PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Broadcasters

gosox3072
05-04-2003, 09:19 PM
What did u all think of the commentators for the ESPN game on Sunday??

Personally i see why they work for ESPN while Hawk and DJ work for the Chicago White Sox. They had WAY more commentary about the game and most of it was pritty good commentary. After every pitch they seemed to analize the situation and i though that was very good.

Huisj
05-04-2003, 09:28 PM
i love morgan and miller together, it's part of why i like sunday night baseball regardless of who's playing most of the time.

MRKARNO
05-04-2003, 09:32 PM
They had a great analysis of the wind situation earlier

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by gosox3072
What did u all think of the commentators for the ESPN game on Sunday??

Personally i see why they work for ESPN while Hawk and DJ work for the Chicago White Sox. They had WAY more commentary about the game and most of it was pritty good commentary. After every pitch they seemed to analize the situation and i though that was very good.

i don't always agree with joe morgan's baseball philosiphy but he sure knows a lot about hitting. he always seems to diagnose what's wrong with our hitters with relative ease.

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Yeah I thought they were great and WAY better than Hawk & DJ. Morgan said something that was very maddenesque, but I can't remember it. I thought it was funny though.

LetsGoSox_1
05-04-2003, 09:55 PM
I enjoyed Morgan and Miller a lot today, as I normally do. I just wish the game today was as enjoyable.

Konerkoholic
05-04-2003, 10:29 PM
I liked the microphone on Jose. Anyone else notice how he was the only one cheering for Crede's double to get up? No one else even moved.

konerkopeachy
05-04-2003, 10:38 PM
I noticed....but then again, Valentin's always an active guy in the dugout. Keeps everybody motivated. Well, at least he TRIES to.

They showed him talking to Mark Buehrle in the very beginning....anyone catch what they were talking about?

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 10:38 PM
It was refreshing to hear some honesty coming out of the booth at a Sox game for a change.

As far as Morgan I agree...he knows his hitting. You think he'll be interested in the Sox hitting coach job?

Lip

pissonthecubs
05-04-2003, 11:02 PM
I don't know how anyone can stand Joe Morgan. Yes he was a very good ballplayer, but have you ever heard him talk about someone else when not doing a game. He has no problem making you feel like you are about 6 inches tall. He'll tell you how good he was for all of his career, and then tell you how much better he is then you or anyone else who ever played second base. i guess i am in the minority about liking Joe Morgan after reading this post, but i would turn on Farmer and Rooney anytime ESPN TV has the game.

faneidde
05-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Morgan is as pompous as they come. If any player in today's game other than Barry Bonds does anything, he or one of his teammates did it better and twice. He knows his baseball, just ask him, he'll be the first to tell you that.

jeremyb1
05-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
I don't know how anyone can stand Joe Morgan. Yes he was a very good ballplayer, but have you ever heard him talk about someone else when not doing a game. He has no problem making you feel like you are about 6 inches tall. He'll tell you how good he was for all of his career, and then tell you how much better he is then you or anyone else who ever played second base. i guess i am in the minority about liking Joe Morgan after reading this post, but i would turn on Farmer and Rooney anytime ESPN TV has the game.

its not like rooney and farmer are a whole lot better. they're always completely pro selig because farmer used to play for selig in millwaukee. just the other day they completely railed on kevin brown just because he said he didn't like home field advantage being awarded based on the all-star game.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Anyone else notice how he was the only one cheering for Crede's double to get up? No one else even moved. I noticed. I was very troubled by it.

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Personally i see why they work for ESPN while Hawk and DJ work for the Chicago White Sox.

Couldn't agree with you more :D:

mrwag
05-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I noticed. I was very troubled by it.

I saw that too. I wonder if we should make him the coach?

harwar
05-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Millers' a great play-by-play guy and has the rare quality of being funny even when hes' trying to be.Morgan is a good color guy and knows baseball,just don't get him started on barry bonds.As for Jose being the only one to cheer,its nothing new.The White Sox are a totally dead team right now.They seem confused and to just not care.Maggs is dragging all the time now.When Carlos & Jose collided they just got up and ignored each other,unlike other similar instances where players will check each other out or at least say something.

Bobby Thigpen
05-05-2003, 08:59 AM
The thing that drives me nuts about Miller is how he tries to pronounce everyone's name as if it were a Spanish name. Did anyone else notice how he butchered Konerko's name? Sure, we get the point, you're very good at Spanish and can properly pronounce their names, but not everyone's name should be pronounced with a Spanish tilt.

Of course I guess it might be better than Hawk pronouncing it hi-MAN-ez.

Dan H
05-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Miller and Morgan area great. They do some cornball things, but I have always enjoyed their broadcasts. Did anyone notice that Miller kept calling the stadium Comiskey Park?

Foulke You
05-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
The thing that drives me nuts about Miller is how he tries to pronounce everyone's name as if it were a Spanish name. Did anyone else notice how he butchered Konerko's name? Sure, we get the point, you're very good at Spanish and can properly pronounce their names, but not everyone's name should be pronounced with a Spanish tilt.

Of course I guess it might be better than Hawk pronouncing it hi-MAN-ez.

Thiggy, you noticed the thing that drives me the most nuts about Miller. It isn't that he is trying to sound spanish, its that he constantly puts the emphasis on the wrong syllable. For example: "Paul KonERko hit a really good DRIVE to left FIELD that time at the PLATE." He drives me nuts. Plus, he is paired with the pompous and arrogant Joe Morgan. Sorry guys, I may be in the minority, but these broadcasters suck. Give me Rooney and Farmer any day of the week.

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
he is paired with the pompous and arrogant Joe Morgan. Sorry guys, I may be in the minority, but these broadcasters suck. Give me Rooney and Farmer any day of the week.

I agree with you on Morgan, but I really thing Miller is one of the best. Rooney & Farmer are the best in Chicago. Hawk? No thanks.

Ol Aches & Pains
05-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Personally i see why they work for ESPN while Hawk and DJ work for the Chicago White Sox.

Outside of Chicago, Harrelson is a laughingstock. In 1993 during the playoffs with the Blue Jays, the Toronto media were making fun of Hawk and Wimpy, calling them "Ren and Stimpy". Now that Paciorek's gone and DJ is in his place, I think Ren and Stimpy would be more entertaining.

I personally enjoy Miller and Morgan, now that Bob Costas doesn't broadcast baseball anymore, they're the best national TV team. I still prefer Rooney and Farmer when the Sox are playing, though.