PDA

View Full Version : Ken Williams KNOWS how to piss fans off!

ssang
05-05-2003, 08:51 AM
:angry: Is it just me or is anyone else just flat-out pissed about what Ken Williams recently re-iterated? I'm talking about the fact that Ken Williams said he will NOT fire Jerry Manuel this season or next. He made this comment last year and has re-iterated the statement. I ask this......How the hell can you say for certain that someone's job is %100 safe? Let's say that hypotheticaly (sp?), the Sox went 15-147 this season. Would Williams not fire him just because he simply said Jerry's job is safe??? According to Kenny's statement Manuel would be safe. My point is that it's proposterous to claim that a manager, or player, or whomever is safe all the way up to an entire year ahead of time!!!

Now does this mean that our stubborn GM will not fire Manuel simply because an entire freakin' year ago he said that the job was safe for the 2003 season? Or does it mean that Manuel will be fired and that Kenny's comments didn't mean dick? Obviously I hope it's the latter of these two. But if so, what does that say about Kenny? I think it says that he's a moron! Anyone agree?

Of course my opinion of Kenny isn't helped by the fact that he has made some GOD AWFUL moves. There's plenty but I'd say the biggest two are the Ritchie deal and the Koch deal. I mean let us not forget that the Ritchie trade was so bad that it's comical. Purely Pathetic! Kenny should've known not to trade Foulke for Koch as soon as he heard that Billy Beane wanted to make the trade. We all know (and Kenny should've as well) that Beane is the polar opposite GM as KW. Quite simply, Beane is the best and Kenny is the worst. So the fact that Billy was willing to do the trade should have been an automatic red flag for KW. But alas, Kenny had to get burned again. Billy Koch is HORRIBLE in every sense of the word. Billy Beane should have Kenny's number on speed dial.

I apologize for the rant but I just wanted to send out a reminder that Kenny Williams is still a pathetic GM and we musn't forget it. I think we've been too nice (or not mean enough) to him recently on the message board. So I am officaly starting the anti-Ken Williams posts again. And trust me he deserves all of the jeers that we can give him. :angry:

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Kenny Williams has made some moves that look real good on paper but the man has been made a fool of a couple of times (Ritchie, Koch because he may be hurt). It's not that that bothers me as much as his intense loyalty to Jerry Manuel. He hasn't managed to team well since the first half of 2000. The underachieving of this team is directly connected to him. Pissed is an understatement. This season is a wash if there isn't a change.

harwar
05-05-2003, 09:18 AM
I thought that KW made some very good moves during the winter.I don't know if the White Sox have a Jonah or its just plain bad luck but few things seem to work out for Kenny.I can see it now..Colon will go in the tank and be auwful this year,only to be signed by the yankees next year and win 22 games with an era under 3.

oldcomiskey
05-05-2003, 09:25 AM
what? you dont think colon senses hes on a quitter? The Sox are a good collection of players but not a team...no wonder burlymon wants out--I dont blame him--I mean look at David Wells for the best example of this

gosox41
05-05-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
what? you dont think colon senses hes on a quitter? The Sox are a good collection of players but not a team...no wonder burlymon wants out--I dont blame him--I mean look at David Wells for the best example of this

KW can be blamed for the Wells trade. The one caveat was that Wells would only go as far as his back would hold up. The Sox traded for a 38 year old pitcher who was overweight and had a history of back problems. It was worth a shot, but to say there was no risk involved is ridiculous.

Of course, KW should have weighed in all the factors when he made that (or any other) trade. Maybe he knew Sirotka was hurting and it was a good move. More then likely KW outwitted himself and traded a 16 game winner with a modest salary for a 20 game winner and a much higher salary and back problems.

Based on KW's moves, I don't think he has the mental capacity to make decent moves and think through the pros and cons of a deal. It's all about being aggressive and showing the fans something. It's not about being intelligent and exploring all other options.

Bob

Procol Harum
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ssang
[Babout what Ken Williams recently re-iterated? I'm talking about the fact that Ken Williams said he will NOT fire Jerry Manuel this season or next. He made this comment last year and has re-iterated the statement. [/B]

Ssang, this is exactly why Kenny Williams is Jerry Reinsdorf's GM--the dig-in-your-heels, don't-give-into-the-critics, circle-the-wagons, never-admit-you're-wrong attitude is standard operating procedure within the White Sox organization and has been since the Reinsdorf-Einhorn cartel bought the team. The only way Manuel is going to be fired is if the team just utterly, completely tanks it over the next few weeks--like losing 20 out of the next 25. If they continue to hover around .500 in this pathetic division then Williams and Reinsdorf and company will feel safe to bask in their "we'll show them" fantasy land.

ssang
05-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Ssang, this is exactly why Kenny Williams is Jerry Reinsdorf's GM--the dig-in-your-heels, don't-give-into-the-critics, circle-the-wagons, never-admit-you're-wrong attitude is standard operating procedure within the White Sox organization and has been since the Reinsdorf-Einhorn cartel bought the team.

I agree with you and I think it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I guess if this is the case (because JR is overwhelmingly wrong on his baseball decisions) than we are doomed until a new owner comes along. Our cheering for the White Sox is futile until we have new ownership. Where are you Mark Cuban???

GASHWOUND
05-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

Losers breed losers...That no-hope feeling is all over the Sox actions on the fields and it looks like its swallowed Colon..If Colon were on the Yanks he'd probably be 5-0 with an ERA under 3 right now..winning rubs off on, and sadly so does losing