PDA

View Full Version : Our Worst Baseball Nightmare


Viva Magglio
05-02-2003, 10:39 PM
As we continue to flounder, the teams we need to lose keep winning. Even the Cubs. The Royals and Twins won, meaning we are 4˝ behind Kansas City and now only ˝ ahead of Minnesota. And we are now 2 games behind the Cubs for a better record.

Right now, Cub fans are masturbating about being in first place in May. And the media is playing with themselves over the Cubs too. I used to believe in the theory that we should not worry about what the Cubs are doing and just worry about what we are doing. Not anymore. We have already gone to great lengths at WSI to prove that the media has a pro-Cub bias. They go much more ga-ga over their success. Like Dave Wills said the other day on ESPN Radio 1000, I as a Sox fan cannot stand it when the Cubs have a better record than us.

And as for Kansas City and Minnesota, which we should worry about, we did manage to take two of three from each of them. Didn't we. However, that does not excuse us from playing like crap against everybody else. I think KC will eventually fade, but Minnesota is really for real. Right now, we can't carry the Twins jocks.

You know, I should have expected did. And, deep down, I probably really did. This is the third season in a row in which it was thought that we would go somewhere but failed. What happens is that the organization makes a popular move (Wells, Lofton, Colon) and talks out of their asses at SoxFest about how good on paper they think we are. Well, this is reality and it bites the big one.

As fans of the Sox, we are truely martyrs on many fronts.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Shades of 1984, 1989 and 1998.

Lip

Viva Magglio
05-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Shades of 1984, 1989 and 1998.

Lip

:chunks

Daver
05-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!


As fans of the Sox, we are truely martyrs on many fronts.

Martyrs my ass,the Sox haven't done anything with their play on the field in the last two years to prove they are better than anyone.

Viva Magglio
05-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
Martyrs my ass,the Sox haven't done anything with their play on the field in the last two years to prove they are better than anyone.

I did not say the Sox themselves are martyrs. We the fans are for having to put up with this crap.

Daver
05-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I did not say the Sox themselves are martyrs. We the fans are for having to put up with this crap.

That was my point,we the fans are not martyrs,we're guilty of trusting JR,that does not make you a martyr,it makes you a victim,or a fool,your choice.

Viva Magglio
05-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by daver
That was my point,we the fans are not martyrs,we're guilty of trusting JR,that does not make you a martyr,it makes you a victim,or a fool,your choice.

No, we are martyrs of JR's ownership too. Most of us became Sox fans well before JR became Chairman Jerry.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Bases loaded in the first inning. Double play and one freakin' run.

I figured that the game was over and the Sox played it into reality.

Very disheartening loss tonight. I sure hope this team can rebound, but I don't have much hope.

:whiner:

Daver
05-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
No, we are martyrs of JR's ownership too. Most of us became Sox fans well before JR became Chairman Jerry.

That doesn't change the fact that you are not a martyr,you are either a victim or a fool,the choices haven't changed though.

Paulwny
05-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by daver
That doesn't change the fact that you are not a martyr,you are either a victim or a fool,the choices haven't changed though.

The rev. Jones promised his flock the promised land, they were victims and fools. JR promised his flock the promised land, we also are victims and fools.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Say AMEN brother!

Seriously both the Sox and Cubs brought in veterans this season. The Sox have been totally flat, the Cubs are playing inspired ball.

What are the differences? Well the Cubs payroll is 25 million more and the Cubs got Dusty Baker, look who the Sox have.

That's the biggest difference right there don't you think?

Lip

DrCrawdad
05-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Say AMEN brother!

Seriously both the Sox and Cubs brought in veterans this season. The Sox have been totally flat, the Cubs are playing inspired ball.

What are the differences? Well the Cubs payroll is 25 million more and the Cubs got Dusty Baker, look who the Sox have.

That's the biggest difference right there don't you think?

Lip

The Cubs have been playing well, but it's May 3rd. Weren't the Sox in 1st place last year at this point?

Keep in mind a few things too about the boys in blue...

The Cubs are striking out actually at a slightly higher rate than last year.

* 2002 7.8 per game
* 2003 7.9 per game

The Cubs defense is poor.

* Cubs are 23rd in MLB for Fielding Percentage (worse than the Sox).
* Cubs are 22nd in MLB in Team Errors (worse than the Sox).

The Cubs pitching has been great, but I wonder when the hitting settles down if the strike-outs and porous defense will start to hurt them.