PDA

View Full Version : any optimistic scenarios?

MRKARNO
05-04-2003, 11:28 PM
can anyone think of any optimistic, yet realistic scenarios that end with the sox winning the world series and/or winning 95+?
I really hope that the sox' performance is tied to the weather and once the weather heats up, the sox will as well

baggio202
05-04-2003, 11:36 PM
silence is kinda deafening huh???

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
can anyone think of any optimistic, yet realistic scenarios that end with the sox winning the world series and/or winning 95+?
I really hope that the sox' performance is tied to the weather and once the weather heats up, the sox will as well

i still think its possible for us to turn it around. the angels had a much worse first month last year and everything turned out alright for them. however, while this is possible, it certainly doesn't feel at all likely at this point.

we need the bats to turn around in a major way and soon.

MRKARNO
05-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i still think its possible for us to turn it around. the angels had a much worse first month last year and everything turned out alright for them. however, while this is possible, it certainly doesn't feel at all likely at this point.

we need the bats to turn around in a major way and soon.

I do remember the Angels being very bad to start the season and I had the opportunity to go to one of their games in Anaheim in April and they lost to Texas 3-2. I was looking at their roster and thinking "Man, they've got to be doing better than that with this roster" and look what happened to them. I can only hope for the same for the Sox

bc2k
05-04-2003, 11:44 PM

Well we do have a team of winners who play gritty and do all the little things for a win. And our defense is tops in the league. We play great fundamental baseball. Situational hitting is a huge benefit for us. Our manager fights for his players who fight for him in return. Paul Konerko is on pace to be a 40/40 guy. Frank Thomas is in the best shape of his career. Above all, these guys are just a joy to watch!

MRKARNO
05-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Well we do have a team of winners who play gritty and do all the little things for a win. And our defense is tops in the league. Paul Konerko is on pace to be a 40/40 guy. Frank Thomas is in the best shape of his career. Above all, these guys are just a joy to watch!

The idea to this thread was not to flat out lie

Procol Harum
05-04-2003, 11:51 PM

Yeah, just a minute--"Hey, honey, would you pass me my crack pipe?"

bc2k
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
The idea to this thread was not to flat out lie

This from a true optimist with Fire Jerry Manuel and Gary Ward tags in his signature.

WinningUgly!
05-05-2003, 12:19 AM

As unlikely as it seems right now...it is still possible. Anaheim was sitting in exactly the same situation the Sox are right now...sporting a 15-16 after their 1st 31 games. If the Sox could play with half of the heart Anaheim did last season I'd feel a lot better about their chances at turning things around. Having Mike Scioscia, Troy Percival & that Rally Monkey wouldn't hurt either! :D:

Procol Harum
05-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
As unlikely as it seems right now...it is still possible. Anaheim was sitting in exactly the same situation the Sox are right now...sporting a 15-16 after their 1st 31 games. If the Sox could play with half of the heart Anaheim did last season I'd feel a lot better about their chances at turning things around. Having Mike Scioscia, Troy Percival & that Rally Monkey wouldn't hurt either! :D:

Therein, WU, is the rub. Corpses don't have hearts, and it's beginning to look like we may well have been overrating this bunch. Perhaps 2000 was the real fluke.

jeremyb1
05-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Therein, WU, is the rub. Corpses don't have hearts, and it's beginning to look like we may well have been overrating this bunch. Perhaps 2000 was the real fluke.

you're never going to convince me that frank, carlos, and paully are .250 hitters. if we were losing some other way you might convince me that we're not any good and that '00 was entirely a fluke but its the offense that's killing us and nothing can convince me that we don't have a good offense.

Procol Harum
05-05-2003, 12:34 AM
you're never going to convince me that frank, carlos, and paully are .250 hitters. if we were losing some other way you might convince me that we're not any good and that '00 was entirely a fluke but its the offense that's killing us and nothing can convince me that we don't have a good offense.

