PDA

View Full Version : "The Christ Child"

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Yesterday, 4-year-old Darren Baker was the guest conductor for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." To Cub fans, Dusty Baker's son has become "The Christ Child." Because they believe Dusty will lead their team to greatness, little Darren has become their religious icon in a sort of way. Now I will seriously compliment Darren because he seems to be a well-mannered and respectful young man. Spewing anti-Cub venom is welcome here, if not required. But we should not target Darren. Calling him "The Christ Child" to satarize the flighty minds of Cub fans is one thing, but let's leave the kid himself alone. He may not have the best batboy skills, but he was one of the few guest contuctors who did not make a disrespectful mockery of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 09:14 AM
actually, i'll be the first to spew Venom here. He is letting himself become a SYMBOL for the cubs. What do we do when we see symbols? we ridicule and target them. If he didnt want that, he wouldnt have gone into the booth right? The little punk did make a mockery of it

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
actually, i'll be the first to spew Venom here. He is letting himself become a SYMBOL for the cubs. What do we do when we see symbols? we ridicule and target them. If he didnt want that, he wouldnt have gone into the booth right? The little punk did make a mockery of it

I don't think Darren himself is orchestrating a campaign to become a symbol of the Cubs. The adults around him are doing it instead. Darren did not wake up one morning and say "I want to be a guest conductor..." The adults want Darren to be a symbol of what they believe is "Cute, Cuddley, Cubdom."

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2003, 12:43 PM
If you put yourself in the media hoping to gain the benefits of that exposure you must also be prepared to receive the detriments of exposure. Dusty has a problem with negative press about his son yet Dusty encourages the kid to play cute to anyone who will watch him.

How old is gramps Baker anyway? If you are too old to take care of a kid without 25 other babysiters you are too old to have the kid.

Keep him with mommy out of the spotlight until he has some talent that would warrant attention. If not, expect some bad attention to be given when he joins the long list of child stars in a few years. Remember the Beaver and Mc Cauley Caulkin were cute pre pubescents as well.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If you put yourself in the media hoping to gain the benefits of that exposure you must also be prepared to receive the detriments of exposure. Dusty has a problem with negative press about his son yet Dusty encourages the kid to play cute to anyone who will watch him.

How old is gramps Baker anyway? If you are too old to take care of a kid without 25 other babysiters you are too old to have the kid.

Keep him with mommy out of the spotlight until he has some talent that would warrant attention. If not, expect some bad attention to be given when he joins the long list of child stars in a few years. Remember the Beaver and Mc Cauley Caulkin were cute pre pubescents as well.

Excellent Excellent Point. I remember him getting MAD about the attention the little twerp was getting, yet who is allowing him to Be Paraded around like a Piece of Culturally Significant Piece Of Meat? None other than Dusty Himself. I think we'll find out in the coming years how much Dusty really isnt the "laid back, disliker of attention, scorner of publicity-seekers", and instead we'll see him to be the Self Promoting, Patting Himself on the back, Media Whore that He Really is. Isnt this the supposed Reason that Magowan Ran Him out of SF in the 1st Place? Hes turning out to be Fatter, Minority Version of Mark Grace. The best thing about all of this is, when the cubs start to slide back towards last place in the coming years, Dusty will have the Media so wrapped around his Little Kid singing anthems, and Toothpick endorsments and quick Quips about the fans and telling Jokes, the team will be Stuck with him and we'll laugh about it. hahaha

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Excellent Excellent Point. I remember him getting MAD about the attention the little twerp was getting, yet who is allowing him to Be Paraded around like a Piece of Culturally Significant Piece Of Meat? None other than Dusty Himself. I think we'll find out in the coming years how much Dusty really isnt the "laid back, disliker of attention, scorner of publicity-seekers", and instead we'll see him to be the Self Promoting, Patting Himself on the back, Media Whore that He Really is. Isnt this the supposed Reason that Magowan Ran Him out of SF in the 1st Place? Hes turning out to be Fatter, Minority Version of Mark Grace. The best thing about all of this is, when the cubs start to slide back towards last place in the coming years, Dusty will have the Media so wrapped around his Little Kid singing anthems, and Toothpick endorsments and quick Quips about the fans and telling Jokes, the team will be Stuck with him and we'll laugh about it. hahaha

Darrin Baker - the new Harry Carry.

