PDA

View Full Version : Desperate times call for desperate measures...

MRKARNO
05-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Six (seven) step plan for the White Sox to rebound

Step One: Fire Jerry Manuel and replace him with Bobby Valentine (because he's the type of manager that Sox fans will tolerate). Fire Gary Ward and replace him with Walt Hriniak

Step two: Demote Billy Koch and Promote Marte to closer.

Step Three: Send Garland and Stewart to the Minors while promoting Wright and Porzio and/or Rauch

Step four: Bring up Borchard

Step five: Do not make any midseason trades

Step Six: Tell Tom Skilling to change the weather to warm

Step seven: Promote Tetsu Yofu because his name is cooler than Rick White

Daver
05-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Step One: Fire Jerry Manuel and replace him with Bobby Valentine (because he's the type of manager that Sox fans will tolerate).

I for one will not tolerate Bobby Valentine or his ineptitude,he is worse than JM.

MRKARNO
05-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Well it seems that Sox fans will only tolerate managers who yell their heads off regardless of how good of a manager they are. I dont think valentine should necessarily be our manager, but I also dont think manuel or leyeva should. We need someone high profile and I dont mean Bruce Kimm

TheBigHurt
05-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Step seven: Promote Tetsu Yofu because his name is cooler than Rick White

NEVER heard of him.....WHO is he anyways :?:

BE GOOD

baggio202
05-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

BE GOOD

reliever in birmingham..we got him from taiwan...putting up pretty good numbers iirc

ShoelessFred
05-04-2003, 01:37 AM
you forgot to add

Jerry Reinsdorf selling the team and leaving all of us sox fans alone for the rest of eternity.

spanishwhite
05-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by daver
I for one will not tolerate Bobby Valentine or his ineptitude,he is worse than JM.

I agree is some aspects, but he did take a slightly above average
Mets team to the series.

Their pitching staff was not better than ours (and if our offense hadn't disappeared this offseason) I would say the same for their offense.

But he is a BIG jackass.

Very conflicting!

The post for Dierker was a good idea.

BTW

Yofu WILL be up here at some point in the next two years.

spanishwhite
05-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt

BE GOOD

He was dominating AA and is now doing decent in AAA.

Needs a little more time in minors before playing for us.

Ive seen him pitch and b/t him and Pacheco we have some
VERY solid relievers to count on in the future.

Compared to the Mariners' Hasegawa but with a better
fastball.

Hangar18
05-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
you forgot to add

Jerry Reinsdorf selling the team and leaving all of us sox fans alone for the rest of eternity.

Jerry Reinsdorf and Eternity. Why dont I like the way that sounds? Watch, Jerry Reinsdorf is going to be like CMontgomery Burns, hes going to live to be 120, and the He'll still be talking about the empty blue seats and controlling payroll. And How he promises a world championship before 2087

lowesox
05-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Last night I got to thinking, and I'm pretty sure Jerry Manuel only has a game or two left in a WhiteSox uniform. I think if we lose tonight he'll be fired. I'm not even sure he'll be the manager tonight. And whenever he goes, Gary Ward will be dismissed at the same time.

Personally, I like the idea of the first post in this thread. Imagine the impact of doing all that would have? I've been looking for a turning point since we split the 4 game series with Cleveland. A massive overhaul of those proportions would certainly light a fire.

Has Jim Leyland said that he wouldn't return to managing? Anybody know? Because I'd love to have him as a manager. Bobby Valentine is pretty good too in my books.

I will be sorry to see Jerry go though.

soxnut
05-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Jerry Reinsdorf and Eternity. Why dont I like the way that sounds? Watch, Jerry Reinsdorf is going to be like CMontgomery Burns, hes going to live to be 120, and the He'll still be talking about the empty blue seats and controlling payroll. And How he promises a world championship before 2087

Hangar18 you are a very enthusiastic Sox fan and you have a lot of great ideas. But how can you dog JR after getting your picture taken with him? If I didn't like someone, I sure wouldn't take a picture with him, no matter who he is...

