PDA

View Full Version : A friendly reminder

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 12:33 AM
As gloom as everything seems I think you all have forgotten that the Twins are just a half game ahead of us. The division is just as winnable now as it was at the beginning of the year. This team will start hitting. Hopefully we'll also make a trade or two to improve the club Billy Beane style.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2003, 02:32 AM
With the WGN game yesterday and the ESPN game tonight, this is the first time all year that I got to watch two games in a row. I must say that I thought the Sox were very well balanced. They didn't hit, didn't pitch, and didn't play good defense.

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I assume that you are sober as you write this?

Oh yeah it definitely takes a drunk man to point out the Twins have sucked too.

DrCrawdad
05-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
...They didn't hit, didn't pitch, and didn't play good defense.

Yeah, and other than that they looked good.

gosox41
05-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
As gloom as everything seems I think you all have forgotten that the Twins are just a half game ahead of us. The division is just as winnable now as it was at the beginning of the year. This team will start hitting. Hopefully we'll also make a trade or two to improve the club Billy Beane style.

KW lacks the ability to make a good inseason trade. He's great at dumping payroll and getting nothing in return at the trade deadline. But if you think he's going to find a creative way to improve this ballclub midseason, I'd like whatever you're smoking.

What will probably happen is he'll keep the same bunch of underacheivers around waiting for the team to turn it around. Come July 31 when there's about 10K people in the ball park for a Sat. night game, he'll be forced to cut payroll and trade All Stars for 24 year old, injured, AAA pitchers with 6.00 ERA.

Bob

gosox41
05-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I meant the part about the hitting improving and making a trade or two to improve the team. Ain't gonna happen. At least it sure
looks like it won't happen the way they are going now. I say the
Twins will get hot before the Sox do.

Seeing as how the Twins have an easier schedule then the Sox the rest of the way, I'd say it's time to bend over and bite the pillow...unless of course the Sox hire the right manager.

Bob

Scotty347
05-05-2003, 09:22 AM
It's only going to get worse if the manager and coaching staff doesn't get the axe immediately.

BTW, nice move sending Jiminez on Ichiro in the 1st. Good rally killer.

MarqSox
05-05-2003, 10:25 AM
There's no reason to think this team can't wipe the slate clean ... we're a game under .500, which is pathetic, however, there is no way KC and the Cubs will keep up their roll.

What's my point? Don't put too much stock into April. Bad teams can play like champions, good teams can play like losers. As long as you don't shoot yourself in the foot in April -- one game under is not THAT bad -- you're still doing OK. Remember too, the A's last year were something like 7 or 8 games under at this point, and they ended up winning the toughest division in the league.

Things look bad, but looks can be deceiving.

valposoxfan
05-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Have you watched this team for the past two seasons???? Being positive is very difficult. It's not gonna happen under Manuel. It will only happen under new leadership. I'll be positive, but not with JM at the reins.

Procol Harum
05-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
As gloom as everything seems I think you all have forgotten that the Twins are just a half game ahead of us.

Kerm, by the end of this week it will be at least 2-1/2--and that only if the Twins have a mediocre week.

Blueprint1
05-05-2003, 11:15 AM
When we lose the next six games it will be a huge lead

kermittheefrog
05-05-2003, 12:00 PM
I meant the part about the hitting improving and making a trade or two to improve the team. Ain't gonna happen. At least it sure
looks like it won't happen the way they are going now. I say the
Twins will get hot before the Sox do.

Well the hitting in the last three years has been close to the top of the league. Right now it's close to the bottom. The personel isn't drastically different. The hitting will improve. Now the inseason trade is optimistic but hey, who thought we'd get Bartolo for nothing?

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Best case scenario, they keep their heads above water in the next six by going 3 and 3. After that we have about 3 weeks of winnable games. Maybe we can go on a little bit of a roll, make up some games on KC and contend to start June (which will be an absolute disaster month if we have not picked it up by then).