My roommate (a flubbie fan) has just informed me that the flubbies are producing a beanie baby in Darrin's likeness. That makes exactly TWO real people who have ever had their likeness recreated in beans and cloth - the other one is Princess Diana...

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

My roommate (a flubbie fan) has just informed me that the flubbies are producing a beanie baby in Darrin's likeness.

Sadly, I was going to make this my next joke, but looks like the Cubs arent TOO PROUD to go Hat In Hand, Looking for that Next MLB/Media Handout. Pathetic

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Sadly, I was going to make this my next joke, but looks like the Cubs arent TOO PROUD to go Hat In Hand, Looking for that Next MLB/Media Handout. Pathetic

Oh don't worry there are still lots of jokes to be had...

Can't have Darrin Baker Sportsbar, but how about Darrin Baker's Playhouse for Kids! Chuckie Cheese is doomed...

:rugrats
"DOOOOMED, Chuckie DOOOOOMMMMMED!"

DrCrawdad
05-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I remember hearing Dan Bernstein say this when the Cubs hired Baker, "The Cubs know how to sell cute." Bernstein then said that the Cubs were probably planning out the Darren "Take Me Out".

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I remember hearing Dan Bernstein say this when the Cubs hired Baker, "The Cubs know how to sell cute." Bernstein then said that the Cubs were probably planning out the Darren "Take Me Out".

From a marketing standpoint, they got lucky as heck with the game. A solo shot in the bottom of the 7th to tie it and another one in the 10th to win. Darrin just may have a full time gig before long...

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

If Bernstein actually said that, He is Right On with that one

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Darrin Baker - the new Harry Carry.

My roommate (a flubbie fan) has just informed me that the flubbies are producing a beanie baby in Darrin's likeness. That makes exactly TWO real people who have ever had their likeness recreated in beans and cloth - the other one is Princess Diana...

Beanie Baby promotions? On the south side we have nights sponsored by Jose Cuervo. YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :D: :gulp:

MarqSox
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM

Have we forgotten that this is a 6-year-old kid? I mean, hello? Talk smack about his dad and the organization, but the kid's just along for the ride.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Have we forgotten that this is a 6-year-old kid? I mean, hello? Talk smack about his dad and the organization, but the kid's just along for the ride.

Just because hes 6 yrs old, doesnt give him a free pass. A cultural lcon, whether hes 6, 36, or 96 doesnt matter. He is still an Icon, worthy of all the Praise and Ridicule, Glory and Shame that shall come to him. If he didnt want this, why is he being put in this position? Wasnt it Leonardo DiCaprios character that once said "I am young King......But I am still King"

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2003, 04:11 PM
The kid and parents were shown the dangers of their actions after he almost caused serious trouble during a World Series game. They are on notice but continue their actions. He gets what he deserves.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think they have a sports segment on the Cartoon Network. When the kid says he doesn't read what the media says about him I believe it.

It is difficult to hurt the feelings of a person who cannot read and doesn't watch the news or listen to sports radio. The only way he will know when people hate him is if he gets booed at Wrigley and you have to be preety bad for Wrigley to boo you.

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 04:17 PM

**Actually, little Darren is 4-years-old. And now that I think about this, I wonder if the Cubs organization will parade him around the ballpark as a "trophy" the same way Miami's Cuban Exile Community paraded Elián González around the streets of Little Havana when he was here.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
**Actually, little Darren is 4-years-old. And now that I think about this, I wonder if the Cubs organization will parade him around the ballpark as a "trophy" the same way Miami's Cuban Exile Community paraded Elián González around the streets of Little Havana when he was here.

Yes, Lets PUt this in the "TAKING ADVANTAGE OF A SITUATION/PERSON AND HOPING WE GET SOMETHING OUT OF IT IN THE MEDIA" File.

MarqSox
05-05-2003, 04:46 PM
If he didnt want this, why is he being put in this position?

