PDA

View Full Version : Judging By This, The Firing Won't Happen Tomorrow...

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030504soxgamer,1,3398963.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines

Not looking good everyone. I think he's gonna be on the plane to Oakland....

GASHWOUND
05-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030504soxgamer,1,3398963.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines

Did anyone actually think he would be fired tomorrow?..KW has said this past week JM will not be fired..He responed to that Mike North report about the supposed meeting or whatver about JM's future and said he wouldn't be fired..the guy is very stubborn..JM is gonna have to resign his butt

Kilroy
05-05-2003, 08:27 AM
As much as we want to see Manuel get summer off, can we think of any team where the manager was launched early and the team turned it around and made the playoffs, etc, under the new manager after that? I can't, but feel free to correct me.

SpringfldFan
05-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
As much as we want to see Manuel get summer off, can we think of any team where the manager was launched early and the team turned it around and made the playoffs, etc, under the new manager after that? I can't, but feel free to correct me.

No can't say that I have but I can say I know one team fairly close that launched the manager over the winter and the team is playing with new found enthusiasm and sitting in a tie for first place after the first month.

LT

Viva Magglio
05-05-2003, 08:40 AM

Here are two examples: In 1988, the Red Sox dismissed John McNamara early and replaced him with Joe Morgan. The Red Sox went on to win the AL East before being swept by the A's in the ALCS. The following season, the Blue Jays got rid of Jimy Williams and brought in Cito Gaston who led them that season to the ALCS and eventually two world championships.

gosox41
05-05-2003, 09:05 AM

I thought I read somewhere that there were close to 10 times this has happened. I think it happened to the 1978 Yankees, but I may be wrong on that.

Bob

gosox41
05-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan

I'm trying to think like White Sox management here, so it's going to be illogical. My guess is Manuel will be gone after the current road trip based on the "Sox logic" that they want to bring in a new guy against easier teams to get hopefully get him some quick success and hot start.

My theory is to can Manuel now and maybe that'll fire up the team going into Oakland.

But obviously Sox management is so much smarter then me as evidenced by all the wonderful success they've had the last 2 seasons as the team has underacheived.

Bob

harwar
05-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I doesn't make sense to expect this organization to fire Manuel when he has 2 more years on his contract.Not unless Manuel is fired and Bruce Kimm becomes interim manager for a small bump in salary.Also,it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Reinsdorf did fire Manuel and replace him with Harold Baines.We all know how obsessed JR is with Harold.

Scotty347
05-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Harold Baines is the only person I can think of off the top of my head that has less emotion than Jerry Manuel. No thanks.

I would hope that they would have the sense to bring someone in with enthusiasm, but we can't worry too much about that unless Jerry really gets canned.

steff
05-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Guys.. he's not going anywhere. He will not be fired.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
......the Blue Jays got rid of Jimy Williams and brought in Cito Gaston who led them that season to the ALCS and eventually two world championships.

Whats Cito Gaston doing these days? besides Polishing his 2 WS rings?

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Seeing how the SOX have managed to do the WRONG THING everytime possible (i.e. Stadium Building, Treatment of future Hall-of-Famers, building winning teams, unwillingness to sign key players, ridiculing of fan base, Miscasting of People in KEY managerial positions, breaking all Known rules of Urban Planning)
Its easy to see Manuel here the Rest of the Year. Or long enough so that Valentine or Leyland get hired by other teams first

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Is Bobby Valentine a popular choice because he's on BBTN? I don't see any other reason why he would be. He's never even managed a division winning team.

Jjav829
05-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Is Bobby Valentine a popular choice because he's on BBTN? I don't see any other reason why he would be. He's never even managed a division winning team.

I'm not sure why. I think it's because hes a known name. But at least hes made it to a World Series.

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 02:41 PM
He brought a team to the freakin' World Series and went to the playoffs multiple years in a row.....that deserves recognition. Not just BBTN. We aren't stupid.

Foulke You
05-05-2003, 02:42 PM

Well, he did lead the Mets to the LCS in '99 and the World Series in 2000. Something a Sox manager hasn't accomplished since Al Lopez in '59. Plus, he does have experience managing a team that is treated second class in a two team town. I wouldn't be against bringing him in. However, methinks his pricetag would be too high for JR.

