his arm.

Im sorry but I would rather have an erratic Wright or Garland
that is well rested pitching than putting a tired Buehrle out
on the mound.

Just a thought.

faneidde
05-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Lose 22 games!
Its not his fault he gets no run support.

WinningUgly!
05-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
He is projected to pitch in 39 games

Close to 260 innings.

Lose 22 games!

Am I the only one who thinks that we are overusing
his arm.

on the mound.

Just a thought.

Those projections don't mean squat! He's also projected to have an ERA of 3.72. No pitcher will ever lose 20+ games with an ERA under 4.

Paulwny
05-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Those projections don't mean squat! He's also projected to have an ERA of 3.72. No pitcher will ever lose 20+ games with an ERA under 4.

In 1980 Brian Kingman was the last pitcher to lose 20 games, he was 8-20 with an era of 3.83

bc2k
05-03-2003, 03:43 PM
He is projected to pitch in 39 games

Close to 260 innings.

Lose 22 games!

Am I the only one who thinks that we are overusing
his arm.

on the mound.

Just a thought.

39 starts, wow. If only he had the run support that he had last season, he could have been the first 30 game winner since... McCline?

spanishwhite
05-03-2003, 11:01 PM
the point was.....

actually Im not going to say it b/c I dont want to jinx him.

But Ill just say that AJ Burnett is no longer pitching for the next
year and questions have been risen for that.

And Im positive that Buehrle will not get 20 losses but with
the offense that supports him, it is not insane to see a record like
19-18.

Daver
05-03-2003, 11:23 PM
the point was.....

actually Im not going to say it b/c I dont want to jinx him.

But Ill just say that AJ Burnett is no longer pitching for the next
year and questions have been risen for that.

And Im positive that Buehrle will not get 20 losses but with
the offense that supports him, it is not insane to see a record like
19-18.

I am going to say this about pitch counts and arm injuries,and then shut up on the subject.

If your pitching coach has to rely on pitch counts,and for that matter the radar gun,to manage his pitching staff,get a better qualified pitching coach,because the one you have is not doing his job.A pitching coach should be able to gauge his pitchers not on the number of innings thrown,or on the number of pitches thrown,but on the quality of the pitches thrown late into a game.

He also has to be able to judge the amount of stress that it takes for that pitcher to throw his pitches,A guy like Mark Buerhle does not labor to throw the ball,his mechanics cause little arm stress,and thus he can get away with throwing 130 pitches without it jeopardizing his arm,whereas a guy like Gary Glover,who has to use his back and his shoulder to throw the ball because that is what makes his pitches effective,cannot pitch much more than 70 pitches a game without risking injury.I use those guys as examples for no reason other than to contrast a guy that has very good mechanics and throws from his legs to a guy that has lesser mechanics,this is not a comment on either pitchers ability.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

TheBigHurt
05-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by daver

But then again what the hell do I know?

daver, you'd be surprised.....

BE GOOD

Soxboyrob
05-04-2003, 01:35 AM
He also has to be able to judge the amount of stress that it takes for that pitcher to throw his pitches,A guy like Mark Buerhle does not labor to throw the ball,his mechanics cause little arm stress,and thus he can get away with throwing 130 pitches without it jeopardizing his arm,whereas a guy like Gary Glover,who has to use his back and his shoulder to throw the ball because that is what makes his pitches effective,cannot pitch much more than 70 pitches a game without risking injury.I use those guys as examples for no reason other than to contrast a guy that has very good mechanics and throws from his legs to a guy that has lesser mechanics,this is not a comment on either pitchers ability.

Pretty nice analysis, actually. Good job.

kermittheefrog
05-04-2003, 02:44 AM
I am going to say this about pitch counts and arm injuries,and then shut up on the subject.

If your pitching coach has to rely on pitch counts,and for that matter the radar gun,to manage his pitching staff,get a better qualified pitching coach,because the one you have is not doing his job.A pitching coach should be able to gauge his pitchers not on the number of innings thrown,or on the number of pitches thrown,but on the quality of the pitches thrown late into a game.

Pitch counts really have screwed the A's organization haven't they? Pitch counts and the radar gun are tools. They can be used well or used foolishly. To discard tools altogether is the most foolish option. To say a good pitching coach has no use for pitch counts is as silly as saying a good GM never has a use for statistics.

spanishwhite
05-04-2003, 03:38 AM
Bueno Daver,

I put out a thought and u quelmed my worries with
a very profound answer.

I have to say that even though that I do not always agree
however you know your ish and know baseball better than
I do.

Much respect given from this spanish hombre. :smile:

Kroozah
05-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Very well said Daver!! Kudos