I hate to say it, but they're the one's doin' the convincin' right now, not me. And our offense has sputtered in a feast-or-famine mode since August 2000. I wish it were not so.

MHOUSE
05-05-2003, 12:42 AM
Last year we either won 10-3 or lost 5-4. It really is all or nothing with these guys and it shouldn't be. It seems like if they go 1-2-3 in the first then they go down in flames. If we get one early, then they put up 6 or 7. I don't understand. We're still not winning close games and certainly not blowing people away. At least last year we had signs of life, but so far hardly none.

voodoochile
05-05-2003, 01:34 AM

Daver takes his elephant gun over to JR's house and holds him hostage until he shells out enough money to buy a championship...

Daver
05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Daver takes his elephant gun over to JR's house and holds him hostage until he shells out enough money to buy a championship...

I don't know that the elephant gun would be enough.

This might.

pudge
05-05-2003, 02:49 AM

jeremy, where have you been? frank thomas HAS been a .250 hitter since 1998. Carlos Lee hasn't passed .270 the past three years. I don't want to believe Konerko is a .250 hitter, but is it beyond possibility that he will have a down year?

I guess I'm extra frustrated because I live in Seattle and have watched the Mariners manufacture runs and deliver clutch hitting for the past four years. They are such a superior team to our Sox, it's not even funny. Hence the 2000 play-off sweep, hence the embarassing sweep this weekend. All the Sox do is ground into double plays.

Until this group starts to play like 2000 again, I think I am convinced it was a fluke.

MRKARNO
05-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
This from a true optimist with Fire Jerry Manuel and Gary Ward tags in his signature.

Their firing would be a positive, therefore I'm being optimistic

gosox41
05-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Last year we either won 10-3 or lost 5-4. It really is all or nothing with these guys and it shouldn't be. It seems like if they go 1-2-3 in the first then they go down in flames. If we get one early, then they put up 6 or 7. I don't understand. We're still not winning close games and certainly not blowing people away. At least last year we had signs of life, but so far hardly none.

A perfect example of lack of heart and intensity. When things are going well, life is good. As soon as the team faces some adversity (a couple of errors, falling behind by a run or two early) you might as well fold it up and go home because the game is as good as over.

Bob

alohafri
05-05-2003, 09:27 AM
I do remember the Angels being very bad to start the season

The Angels had a bad start to the season, until the Sox came to town. They went nuts on us for three games. The only thing that can turn this season around is if the Sox get to play against themselves.

Hullett_Fan
05-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
The only thing that can turn this season around is if the Sox get to play against themselves.

LMAO!!! :D:

And, yes Dahl is a radio God!

jortafan
05-05-2003, 11:34 AM
The only scenario that results in a White Sox world series victory is if there are 29 plane crashes this season, taking out every other major league baseball team except the Sox.

Ah, who am I kidding. The way the White Sox are playing, even a mass rush of Triple-A callups from Columbus, Ohio would probably beat us out.

maurice
05-05-2003, 01:54 PM

No. OTOH, they still have a very good shot at winning the worst division in baseball.

If the pitching holds up (possible) and the bats heat up (probable), the Sox could win around 90 games. I'm still not convinced that KC or the Twinkies will pull that off.

I'm afraid that's going to have to pass for optimism, unless the Sox . . .

:firejerry

FarmerAndy
05-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by pudge
jeremy, where have you been? frank thomas HAS been a .250 hitter since 1998.

A .250 hitter since '98???????

1999 .305 Avg.
2000 .328 Avg.

I know what you are trying to say, Frank has been down for awhile now. But to say that he's been a .250 hitter since '98 is simply wrong. Since 2001 would be a more accurate statement.

pudge
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
A .250 hitter since '98???????

1999 .305 Avg.
2000 .328 Avg.

I know what you are trying to say, Frank has been down for awhile now. But to say that he's been a .250 hitter since '98 is simply wrong. Since 2001 would be a more accurate statement.

Yeah but didn't he have some really low avg. years in there? Maybe he's been more of a .270 hitter, but that's not much better than .250.