PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think Stewart isn't a major league pitcher

SoxxoS
05-04-2003, 01:52 PM
I went into yesterdays game with Stewart on the bump thinking "Ok, this kid has a 3.84 ERA. He doesn't impress me, but he obviously gets people out."

I usually see the games on MLB TV, but yesterday the game was on WGN, which is a lot better to watch.

Stewart doesn't feature anything good. Nothing. His fastball is pretty straight 89 mph. He doesn't change speeds. He doesn't throw a change. He can't place his curveball. And, he doesn't have the command needed with the way he throws. He has 13 walks, when a pitcher like him should be at 4, TOPS. On 0-2 I don't think I have seen him throw inside once.

We just saw Barry Zito last week. If their is any pitcher that Stewart should emulate, it's Zito. Zito only throws 89 like Stewart. However, he changes speeds with the best of them and has one of the best curveballs in the majors. Zito is a 3 pitch pitcher.

I am not saying Stewart is going to be like Zito. However, he should go back to AAA and learn how he pitches.
I knew the game was over yesterday when there were two men on for Cameron in the first inning, and Stewart throws a 89 mph fastball down the heart and Cameron knew that exact pitch was coming. He just missed it and fouled it straight back. 2 pitches later, another 89 mph heater that Cameron waited backed on and smoked the opposite way (what a concept) for a 3 run HR. Game.

Plus, I knew we weren't going to score 3 runs anyway.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 02:21 PM
I realize I'm biased but when the Sox start touting another one of their young pitchers I get concerned.

Outside of Mark Buehrle (whom the same Sox management thought could not be a starter0 I can't think of any impact home grown pitchers since the McDowell / Fernandez / Thigpen era.

I just don't think the Sox are a good organization at developing young kid pitchers. I don't know why.

I know letting Rick Peterson go to the A's (where he helped develop Zito, Muler and Hudson) is shaping up as a hugh mistake.

I don't think the Sox will ever be confused with the Dodgers organization of the 60's and 70's at developing great pitchers. It would make things a lot easier of they did!

Lip

Daver
05-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I don't think the Sox will ever be confused with the Dodgers organization of the 60's and 70's at developing great pitchers. It would make things a lot easier of they did!

Lip

Actually they have had the opportunity to do just that,but instead call young pitching up well before they are ready to pitch at the MLB level.Stewart is a prime example of this.

It all relates back to their refusal to sign pitchers to long term deals,and being forced to use their young talent.

duke of dorwood
05-04-2003, 02:25 PM
The signing of Estaban Loiza may be an admission that they cant develop as they thought.

duke of dorwood
05-04-2003, 02:28 PM
And Stewart right now can be a major league pitcher, especially since he's left handed. He's learning right now, and he's very young.

voodoochile
05-04-2003, 02:32 PM
IMO, Stewart is never going to be more than long-relief or 5th starter material with long-relief being the more probable outcome. I said it yesterday - once hitters learn to sit on his curve and hit the ball the other way, he is through. Cameron showed it last night perfectly. The guy has no bite on his pitches and without a better fastball, he won't be a stud anytime soon.

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Stewie has the talent to be a good MLB pitcher. He's young which is valid because he's only a few starts into his career. I liked getting a taste of what he has against ML teams and with some time to work on his shortfalls at AAA, I think he could contribute later this season or next year. The Sox need more acquisitions like Loaiza and a long-term set of pitchers. Sign up Buehrle please!

baggio202
05-04-2003, 05:30 PM
its too early to tell on stewart..he should still be in charlotte....he should go back down and pitch sucessfully in AAA some more and then like in sept we would have a betetr idea on the guy..he's a lefty so he is gonna get alot of chances...

UnderpantsGnome
05-04-2003, 06:12 PM
I think Stewart still has a lot of potential. He just doesn't seem to be able to outthink the hitters right now. Throwing a fastball down the middle on 0-2 seems proof of this.

Remember how mediocre Mark Buehrle was up until early 2001? Then he started talking with David Wells on the bench all the time. Wells has similar stuff as Buehrle (87-90, good curve, changes speeds), but the big thing is his idea about pitching. That seemed to have rubbed off on Buehrle. We should hope Buehrle can pass some of this savvy on to Stewart.

I'm sick of seeing guys get up here because they throw hard. Alan Embree throws hard. Ditto Billy Koch, Matt Anderson. If you can't spot your 98mph heater, then it's going to end up on some kid's dresser. My point is that Stewart didn't get up here with dynamite stuff. I'd like to think he has some of these intangibles that make guys like Buehrle so good.

DrCrawdad
05-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by UnderpantsGnome

Ok, this is off-topic but what's the background story on your user name UnderpantsGnome?

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Ok, this is off-topic but what's the background story on your user name UnderpantsGnome?

I'm not sure that I want to know. :D:

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Underpants Gnome is from an episode of South Park.

Lip