You just proved my point. He is BEING PUT in this position. I'm not sure what world you live in, but at the age of 4, you don't make a whole lot of decisions for yourself. In fact, you don't even know what's going on half the time. That might not be an excuse for a grown Cubs fan, but it sure seems like a good excuse for a FREEGIN FOUR YEAR OLD!!!

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 04:57 PM
You just proved my point. He is BEING PUT in this position. I'm not sure what world you live in, but at the age of 4, you don't make a whole lot of decisions for yourself. In fact, you don't even know what's going on half the time. That might not be an excuse for a grown Cubs fan, but it sure seems like a good excuse for a FREEGIN FOUR YEAR OLD!!!

believe me, I feel bad for the Kid too. Its just one of those Tough Breaks man. I know he didnt ASK to be born a cub fan/cub representative/cub icon.......but hey, The Situation IS what it IS. Ultimately, when the kid is scarred, the blame ultimately falls to the bad parenting by DBaker. He didnt HAVE to take this job, and im sure our Creator upstairs didnt tell him to come here, like he claims. Think the dollar signs and lack of any other offer brought him here.

steff
05-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Completely disgusted at the crap being lashed this childs way. Lash out on his dear old daddy. He's 4 years old. Good grief people.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Completely disgusted at the crap being lashed this childs way. Lash out on his dear old daddy. He's 4 years old. Good grief people. Absolutely correct Steff. The number one goal for kids that age is to please parents. He has not "agreed" to anything. There is a reason that children cannot enter contracts, cannot be held accountable criminally for their actions, cannot consent to certain (ahem) behaviors. It's because we recognize that they lack an understanding of the consequences.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Absolutely correct Steff. The number one goal for kids that age is to please parents. He has not "agreed" to anything. There is a reason that children cannot enter contracts, cannot be held accountable criminally for their actions, cannot consent to certain (ahem) behaviors. It's because we recognize that they lack an understanding of the consequences.

YES, and Shame on Baker and his poor parental Judgement, and Shame on the Tribune for putting this kid to "work" for their evil Regime. This poor kid had no chance once he came here.
Arent their any Child Labor Laws being broken here?? 5 yr old kids shouldnt be Representing Giant Behemoth-Like Corporations. Children shouldnt be Used by a Biased Media, Thirsty for their new story, only to throw the kid away like yesterdays news (which he will be) Shame, Shame On Them.......

Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 05:17 PM
This kid is awfully perspicacious, tells his dad to play Choi, and use Borowski all the time!

Freakin Alan Benes.

MarqSox
05-05-2003, 05:26 PM
YES, and Shame on Baker and his poor parental Judgement, and Shame on the Tribune for putting this kid to "work" for their evil Regime. This poor kid had no chance once he came here.
Arent their any Child Labor Laws being broken here?? 5 yr old kids shouldnt be Representing Giant Behemoth-Like Corporations. Children shouldnt be Used by a Biased Media, Thirsty for their new story, only to throw the kid away like yesterdays news (which he will be) Shame, Shame On Them.......

You've really missed the point.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
This kid is awfully perspicacious, tells his dad to play Choi, and use Borowski all the time!

Freakin Alan Benes.

I hope Soon, VERY SOON, one of little Darren Bakers "Hunches" blows up in his face, like batting choi in the 9th, or calling a suicide squeeze that loses them the Game. Lets see the wrigley "faithful" turn on him then! Want to see how Murph over at the Score Lites him Up for a bad Managerial Decision!!!!

Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 05:31 PM
It was a joke! What's wrong with you man? You have some serious issues. Turn off the Score, for a second, and walk outside or something.

Jjav829
05-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Right on. Hes 4 years old! Hes still learning what the hell "baseball" is and yet some of you people make it sound like hes sitting at home at night trying to figure out where he can make his next buck using his image on Flubs fans! Darren has no clue what the hell is going on. He probably won't remember half the stuff hes doing right now in 5 years. Give it up.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:39 PM
It was a joke! What's wrong with you man? You have some serious issues. Turn off the Score, for a second, and walk outside or something.

