had some of the most tremendous "Luck" going right now, somehow fielding a "team" by sifting thru the garbage long enough and addig to what they had already (though the GOAT will have his say about all of that "luck" Shortly heh heh), with gaining players/manager, some of it, pure luck, most of it, pure Greed and Self-Interest on the part by the MLB and dumb owners. THe sox have only proven that were not that "lucky" right now. Sure, the proverbial 72" Flat Screen TV didnt fall off the truck right in front of 35th and Shields, (much as it did for the cubs with baker,alou, clement and prior) but that Shouldnt stop MGMT from working That Much Harder. THey seem content to just sit on their hands and take a "see what happens" approach. The Sox cant afford to do that. They are, though some may not see it, are fighting for their chicago baseball lives. if they let that other team get to the promised land first, we might as well pack it all up and be Cardinal Fans. THIS IS GO TIME for the sox right now, and whatever decision they make/Dont Make is going to have its Consequences in the Oh so very Near Future. Im a little worried at how this whole things going to play out. sorry if that sounds stream-of-consciousness-like, but this Organization is at a CrossRoads whether we see it or not.

lowesox
05-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Great article. I like the idea of Leyland running things. He's one hell of a manager.

duke of dorwood
05-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Right, how about a veteran manager for a change. I believe Jim Fregosi was the last one we had-with little talent. We had LaRussa (new), Manual (new) Bevington (new) Lamont (new). See a cheap trend here? And no championship either.

TornLabrum
05-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Right, how about a veteran manager for a change. I believe Jim Fregosi was the last one we had-with little talent. We had LaRussa (new), Manual (new) Bevington (new) Lamont (new). See a cheap trend here? And no championship either.

Torborg had major league experience before managing the Sox.

Nellie Comiskey
05-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Mariotti speaketh the truth...Manuel is not the only one to blame, however being the captain...he must go down with the ship. Gary Ward is a major reason for the sox dismal performances. These guys should be held responsible...however so should the players. There are few holding up their end of the deal hitting/pitching. The deals KW has done over the past year make sense...they just have not worked out for some reason. There is no question that a change is necessary...but where do you start? I believe that JM's days are done and as soon as they figure the answer on who replaces him and who stays over from his staff then the ax will fall. Remember when Lamont was canned...after a disastrous series in Cleveland. He will be canned on the road and I have to think it coming soon. :(:

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Jerry Manuel is a nice guy, best of luck to him in his future endeavours. But for now, these stinking Sox need a Kick In The Ass, let me do it. Give me one week with them. I'll get us to win at least 3 games, just by playing the hot hand. the rest is luck and making the right move at the right time