PDA

View Full Version : Did you know the Sox passed on Bonds in the '85 draft

ssang
05-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I was just messing around on the internet and I found out something that I had no clue about. The Sox had the 5th pick of the '85 draft and chose Kurt Brown, a catcher. The 6th pick just so happened to be Barry Bonds by the Pirates. OUCH! That sucks. Who the hell is Kurt Brown?

Blueprint1
05-02-2003, 12:33 PM
They also signed Albert Belle over him after asking Frank Thomas who he wanted on the team.

hose
05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I was just messing around on the internet and I found out something that I had no clue about. The Sox had the 5th pick of the '85 draft and chose Kurt Brown, a catcher. The 6th pick just so happened to be Barry Bonds by the Pirates. OUCH! That sucks. Who the hell is Kurt Brown?

Let's see 1985....hmmm looks like I took a pass on that Microsoft stock, I had all my dough in beta vcr technology :D:

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Do you remember what a nightmare Bonds was with the Pirates, fighting with his teammates and being unmanageable? It's easy to look at the Bonds of today and say it was a mistake, but I'll bet they weren't sorry at the time.

Blueprint1
05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
That is true he was a real pain in the butt. Albert Belle he was a saint when the sox picked him up.

Bobby Thigpen
05-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Do you remember what a nightmare Bonds was with the Pirates, fighting with his teammates

How's that different than him with the Giants? Bonds is a jackhole.

ssang
05-02-2003, 01:48 PM
I just wanted to point it out. Obviously, it's tough to judge the Sox on that one. I mean, who knew? I just think it's funny that we passed on Bonds for some random catcher. It seems typical of the Sox. But seriously, who knew?

thecell
05-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How's that different than him with the Giants? Bonds is a jackhole.

Yeah, but he's one of the best jackholes in the history of the game.

Daver
05-02-2003, 01:55 PM
I just wanted to point it out. Obviously, it's tough to judge the Sox on that one. I mean, who knew? I just think it's funny that we passed on Bonds for some random catcher. It seems typical of the Sox. But seriously, who knew?

Ron Schueler also left Magglio Ordonez available in the rule 5 draft in 1998.Strange the way things happen sometimes.

Procol Harum
05-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Trust me, he's a flash in the pan. We got Bobby Thigpen (4th rd.) and the Pope--Donn Pall--(23rd rd.) in that draft--that's not too bad. We rule! :gulp:

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Did you know the Sox passed on Bonds in the '85 draft
NO, I didnt but the Sox did a lot of things

BE GOOD

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How's that different than him with the Giants? Bonds is a jackhole. Bonds is Miss Congeniality now compared to when he was with the Pirates.

Every team in baseball can tell stories about "the one who got away." In fact, they can tell multiple stories.

Stoky44
05-02-2003, 02:45 PM
I am glad we passed on Bonds because I hate him, almost as bad as Sammy "wife beater" Sosa.

Randar68
05-02-2003, 03:42 PM

Did you know the Sox passed on Lance Berkman a few years ago? Know who they drafted one spot ahead of him? Jason Dellearo.

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Did you know the Sox passed on Lance Berkman a few years ago? Know who they drafted one spot ahead of him? Jason Dellearo.
YUP, a classic good Sox move

T Dog
05-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Barry Bonds was a star on an excellent Arizona State University baseball team. In those years, the Sun Devils also had stars like Odibe McDowell who seemed to hold as much promise. Judging how amateur baseball talent will succeed at the major league level is difficult. Bonds' act was well known and might have kept him from going higher.

From that era, the Sox drafted Grady Hall, a southpaw from Northwestern who was supposed to be special. He didn't look special a few years later when he was facing Kenny Williams in a minor league game before about 60 people in Yuma, Arizona. The amazing thing about the draft is not when a team passes up on a future star, but when they get it right.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

What about the players the Sox missed when their first round choice was offensive powerhouse Mark Johnson?