I knew it was a joke, but believe me, Baker will not let on that one of his kids "hunches" led them to lose the game, are you kidding? all in good fun, at his expense unfortuneately. What we need to remember is that while our team needs some management shaking up in the dugout/front office, our Media, who can Expedite the situation, are too busy with little Darrens exploits, Hence, the poking fun at him.

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The kid and parents were shown the dangers of their actions after he almost caused serious trouble during a World Series game. They are on notice but continue their actions. He gets what he deserves.

I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think they have a sports segment on the Cartoon Network. When the kid says he doesn't read what the media says about him I believe it.

It is difficult to hurt the feelings of a person who cannot read and doesn't watch the news or listen to sports radio. The only way he will know when people hate him is if he gets booed at Wrigley and you have to be preety bad for Wrigley to boo you.

Somehow I doubt that will happen for a long long time. Besides, how can he get in much trouble in the announcer's booth. He'll be the third "man" (provided you actually think Chip IS a man) in the booth. Bread and CIRCUSES to appease the masses.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Personally, I take what Dusty Baker said back in October as true. Kids have no idea what theyre doing, right or wrong, and its unfair of us to ridicule them for that. He said it was his fault to have the kid in the media spotlite, because kids cant handle that, theyre too young for that. I believe him. Just dont believe hes allowing it to happen again..... I think Dusty really is a Media mongering, self-patterer on the back.

Vsahajpal
05-05-2003, 05:47 PM
I knew it was a joke, but believe me, Baker will not let on that one of his kids "hunches" led them to lose the game, are you kidding? all in good fun, at his expense unfortuneately. What we need to remember is that while our team needs some management shaking up in the dugout/front office, our Media, who can Expedite the situation, are too busy with little Darrens exploits, Hence, the poking fun at him.

Do you really think that's the case? I mean 5 years of intense pressure and media scrutiny (local and national) couldn't force Reinsdorf to fire Krause.

MarqSox
05-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Personally, I take what Dusty Baker said back in October as true. Kids have no idea what theyre doing, right or wrong, and its unfair of us to ridicule them for that. He said it was his fault to have the kid in the media spotlite, because kids cant handle that, theyre too young for that. I believe him. Just dont believe hes allowing it to happen again..... I think Dusty really is a Media mongering, self-patterer on the back.

OK, then you're confusing two separate issues. Leave the kid alone, pick on Dusty. You admit the kid has no idea what he's doing, yet you give him crap. Somebody help me understand what I'm missing here ...

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:51 PM
Do you really think that's the case? I mean 5 years of intense pressure and media scrutiny (local and national) couldn't force Reinsdorf to fire Krause.

It is Nowhere Near as INTENSE as it COULD/SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
Look how small a story this Baker thing really is, in the grand scheme of chicago sports. But somehow, the Media here thinks this is the grandest thing to ever happen here. The back page should be reserved for Real Sports News, not children of managers trying to squeeze some more Media Time in order to sway a city. its Repulsive

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:56 PM
hey, im not ripping Darren the Kid as Im ripping Darren the Cub Icon. yes, lets Distinguish between the two. theres a difference. HOWEVER, a kid his age shouldnt be in this position, whether by choice or by being placed there by people with their own Special Interests. Darren the Icon, as hes known represents the cubs. noway do i let my kid represent the cubs as an image. why? so people will come to know HIS FACE as that of the cubs, so that it can be the object of jokes?
We laugh at that silly building called Wrigley right? All it really is is bricks, some steel and a bunch of seats. It is the representation of the cubs, so we laugh at it, we mock it, we make it the brunt of our jokes. The building can take it. The kid cant. which is why its wrong for his old man to let him be paraded around like that. Shame on Him.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 05:57 PM
by the way, this is a pretty interesting discussion. good point/counterpoint. another reason I love coming here

steff
05-05-2003, 06:08 PM
OK, then you're confusing two separate issues. Leave the kid alone, pick on Dusty. You admit the kid has no idea what he's doing, yet you give him crap. Somebody help me understand what I'm missing here ...

