PDA

View Full Version : The next hitting coach?

SoxxoS
05-04-2003, 01:17 PM
From the Daily Southtown-

While the White Sox have struggled to score runs this season, their Charlotte farm club has thrived thus far under batting instructor Greg Walker.
Through Friday night, the Triple-A team ranked second in batting average and home runs in the International League.

"We heard a lot of good things about Greg the last two seasons," said Sox bench coach Joe Nossek, who's known Walker since the latter was a first baseman for the South Siders from 1982-90. "He's a quality person and a smart guy. His time (to manage in the majors) will come one day."
Willie Harris credited Walker for his turnaround this season.

"Boy, that guy can get you on track, I tell you ," said Harris, who hit .420 in 23 games before his promotion last Thursday. "We worked every day, not just in the cage but in the game. Greg can get on your butt, even when you're at bat. He helps you with whatever you need."

Harris was impressed with Walker's communication skills in particular.

"Greg is a coach, but it's almost like he's a player, too," Harris said. "He lets you know that he's with you regardless. He cheers just like a player."

Outfielders Joe Borchard (.282, 2 HRs, 15 RBI in 18 games) and Cliff Brumbaugh (.377, 5, 14, 22 games) and second baseman Aaron Miles (.324, 3, 8, 17 games) have also made strides under Walker in the early going this season.

When you say "one day" do you mean, like, tomorrow? I'll bet all the tea in China that Ward is gone by the end of the week. Possibly tomorrow if we suck it up on national TV. This guy Walker is the only logical replacement.

I'm also not thrilled with Borchard only having 2 HR's in 18 games, but we'll attribute that to the wrist tendinitis he was suffering from.

duke of dorwood
05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
If he got Harris to hit, there's hope.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2003, 01:32 PM
If Manuel is (eventually) fired, I hope like hell the Sox are planning to hand a pink slip to Gary Ward, too. Von Joshua got fired in '01 for precisely the same problems that effect the team today. At least Ward has some guys who can be expected to hit. I doubt anyone short of Christ Himself could have ever done much with Clayton and Ramirez batting #8 and 9.

:von
"And they would rather watch 'Meet the Parents' than work with me, too!"

:fireward

Paulwny
05-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
From the Daily Southtown-

Greg can get on your butt, even when you're at bat. He helps you with whatever you need."

This works with minor league players but, will the million dollar egos on the sox pay attention or continue on their merry way?

MRKARNO
05-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
If he got Harris to hit, there's hope.

Well somehow, Harris can hit anywhere else BUT the Sox. He hit .375 for Mayaguez in the Winter Puerto Rican league and .420 for charlotte. Maybe we should hire Mayaguez's hitting instructor

SoxxoS
05-04-2003, 01:59 PM
If Manuel is gone, there is a 100% chance that Ward is gone with him. No way they keep Ward without Manuel.

LuvSox
05-04-2003, 02:30 PM
This guy Walker is the only logical replacement.

"This guy"? Do you know who Greg Walker is?

SoxxoS
05-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
"This guy"? Do you know who Greg Walker is?

The hitting coach from Charlotte...

voodoochile
05-04-2003, 04:37 PM
The hitting coach from Charlotte...

And ex-Sox first baseman...

Daver
05-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
And ex-Sox first baseman...

And former Kenny Williams team mate.

voodoochile
05-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by daver
And former Kenny Williams team mate.

and Charlie Lau/Walt Hrniak disciple?

LuvSox
05-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
and Charlie Lau/Walt Hrniak disciple?

and all around fan favorite who should be an obvious part of recent Sox history.

Foulke You
05-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
and all around fan favorite who should be an obvious part of recent Sox history.

Yep, Greg Walker was a damn good hitter and 1B for the Sox. I'd love to see Walker as hitting coach. The articles in the Southtown from last year were enough for me to see that the Sox hitters have tuned Ward out completely. What is the worst that could happen in bringing Walker in? The offense certainly can't do any worse than they are performing now. This makes logical sense and therefore the Sox will certainly give it some consideration as they continue to look for ways of improving the team