PDA

View Full Version : What About This

ChiSoxBobette
05-02-2003, 08:00 AM
I've heard that Willie Harris has finally been called up & Rowand sent down. What about putting Harris at 2nd base Jimenez at shortstop & moving Valentine to centerfield I think Jose played the outfield in winterball again this past off season. Harris can leadoff, Valentine can still bat 2nd and then we can move Jimenez down to 9th in the batting order.
1 - Harris - 2nd base
2- Jose Valentine - CF
3- Frank Thomas - DH
4- Magglio Ordonez - RF
5- Paul Konerko - 1st base
6- Carlos Lee - LF
7- Joe Crede - 3rd Base
8- Alomar/Olivo - C
9- Jimenez- SS

JUST A THOUGHT WITH HARRIS BEING CALLED UP NOW.

GO WHITE SOX!
WELCOME BACK WEE WILLIE!
:)

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 08:16 AM
I don't know who this Valentine character is who can play CF. Never heard of him. Where was Jose Valentin going to fit into your lineup? :D:

Iguana775
05-02-2003, 08:17 AM
been there, done that.

Jose shouldnt be anywhere but SS.

JMO.

baggio202
05-02-2003, 08:19 AM
in '01 valintin pulled a hammy running down a fly ball in CF...that experiment really didnt work out..

jimenez really isnt a SS..ask the folks in san deigo..he lacks range and arm kinda like the choice...but would never carry his fielding pct..

i do like the idea of trying harris at leadoff..especially if he can hit the ball on the ground 2/3rds of the time...

not really sure how i feel about this idea but if harris finally shows he is not an AAAA'er but can hit major league pitching we can address the two weaknesses of this team (no speed at the 1 hole , lack of lefty power) by doing this

harris cf
jimenez 2b
hurt dh
maggs rf
manos ss
pauly 1b
carlos lf
crede 3b
catchers

i guess it would depend on if the sox think harris will play cf the rest of the year or if he is here just as a temporary stop gap until borchard claims the position later in the year..im not thrilled with harris defensively in cf...he has no arm and takes bad routes...maybe he has fixed some of that down in charlotte..lets hopes so...im also not sure if moving manos from the two hole is wise because he has so well there this year and in the past...but its a thought

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Has Wee Willie played much CF in AAA this season?

ChiSoxBobette
05-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I don't know who this Valentine character is who can play CF. Never heard of him. Where was Jose Valentin going to fit into your lineup? :D:

SORRY ,VALENTIN!
:angry: :D:

ChiSoxBobette
05-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
been there, done that.

Jose shouldnt be anywhere but SS.

JMO.
HE COULD'NT MAKE ANYMORE ERRORS IN CF THAN HE DOES AT SS!
:angry: :D:

hose
05-02-2003, 08:51 AM
I have to believe that the Sox infield w/ Tony G as the utility player is set for the most part.

Now if D'Angelo's sore knee is still bothering him in the future may be Willie will get a couple spot starts at second.

Or JM wants a couple of stronger right handed bats against lefty's he can plug in Tony at ss and Harris at 2nd. Don't put anything past the "tinker".

KW must have read my post about getting more speed like the Sox teams that had Lance Johnson.
:D:

I think that Willie should be down at the bottom of the order and is playing CF till Brochard gets the call up in a little while.

May be the Sox are going to make some trades and some spots will open up.
Of course KW had his CF last year till Disney put the Kibosh on the deal %$#@^&

"That Mickey Mouse out fit is pissing me off"
:KW

Hangar18
05-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Man, I like some of these lineup scenarios.
Does Everyone think South Side Willie is Ready this time?? Im not so sure....

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Man, I like some of these lineup scenarios.
Does Everyone think South Side Willie is Ready this time?? Im not so sure....

YOU better believe he is ready......

hold2dibber
05-02-2003, 10:31 AM
In theory, in would be nice to have someone like Harris at the top of the lineup (fast), but in reality, Jimenez is much better suited for the job. I'd rather have a .400 OBP (or even a .350 OBP guy) that sees a lot of pitches and doesn't steal bases, than a .300 OBP guy that can steal bases but doesn't see many pitches. It's not even close. If Harris proves he can actualy get on base at a decent clip, than hitting him 1st, Jimenez 2nd and moving Jose down to 6th would be a great line-up. But Harris should be hitting 9th until he shows he can hit (or until Borchard or Rowand come up to replace him).

voodoochile
05-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
YOU better believe he is ready......