Hangar18
05-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Seeing how the SOX have managed to do the WRONG THING everytime possible (i.e. Stadium Building, Treatment of future Hall-of-Famers, building winning teams, unwillingness to sign key players, ridiculing of fan base, Miscasting of People in KEY managerial positions, breaking all Known rules of Urban Planning)
Its easy to see Manuel here the Rest of the Year. Or long enough so that Valentine or Leyland get hired by other teams first
CONVERSELY, the team up North, got Very Lucky in regards to all of the preceding decisions, as follows:
*Stadium Building. Current Mgmt bought it "as is", so therefore, can take no credit for their being the Lucky Owners when the Media Mandated that Wrigley was now cool, thus beginning the cub media propoganda campaign
* They treat theyre future hall-of-famers well, in that they have nowhere else to go, seeing that they dont hold other jobs in baseball very well.
*building winning teams. this is perplexing, as the "fan" base doesnt care much for this aspect of organization building, as evidenced by the nearly 100 years of mediocrity
*Unwillingness to sign key players. most players shunned signing with them, but they were lucky to have been "handed" players that play key roles for them. the list if far too long to list,
but Prior (lack of commissioner) Sosa (unable to hit AL pitching)
Clement (team wanting to unload salary) etc etc
*ridiculing of fan base. Current n side mgmt doesnt have to SAY anything, merely fielding a team helps.
*Miscasting of People in key mgrial positions- cubs have done this for Decades, but curiously, has had little effect with the "fan" base, as the stadium is filled daily with 38,000 sheep who "flock" to the "hallowed" grounds despite poor teams
*Breaking of Known Rules of Urban Planning- Cubs are Unable to break any rules, because the sacred grounds are LandLocked. there is no room for expansion. they were lucky to have been already near bars/restaurants, and other types of activities that PROMOTE foot traffic, among other things. walking 50 feet in any direction at Wrigley, are bars restaurants. walking 50 feet at Comiskey north is a Parking Lot. 50 feet east is....Players Parking Lot. 50 feet south is.....Parking Lot 50 feet West is....Parking Lot.

soxnut
05-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
CONVERSELY, the team up North, got Very Lucky in regards to all of the preceding decisions, as follows:
*Stadium Building. Current Mgmt bought it "as is", so therefore, can take no credit for their being the Lucky Owners when the Media Mandated that Wrigley was now cool, thus beginning the cub media propoganda campaign
* They treat theyre future hall-of-famers well, in that they have nowhere else to go, seeing that they dont hold other jobs in baseball very well.
*building winning teams. this is perplexing, as the "fan" base doesnt care much for this aspect of organization building, as evidenced by the nearly 100 years of mediocrity
*Unwillingness to sign key players. most players shunned signing with them, but they were lucky to have been "handed" players that play key roles for them. the list if far too long to list,
but Prior (lack of commissioner) Sosa (unable to hit AL pitching)
Clement (team wanting to unload salary) etc etc
*ridiculing of fan base. Current n side mgmt doesnt have to SAY anything, merely fielding a team helps.
*Miscasting of People in key mgrial positions- cubs have done this for Decades, but curiously, has had little effect with the "fan" base, as the stadium is filled daily with 38,000 sheep who "flock" to the "hallowed" grounds despite poor teams
*Breaking of Known Rules of Urban Planning- Cubs are Unable to break any rules, because the sacred grounds are LandLocked. there is no room for expansion. they were lucky to have been already near bars/restaurants, and other types of activities that PROMOTE foot traffic, among other things. walking 50 feet in any direction at Wrigley, are bars restaurants. walking 50 feet at Comiskey north is a Parking Lot. 50 feet east is....Players Parking Lot. 50 feet south is.....Parking Lot 50 feet West is....Parking Lot.

well with all the so called screw-ups the Sox have done, they are still here and so am I and so are alot of you. And really all it takes is consistent winning or competitveness, to have more fans come out and media attention. Who knows when that will happen though :(:

GASHWOUND
05-05-2003, 06:29 PM

I don't want Valentine..that dude is a freakin blowhard..we definitely don't need that jackoff on this club. And I know for sure he would not make any significant difference in the standings for the Sox.. Bobby Valentine...NOOO!

TornLabrum
05-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Guys.. he's not going anywhere. He will not be fired.

C'mon, Steff, finish the thought. It's because Jerry ain't gonna pay two managers at the same time.

trimbo
05-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Well, he did lead the Mets to the LCS in '99 and the World Series in 2000. Something a Sox manager hasn't accomplished since Al Lopez in '59. Plus, he does have experience managing a team that is treated second class in a two team town. I wouldn't be against bringing him in. However, methinks his pricetag would be too high for JR.

I don't know about you, but I would rather not have a manager who had an expensive team like he did those years, yet seemed totally content with playing for the wildcard instead of winning the division. This is especially meaningful considering that the AL WC in the last 2 years had won 99 (Angels) and 102 (A's) games.