:hawk
yeah..that's BS

And alot of you guys talk about JR selling the team, you better damn well hope that there is someone willing to buy them that would KEEP THEM HERE. Portland, DC, and Puerto Rico are-a-callin...be careful for what yo wish for.........

oldcomiskey
05-04-2003, 10:19 AM
yeah because the players quit on him--but he allowed them too....and My buddy daver dont like Bobby Valentine---Im interested--who would he hire?

whitesoxwilkes
05-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

That may be the perfect Sox/Simpsons analogy. JR as Burns and KW as Smithers. Eeexxxxxcellent.

faneidde
05-04-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm a big Bobby Valentine fan. As was noted earlier, he took an average Mets team to the World Series, then he got fired because the GM kept bringing in over-priced and over the hill veterans (wait, that sounds really familiar). Plus, that stunt he pulled a couple of years ago where he came back in disguise after getting tosed was hilarious.

MHOUSE
05-04-2003, 11:55 AM
I've been a fan of Valentine after he took the Mets to the series. I think he's an ass sometimes but also more aware and AWAKE than JM. He'll know when to yell and when not to. Right now someone needs to yell at everything. Marte is a stud! Struck out the ninth. Should he be closer? He can't do worse than Koch. I agree we should bring up Wright and maybe Porzio or Rauch. Stewie and Garland have been iffy at absolute best. They could help this team but not on this showing. We need some changes. If we lose or don't demolish SEA tonight then JM and Ward are fired on the off day.

soxnut
05-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
That may be the perfect Sox/Simpsons analogy. JR as Burns and KW as Smithers. Eeexxxxxcellent.

That won't work..........Michael McCaskey is Mr. Burns :D:

gosox41
05-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Last night I got to thinking, and I'm pretty sure Jerry Manuel only has a game or two left in a WhiteSox uniform. I think if we lose tonight he'll be fired. I'm not even sure he'll be the manager tonight. And whenever he goes, Gary Ward will be dismissed at the same time.

Personally, I like the idea of the first post in this thread. Imagine the impact of doing all that would have? I've been looking for a turning point since we split the 4 game series with Cleveland. A massive overhaul of those proportions would certainly light a fire.

Has Jim Leyland said that he wouldn't return to managing? Anybody know? Because I'd love to have him as a manager. Bobby Valentine is pretty good too in my books.

I will be sorry to see Jerry go though.

I don't see the Sox bringing in a proven, big name manager. They'll take the cheap way out...assuming the even fire Manuel.

Bob

1951Campbell
05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Actually, Bobby V has been managing the Sox for the last three weeks...he's just in disguise, that's all.

:D:

UnderpantsGnome
05-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I've been a fan of Valentine after he took the Mets to the series. I think he's an ass sometimes but also more aware and AWAKE than JM. He'll know when to yell and when not to. Right now someone needs to yell at everything. Marte is a stud! Struck out the ninth. Should he be closer? He can't do worse than Koch. I agree we should bring up Wright and maybe Porzio or Rauch. Stewie and Garland have been iffy at absolute best. They could help this team but not on this showing. We need some changes. If we lose or don't demolish SEA tonight then JM and Ward are fired on the off day.

I wouldn't mind Valentine. He seems able to speak better than JM anyways, if that counts for anything. I cringe when I read Manuel quotes.

Marte has earned the right to be this team's closer. We did the same with Foulke and Howry when Howry couldn't get it done. I'd like to see Koch hit his spots with a 94-95mph fastball instead of wildly slinging a 98mph fastball. We don't need a Matt Anderson (with goofy threads hanging from his lower lip, no less). Koch's velocity seemed low Sat. night, but he wasn't hitting his spots...

Rauch got knocked around pretty good the other day, or so I heard. I'm not sure he's ready. Do you really want Porzio up here? He's never impressed me. I'd rather see Ginter, or even Munoz. Stewart has pitched better than Garland overall, so I think you keep his lefty arm in the rotation when Wright comes back. Garland may be an outstanding addition to our pen. His problem seems to be maintaining his concentration for more than a few innings, so maybe he'll dominate in late relief situations.

If JM gets fired, I will miss his fierce arguments with the umps. Even though he goes out there far too seldom, he really gets into the whole in-your-face-head-shakin' thing. I love seeing that.

:jerry:
"What? These guys love me. Just look at this haircut."

maurice
05-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by UnderpantsGnome
Rauch got knocked around pretty good the other day, or so I heard. I'm not sure he's ready. Do you really want Porzio up here? He's never impressed me. I'd rather see Ginter, or even Munoz.

Rauch - 3.10 ERA in 5 starts
Porzio - 1.55 ERA in 5 starts
Ginter - 3.50 ERA in relief
Munoz - 12.54 ERA in relief

Marginally-related super bonus stats:

Borchard - .270 AVE / .295 OBP / .405 SLG in 74 ABs