Okay, then we better hope he is actually good enough...

voodoochile
05-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
In theory, in would be nice to have someone like Harris at the top of the lineup (fast), but in reality, Jimenez is much better suited for the job. I'd rather have a .400 OBP (or even a .350 OBP guy) that sees a lot of pitches and doesn't steal bases, than a .300 OBP guy that can steal bases but doesn't see many pitches. It's not even close. If Harris proves he can actualy get on base at a decent clip, than hitting him 1st, Jimenez 2nd and moving Jose down to 6th would be a great line-up. But Harris should be hitting 9th until he shows he can hit (or until Borchard or Rowand come up to replace him).

Exactly. Jimenez has been fine in the leadoff spot. Don't mess with it. Harris can get his at bats in the ninth slot unless he proves he is ready for more. Speedy guys with no proven track record in the majors hit 9th. It's a pretty simple system and it works.

dougs78
05-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I've heard that Willie Harris has finally been called up & Rowand sent down. What about putting Harris at 2nd base Jimenez at shortstop & moving Valentine to centerfield I think Jose played the outfield in winterball again this past off season. Harris can leadoff, Valentine can still bat 2nd and then we can move Jimenez down to 9th in the batting order.
1 - Harris - 2nd base
2- Jose Valentine - CF
3- Frank Thomas - DH
4- Magglio Ordonez - RF
5- Paul Konerko - 1st base
6- Carlos Lee - LF
7- Joe Crede - 3rd Base
8- Alomar/Olivo - C
9- Jimenez- SS

JUST A THOUGHT WITH HARRIS BEING CALLED UP NOW.

GO WHITE SOX!
WELCOME BACK WEE WILLIE!
:)

I don't understand why you would need to move jose or jimenez at all to accomplish this. Harris can be in CF and do a better job than jose. I'm just not grasping why you feel it would be beneficial to do all this moving just to fit in Harris at 2b, as opposed to CF???

NewyorkSoxFan
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Exactly. Jimenez has been fine in the leadoff spot. Don't mess with it. Harris can get his at bats in the ninth slot unless he proves he is ready for more. Speedy guys with no proven track record in the majors hit 9th. It's a pretty simple system and it works.

Agreed, if he gets on from the 9th spot imagine how many oppt, he will have with D'angelo batting behind him to steal. He takes so many pitches, and you have Jose behind him with ducks on the pond if they both get on. Jose is dangerous with men on, even with 2 outs.

Ease him in, let him bat 9th.

NYSF :smile:

voodoochile
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
I don't understand why you would need to move jose or jimenez at all to accomplish this. Harris can be in CF and do a better job than jose. I'm just not grasping why you feel it would be beneficial to do all this moving just to fit in Harris at 2b, as opposed to CF???

He want's the manager's job and figured tinkering was the way to get it done... :)

FarmerAndy
05-02-2003, 12:45 PM
I look at it like this.

1. Jimenez has done a great job in the leadoff spot, don't move him.

2. I like Willie Harris better at 2B.

3. You can't replace Valentin's clutch bat and leadership, so he has to be in the lineup. Should always stay in the #2 spot.

4. Valentin is an absolute butcher at shortstop. Say what you will about his arm and his range, he's a horrible shortstop.

5. We already have a full-time DH.

So really, what I am trying to say is.... I don't know what the hell to do.

ChiSoxBobette
05-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I would agree with you but some earlier posters suggested that Willie should'nt be a centerfielder and it seemed they we're worried about his centerfield abilities so I suggested him at 2nd base and Jose in CF with D'J at ss. I'm just glad they're letting Rowand go down to get his act together I just hope its not to late for his confidence. I hope Harris burns up the big league as he has AAA. I think the next guy they have to worry about is Garland.
Go White Sox

Blueprint1
05-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Didnt we try that stupid move in 2001 Jose is the shortstop not the CF not the 3rd basemen hes the SS. We do not want him in CF. ehh quit it will this idea people its not a good one

doublem23
05-02-2003, 01:50 PM
God dammit... I don't know what Willie Harris has done to make us think he's some spectacular player...

FarmerAndy
05-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Didnt we try that stupid move in 2001 Jose is the shortstop not the CF not the 3rd basemen hes the SS. We do not want him in CF. ehh quit it will this idea people its not a good one

Commas and periods, try 'em.

You're right though, Jose is the shortstop. A pretty bad shortstop, but he is the shortstop.

Good observation.

AngelLeroy
05-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
God dammit... I don't know what Willie Harris has done to make us think he's some spectacular player...

Absolutley nothing. But don't forget how bad Rowand was doing. Right now just about anything would be better than him.

Anyway, I'd like having him hit as #9. I mentioned in a previous topic that I thought it would be great for the Sox to have a "second leadoff" guy in that slot, especially with the patience and contact ability Jimenez has.