PDA

View Full Version : our hitting under gary ward

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 09:09 PM
i know there are already 8 "fire gary ward" threads and i hesitate to jump on that bandwagon because i believe in giving managers and coaches the benefit of the doubt when possible but when you look at our offense over the last couple years its not all that pretty:

frank thomas has not hit under gary ward. after his comeback season in '00 frank struggled horribly the first month of '01 before getting injured and has hit about .250 ever since. frank is aware of some of his mechanical problems and broadcasters seem to talk about them frequently as joe morgan did tonight yet the problems have not been fixed.

carlos lee has not hit since gary ward was hired. carlos was excellent for his first 2.5 seasons. he's been going downhill ever since ward was hired with the exception of his success in the second half of last season which should be largely credited to manuel for working on plate discipline with carlos.

paul konerko has been in a huge slump ever since the all-star break last season.

our season fell apart last season when after jumping out to a huge start the entire offense fell into a massive slump similar to some of the woes the team has experienced in the last couple weeks.

this season our team is hitting .244.

the bottom line is that this team has not been winning any games lately and the finger can be pointed directly at the offense. fire manuel, fire ward, start trading players, something drastic needs to be done. personally the most logical solution is to do something about the guy who's working with our hitters.

1951Campbell
05-04-2003, 09:20 PM
I dunno. I find the whole idea that a hitting coach can make a huge difference to be pure baloney.

On the other hand, if we fire Ward, well, what is old Sox favorite Hriniak doing? I'd try anything now.

SoxxoS
05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
I dunno. I find the whole idea that a hitting coach can make a huge difference to be pure baloney.

You would think that, but it is more of a psychological thing than a physical thing. That can make a world of difference. I'm sorry, but to be hitting .244 as a team, when our offense is supposed to be a strong point, there has to be something wrong with the hitting coach.

WhiteSox = Life
05-04-2003, 09:27 PM
For a guy who can't even get his very own son to hit halfway decently, I don't think he should have been a hitting coach for a little league team, and clearly, "coaching" a major league team, he needs to go.

So do a bunch of other people, but, for an offense that is supposed to be in the top five of baseball, the lethargy this team is displaying is unbelievable.

:fireward

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 09:31 PM

On the other hand, if we fire Ward, well, what is old Sox favorite Hriniak doing? I'd try anything now.

i don't know. a lot of guys seemed to thrive under von joshua. i think that the mechanics involved in a guys swing are very important and a good hitting coach should be able to correct them.

frank is having trouble hitting the inside pitch. he's turning on pitches too early in anticipation. that's what morgan pointed out tonight. also, he's had problems rising up to much with his back leg since last year. these problems have been diagnosed, i can't believe they couldn't be fixed with a good coach.

on the broadcast the other night, hawk and dj were discussing how when he first came up, carlos lee used to hit off of his front foot sometimes when he needed too but he now stays back in an attempt to hit for power more often. again, i can't believe a good hitting coach couldn't help with this. that's what they're there for to diagnose problems in hitter's mechanics and correct them.

at the point that none of our players are suffering from physical problems (frank is 2 years removed from surgery and scouts say his bat speed hasn't slowed), a hitting coach should be able to help. players aren't just supposed to stop hitting, not when they're as good as frank or in their prime like paully and carlos are.

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

So do a bunch of other people, but, for an offense that is supposed to be in the top five of baseball, the lethargy this team is displaying is unbelievable.

yeah. the most glaring problem i see is that we have nearly our entire team slumping at once. jimenez, maggs, and valentin are about the only players that have hit as well as they were expected too and both of them have still had rough stretches. paully, frank, carlos, crede, and rowand have all slumped horribly. that's simply too many players underacheiving at once to have any expectations of winning baseball games.

1951Campbell
05-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
You would think that, but it is more of a psychological thing than a physical thing.

Okay...then why bother with all the Gary Ward hating?

And if the ESPN guys can see that Frank is pulling stuff, considering they see him very little, why can't a hitter as good as Frank self-diagnose the problem? It's not like Frank doesn't have access to video.

It just seems like this Gary Ward thing is re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

lowesox
05-04-2003, 10:17 PM
The point of a hitting coach is to prevent hitters from falling into slumps. How many WhiteSOx aren't in a slump right now? This is a no brainer.

jeremyb1
05-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Okay...then why bother with all the Gary Ward hating?

And if the ESPN guys can see that Frank is pulling stuff, considering they see him very little, why can't a hitter as good as Frank self-diagnose the problem? It's not like Frank doesn't have access to video.

It just seems like this Gary Ward thing is re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

despite what it says that quote wasn't mine.

as for frank's struggles, i think he has been able to diagnose his problems pretty well. what he's had trouble doing is consisently correcting them. i think that's the hitting coach's job. at the point that we're putting diagnosing problems squarely on the shoulders of the hitters, that indicates there's a problem to me.