PDA

View Full Version : Billy Koch is Hurt.....I believe

Hangar18
05-02-2003, 09:52 AM
He has looked pretty brutal so far, and his Fastball, his bread-and-butter Pitch, has been hit into the seats with some Regularity. Ive noticed hes barely hit 90's in a few of his appearances and mostly been in the 80's. This is a guy who has thrown 98, 99 100 mph. Hes yet to throw that as a SOX.
I know the Sox want to say its his mechanics and all, but I believe soon enough, were going to hear him Suddenly being put on the DL. Im worried about him.

hose
05-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
He has looked pretty brutal so far, and his Fastball, his bread-and-butter Pitch, has been hit into the seats with some Regularity. Ive noticed hes barely hit 90's in a few of his appearances and mostly been in the 80's. This is a guy who has thrown 98, 99 100 mph. Hes yet to throw that as a SOX.
I know the Sox want to say its his mechanics and all, but I believe soon enough, were going to hear him Suddenly being put on the DL. Im worried about him.

I think that Koch's pride is injuried.

Even if Koch is injured and does go on the DL the Sox could always move Marte in the closer's role and promote some of the talent they have in the minors.

Lance might be hearing the phone Ring soon :D:

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Even after a couple of scorless outings and a save, he looked bad last night. I have no confidence in him and I'm not surprised that JM doesn't either. I want him to be dominant for us and all but truth is, he's not showing it right now. Maybe last night would serve as a wakeup call.

Iguana775
05-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by hose
I think that Koch's pride is injuried.

quick...someone get him some ice cream!!! boo freaking hoo!!

Procol Harum
05-02-2003, 11:16 AM
JM made the right move last night--I knew that Koch had nothing by his second pitch. If Koch is hurt he better stinkin' well tell somebody about it and get it taken care of.

SoxxoS
05-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I think hes got the dreaded "dead arm."

Put him on the DL for 15 days, and evaluate him then. We can't afford to lose and wins in any inning, let alone the 9th.

34 Inch Stick
05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
The ghost of Nardi strikes again.

Bobby Thigpen
05-02-2003, 02:34 PM
As long as he doesn't have a torn labrum. Does any organization in the world tear as many of those as we do?

doublem23
05-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
quick...someone get him some ice cream!!! boo freaking hoo!!

Ha ha ha...

czalgosz
05-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that he's having control problems. He can't get his best fastball over the plate, and so he's taking something off to get it over. And without his best fastball, he's meat.

SoxxoS
05-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that he's having control problems. He can't get his best fastball over the plate, and so he's taking something off to get it over. And without his best fastball, he's meat.

You would think, however, that he would let one loose sometime during the inning. I haven't seen him above 94 yet (I think that was during the Detroit series). That worries me. I wouldnt be suprised in the least if he gets put on the DL with a "dead arm" in the next few days here...

Daver
05-02-2003, 05:47 PM

Cooper had him change his delivery and his release to keep him from sidestepping off the mound after every pitch,it has affected everything.

czalgosz
05-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
Cooper had him change his delivery and his release to keep him from sidestepping off the mound after every pitch,it has affected everything.

I hadn't heard that; why would he do such a thing?

Daver
05-02-2003, 06:02 PM
I hadn't heard that; why would he do such a thing?

Coop said in an interveiw on FSN that it was to get him out of the habit of throwing across his body,in an attempt to avoid injury.

BTW I trust Coop's opinion on this.

Chisox_cali
05-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Coop said in an interveiw on FSN that it was to get him out of the habit of throwing across his body,in an attempt to avoid injury.

Man when I saw the first message in this thread, and saw you replied, I was just waiting for the obligitory "Don't use the radar gun as a judge" statement, I'm shocked not to see it! :)

czalgosz
05-02-2003, 06:07 PM

I guess I'll defer to the expert.

Hopefully Koch will bounce back, but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. The bullpen isn't a weakness right now, aside from Koch.

Unregistered
05-02-2003, 06:17 PM
The bullpen isn't a weakness right now, aside from Koch. ahem...

Foulke You
05-02-2003, 06:51 PM
I believe that it has to be an extreme difference of mechanics or "dead arm" for Koch. When I see this guy pitch, I can't believe it is the same guy who I watched top the gun readings at 101mph with Toronto and regularly reached 99-100mph with Oakland. The same Billy Koch who used to always carve up our lineup at the end of a game is throwing 90-92mph do nothing fastballs. Right now, Koch has an average fastball and a hard slider that he can't locate for strikes. We need fireballer Koch to make his reappearance if we want to win this year.

czalgosz
05-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
We need fireballer Koch to make his reappearance if we want to win this year.

It would be nice, but not necessary. The Sox can win without Koch. It's been weak hitting, not Billy Koch, that's been costing the Sox thus far.

SoxxoS
05-02-2003, 07:23 PM
It would be nice, but not necessary. The Sox can win without Koch. It's been weak hitting, not Billy Koch, that's been costing the Sox thus far.

True, but Koch has already cost us 2 games.

Jerry_Manuel
05-02-2003, 07:24 PM

He's been throwing at a training facility before games for I believe a week now. I heard he had an MRI and nothing showed but he's been a little sore. If he really is hurt he needs to sit down and give Marte the ball.

MisterB
05-02-2003, 07:50 PM

So the choice is a closer who's either effective but risking serious injury or ineffective and healthy. Great.

capn12
05-02-2003, 09:41 PM
http://images2.fotki.com/v23/photos/4/41833/106603/lastweek2-vi.gif

Clarkdog
05-03-2003, 06:44 PM

That's is interesting. On Baseball Tonight, Gammons stated that several scouts had said that Koch's mechanics are a mess and that is costing him 4 -5 mph on his fastball. Is it Cooper's tinkering or Koch struggling with getting back his form since Spring Training?