PDA

View Full Version : Pessimisitc pasts VS. Optimistic futures

lowesox
05-04-2003, 12:46 PM
I think there's an interesting difference between WhiteSox fans and the WhiteSox organization.

The organization (including the players) seem to always think the best is ahead of them. In a tribune article today, JM says that he's very positive that this team can get it together. The players seem to feel it's still early. Even the broadcasters are always saying things like how by the end of the year the bullpen will be a strong suit, or the offense. Every year, in September we're filled with chirping about how good things are looking "next year."

The fans on the other hand seem to be living in the past. Even though we're still very much in the thick of things standings-wise, several WSIers have given up on this team and this season. Why? Because for the last few years we've played poorly and we seem to be doing the same things wrong again. The problem is we always look at the things this team has done wrong, and rarely the things this team could start doing well. Joe Crede hit a homerun last night, which offers a glimmer of hope that he might be snapping out of his funk, but I haven't read one post about that. Instead, everybody has been writing about who's been bad. Should Stewart be demoted or Garland. For some reason, we'd rather dwell on an ugly (and yes it has been ugly) past rather than what could be a promising future.

Think about how promising it could be. We have two very capable aces in our rotation. A batting order that could be very dominant. And a bullpen that could be dominant as well. If those "could be's" were to come through this team could win the World Series. And while the beginning of the season has been sh*tty, it has by no means eliminated the potential that this team and season still hold.

This team remains well within the thick of things, and more importantly is 15-15 today. Tonight's game will determine whether or not we're a team with a winning record or a losing record.

I think its time the fans and the organization start looking at the present - one game at a time. And tonight is a really great time to start.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2003, 01:20 PM
And if the Sox get shellacked tonight, what will you do then? Talk about our "weak" division and our "easy" schedule the remaining 91 games this year? About how there is "so much time" to make up ground in our division?

These are things that we've heard a lot the last few years. Yet nothing changes. It's institutional. Change must happen from above, IMO.

FanOf14
05-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Should Stewart be demoted or Garland. For some reason, we'd rather dwell on an ugly (and yes it has been ugly) past rather than what could be a promising future.

Think about how promising it could be.

I've been hearing about "the promising future of the Sox" my whole life, when the hell is it going to get here? How many more years of frustration and disappointment must we, the Sox fans, deal with before seeing the Sox come to fruition and play the way they should? :?: I for one am really sick of playing the waiting game.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
I am 47 years old...I've been a Sox fan for 42 years.

In that time I have seen this team make ONE World Series appearance (and remember nothing about it)

I then waited 24 years before 1983 when the Sox lost in four.

I then waited another 10 years when the Sox lost in six.

Seven years later the Sox were swept out of the first round of the playoffs.

Since 1959 I have seen expansion clubs or basically garbage organizations like Kansas City, Toronto, Arizona, Anaheim, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Pittsbugh and Cleveland get to and in most cases win the World Series.

They seem to have figured out the "magic formula" for at least one season.

Just wondering Lowe (and I'm not ripping you for your beliefs) why can't the Sox?

People wonder why I'm a pessimist. Maybe it's because of the organizations track record for the past (in my case) 42 years.

The Sox in my lifetime have NEVER had an owner willing or able (more likely the former) to spend money, beg, borrow, or steal
enough talent to get to the series. I'm sorry I don't see that changing. Call it a curse from 1919 if you like.

I'm convinced a total complete change in the franchize / organization from the top down is the only recourse left to try to start fresh. Half assed and partial solutions don't seem to work here and besides what have the Sox got to lose? They can't get any more mediocre then they already are can they? (Fact: Since 1997 the Sox have AVERAGED 83 wins per season)

Lip

voodoochile
05-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Pessimistic: The Sox get killed tonight.

Optimistic: JM and GW get fired tomorrow or after the upcoming 6 game stretch on the west coast where they NEVER play well.

Pessimistic: The Sox give the Job to Kimm and play .500 ball the rest of the way.

Optimistic: The Sox hire a serious manager and win the division.

I still believe this team will make the playoffs, and will be a stronger club in September than it is today, but they are in danger of falling into a serious funk and letting the season get away from them.

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Pessimist: We get whooped tomorrow and lost all six on the coast.

Optimist: At least JM will get fired either way!

lowesox
05-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Here's optimism - and before you all roast me for it - consider it. Baseball is as contagious a sport as I can think of. For instance: when one player in the order is hitting well, the rest seem to as well. Just like when one member of the bullpen struggles, eventually they all do. Same thing seems to go for rotations. I think fans also contribute to this contagiousness.

We acquired Bartolo Colon to be our ace in the offseason, and so far he's had very little impact. But what if he wins tonight. Really, how unrealistic is it to hope for him to go 8innings and give up 2runs? And then what if Buerle gets back on track? Is that unrealistic? Because as far as I'm concerned those are the two areas where we need change in the rotation. Garland hasn't been great, but we've won a couple games that he's started - same with Stewart, and Loaiza's been good (despite his last game out).

So let's say those two guys get going - and Maggs and PK somehow out of the blue pick it up. Then we have a core to rebound with.

The truth is we've lost 9 out of last 12 (or at least something like that) so every thing looks way worst than it actually is. But I truly believe it will only take one or two guys to change things. Starting with Bartolo tonight.

Its going to be a huge game for us. I'll be rooting them on from the edge of my seat. I think we all should.

gosox41
05-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Pessimistic: The Sox get killed tonight.

Optimistic: JM and GW get fired tomorrow or after the upcoming 6 game stretch on the west coast where they NEVER play well.

Pessimistic: The Sox give the Job to Kimm and play .500 ball the rest of the way.

Optimistic: The Sox hire a serious manager and win the division.

I still believe this team will make the playoffs, and will be a stronger club in September than it is today, but they are in danger of falling into a serious funk and letting the season get away from them.

Pessimistic: Even if the Sox do fire Manuel and replace him with a comptent manager, KW will be the GM of this of this team for a long time to help keep it down.

Optimistic: The Steak Pitas at the Cell are pretty tasty.

Bob

baggio202
05-04-2003, 04:21 PM
pessimist..we are gonna get our ass kicked tonight in front of a national audience

optimist...the weather report is calling for rain all evening

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 07:47 PM
it's certainly raining a lot so far.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Lowe:

What you are stating is certainly possible however that's an awful lot of "ifs".

Real contenders KNOW they are going to win, they don't have to hope that A, B, C, and D go right for them to do so.

This has been the thinking of the Sox since the White Flag Deal and unfortunately when A goes right, B explodes, C falls on its face and D works out only average. As a media friend that I've known for 25 years told me the Sox seem to take a step forward, then two steps back.

You can't win that way.

Lip

lowesox
05-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Lowe:

What you are stating is certainly possible however that's an awful lot of "ifs".

Real contenders KNOW they are going to win, they don't have to hope that A, B, C, and D go right for them to do so.

This has been the thinking of the Sox since the White Flag Deal and unfortunately when A goes right, B explodes, C falls on its face and D works out only average. As a media friend that I've known for 25 years told me the Sox seem to take a step forward, then two steps back.

You can't win that way.

Lip

Well we certainly didn't have what it takes to win again tonight. But after getting embarassed by both Seattle and Oakland i think there's a strong possibility that Manuel will get fired tomorrow.

MAybe that will be the difference.

I'm not going to give up on this team. I'm waiting for the turning point. It's going to happen.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2003, 10:41 PM
And Charlie Brown's going to kick the football and kiss the "cute little red headed girl"?

Lip