PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't get any better next year

Bucktown
08-18-2001, 09:41 PM
I have never given up on this team, although today tests my loyalty. I guess I am holding on to 2001 because I am not optimistic that next year will be any better.

Why do we think the 2002 Sox will return to the form of 2000?

I know, everyone thinks losing Frank was a big blow, but the guy was batting .220 when he went down. One could argue that was the best thing to happen to this team. Frank is a hall of famer, but maybe Frank's 60 ABa was an indication that he has returned to 1998 form. There are no gurantees that a 34 year old Frank will bounce back from a serious injury and play MVP baseball.

Buehrle is the one thing to be optimistic about, but he can't carry this entire team. Unless Wells and Garland play at the top of their game all year long (the way Baldwin and Eldred did most of 2000) then we will probably finish 2nd again, 3 games above .500.

I will continue to live for them moment and pray for a miracle.

Daver
08-18-2001, 09:50 PM
If there is baseball in 2002,then i think the return of Frank,along with the return of most of our bullpen,and a healthy Jose Valentin,make me pretty optimistic for the season.The fact that the Sox are at .500 right now kind of surprises me,and the credit goes to Jerry manuel and Kenny Williams.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2001, 03:15 AM
I love Sox fans, I really do. If you guys were Cub fans talking about the same situation, it would be "we'll have Frank back, and Parque. The Indians are getting old, and the Twins have proved they're a fluke. We've got it wrapped up next year!!!!!"

But of course, we're Sox fans, so the dark clouds roll in, and we are already figuring the reasons why we can't possibly win it next year.

Cub fans take years of failure as a reason why fate is about to smile upon them. Sox fans see it as a reason to expect only more of the same.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-19-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Cub fans take years of failure as a reason why fate is about to smile upon them. Sox fans see it as a reason to expect only more of the same.

Well stated, Nellie. That's the essential difference between us and them. Of course a good portion of Cubs fans actually ENJOY the losing, thinking that it makes them somehow superior to any other team's fans.

They, of course, are idiots.

FarWestChicago
08-19-2001, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Well stated, Nellie. That's the essential difference between us and them. Of course a good portion of Cubs fans actually ENJOY the losing, thinking that it makes them somehow superior to any other team's fans.

They, of course, are idiots.

I really don't like fairweather fans. In fact, I don't think they are fans at all. However, the Flubbie celebration of losing carries things much too far the other way. It's absolutley ridiculous.

Paulwny
08-19-2001, 12:46 PM
Being a sox fan=being paranoid

Jjav829
08-19-2001, 01:48 PM
I know, everyone thinks losing Frank was a big blow, but the guy was batting .220 when he went down.

Yes he was struggling at the time. But even Frank slumping would have been better than Harold for that first month. Also just because a guy starts slow doesn't mean he will stay that bad for the season. Mike Sweeney started off the season batting about .089. He looked awful for the first few weeks. All of a sudden he started tearing the cover off the ball and he is now batting .311. Of course the opposite could happen. Doug Mientkiewicz, for the first month of the season, batted above .400. He then slipped into the .100's for the month of June.

Bottom line is no matter how much he was struggling his loss still hurt us. Im not going to say thats the reason we have done so bad, but it certainly didn't help.

Bucktown
08-19-2001, 01:52 PM
You guys are talking about me. I have been the most consistently supportive and optimistic person on this board.

Have you read my signature?

There are no magic answers next year. This team has the personnel to win TODAY. My point is this, don't write off this season thinking next year we will runaway with it. We are not clearly superior to the competition. To win (next year or this year) we need to be mentally tough and run a streak of wins against good and bad teams . That won't be any easier to do next year, so let live in the present.

SHEESH.

FarWestChicago
08-19-2001, 01:59 PM
You guys are talking about me. I have been the most consistently supportive and optimistic person on this board.

I got the impression people admired your reasoned take on next year as opposed to the typical Flubbie "We're gonna rule next year!" sentiment. I'm not sure what you are upset about.

Bucktown
08-19-2001, 02:01 PM
I personalized the "fair weather fan" comment. My mistake.

Sox Rule, wait 'til next year!

FarWestChicago
08-19-2001, 02:09 PM
I personalized the "fair weather fan" comment. My mistake.

I wasn't talking about you at all. That was in the context of "celebrating losing". I was just saying I don't like either extreme. You obviously don't fall in either category. Sorry for the mistunderstanding.