Help me too because no matter what is being posted in rebuttal (attempts at making points are failing miserably) it's still negative towards the child. Which, IMO, there is NO excuse for. The kid is a kid. He's no "cub icon". Geez... like we don't have enough to whine about on our own side of town..

faneidde
05-05-2003, 06:20 PM
I must admit, seeing Darren sing the national anthem did bother me a bit, but I was much more annoyed seeing him in the Giants duggout during the World Series. Most little league managers have rules to keep little kids out of the duggout, but Dusty Faker didn't and his kid almost got run over because of it. I'm not ripping Darren, but I do dislike the kid.

steff
05-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
I must admit, seeing Darren sing the national anthem did bother me a bit, but I was much more annoyed seeing him in the Giants duggout during the World Series. Most little league managers have rules to keep little kids out of the duggout, but Dusty Faker didn't and his kid almost got run over because of it. I'm not ripping Darren, but I do dislike the kid.

How on earth do you dislike an innocent 4 year old child... :?:

Sometimes I just don't understand people.

pissonthecubs
05-05-2003, 06:31 PM
i have just logged on and read the entire thread of this discussion of Darrin Baker. This just being my point of view, but he is no freakin' icon of baseball, chicago, or the cubs. if the baker family or the cubs want to trot this kid out for the seventh inning strech or anything else that they do up on the north side of town, thats fine with me. it doesn't bother me, it doesn't affect me in one way or another. if it was something that was dealing with the white sox then i think it would be worth talking about and having 35 + post about a stupid 4 year old. but lets just drop this subject and keep giving our thoughts on what we could do with our team, THE WHITE SOX!

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Darin Baker is the anti-christ. The thought of hearing his voice makes me cringe and I have booby trapped my house to combat the day that his reign over Chicago is complete. I have trouble sleeping at night knowing that Darin Baker is watching me, waiting for me to leave my house. He is evil....EVIL!!!!

Seriously, he is just doing what he is told and it makes me hate the Dusty Baker and the Cubs even more. Hey, if I had a cute that cute though, I'd milk him for all he worth in cuteness. Unfortunately though, and entire organization is trying to use him. But don't hate the kid. Hate the organization. It's all about making money folks.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 06:57 PM
hey, i dont dislike the kid. hes cute and all. I dislike what he stands for. Abuse of Power by grown adults. I hate wrigley field, but that doesnt mean I hate buildings, or buildings shaped like ballfields. I dont hate the kid. I hate what the little twerp stands for. cubby propoganda run amok, taking away precious media attention where it should be focused, on the shoddy job White Sox Mgmt is doing. Whatsmore, Im angry that this cutekid facade being propogated by our Media is only making things worse for the Sox, by letting precious time slip awayyyyy. wait til next year.....

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Mercy! What a thread I started here. I generally agree with Steff that we should not rip Darren, as I said in this thread's inaugural post. I think he is being used as a marketing tool (made into "The Christ Child") by the Cubs organization because of his cuteness. And they want their fans to be mesmerized by him. I don't think having him sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is child abuse or anything like that. He is an innocent four-year-old who has no grasp of what is going on.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
He is an innocent four-year-old who has no grasp of what is going on.

Could the same be said of Cub Fans In General?

baggio202
05-06-2003, 07:28 PM
screw this little wannabe..while he is singing take me out to the ball game i just found my 5 year old in the living room rocking out with the stereo cranked up to 10 , a hairbrush as a mic and singing all the words to "rock the casbah"!! by the clash... :cool:

fuzzy_patters
05-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
screw this little wannabe..while he is singing take me out to the ball game i just found my 5 year old in the living room rocking out with the stereo cranked up to 10 , a hairbrush as a mic and singing all the words to "rock the casbah"!! by the clash... :cool:

You are raising your son correctly. Good job.

steff
05-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

"screw this little wanabe"... Like he's got a choice.

This thread seriously worries me.

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 09:25 AM
what bothers me more and more, is that the Media, instead of covering the potential Story of the Year in Chicago on the Southside, CLTV, ABC, ESPN and all their Satellite Trucks waiting for little Darrens Next Move.

Jerko
05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Why don't Dusty's GRANDKIDS get to sing if we want cute and cuddly? Oh wait, his grandkids are all 35 years old. Forget it.