hose
05-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Willie Harris has been called up and Rowand sent down

MHOUSE
05-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Just heard it on the postgame show.

bc2k
05-01-2003, 10:19 PM
according to Dave Wills on the post-game show.

Enjoy TheBigHurt :gulp: :gulp:

hose
05-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by hose
Willie Harris has been called up and Rowand sent down

Beat Mhouse by 1 minute posting this thread

MHOUSE
05-01-2003, 10:21 PM
lucky bastard....I had to set down ASB2004 and rush to the computer. photo finish tho.

duke of dorwood
05-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Our savior

cheeses_h_rice
05-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Didn't Rowand have another "adventure" in CF tonight? I was listening on the radio and I thought Rooney or Farmer mentioned something about an "if Rowand had..." situation.

hose
05-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
lucky bastard....I had to set down ASB2004 and rush to the computer. photo finish tho.

LOL !!

The Big Hurt at this moment is probably tossing and turning in his bed getting subliminal vibes from Wee Willie :)

bc2k
05-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
according to Dave Wills on the post-game show.

Enjoy TheBigHurt :gulp: :gulp:

Quick work Voodoo, this thread got moved to a post in a hurry. You work faster than JM pulls Koch.

Daver
05-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Quick work Voodoo, this thread got moved to a post in a hurry. You work faster than JM pulls Koch.

It wasn't Voodoo.

MRKARNO
05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
My calls on the board have been answered with action. This is absolutely, positively the right move to make. Thank god someone has brains in the front office

Daver
05-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
My calls on the board have been answered with action. This is absolutely, positively the right move to make. Thank god someone has brains in the front office

Oh yeah,let's call up a guy that can't play the position to replace the guy that can't play the position.

Armando Rios is your new CFer,scary thought.

lowesox
05-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
Oh yeah,let's call up a guy that can't play the position to replace the guy that can't play the position.

I think Harris should be the new starting CF and leadoff hitter. Then Jimenez can bat second where he's better suited, since he takes so many pitches.

If you're not going to fire Gary Ward, having a sparkplug player like Harris is the next best thing. With his speed, he should help the Sox get away from their "long ball" mentality.

baggio202
05-01-2003, 10:45 PM
question..when harris starts where would you bat him???...leadoff..jimenez 2nd and drop val to 5th or 6th for a lefty with some pop in the middle of the line up???..just a thought

Kilroy
05-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think Harris should be the new starting CF and leadoff hitter. Then Jimenez can bat second where he's better suited, since he takes so many pitches.

If you're not going to fire Gary Ward, having a sparkplug player like Harris is the next best thing. With his speed, he should help the Sox get away from their "long ball" mentality.

I don't like any move that takes Valentin out of the 2 hole. Don't **** with that. As far as Harris, maybe he can get on base and do some running, something the Sox offense is severly lacking. When was the last time someone stole a base??

Daver
05-01-2003, 10:47 PM

Hitting is only half the game,the smaller half I might add,Harris is not a CFer,he is an infeilder.

lowesox
05-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I don't like any move that takes Valentin out of the 2 hole. Don't **** with that. As far as Harris, maybe he can get on base and do some running, something the Sox offense is severly lacking. When was the last time someone stole a base??

I love Valentin but I think he's better suited for a power spot in the order. PErsonally, I think he'd be a nice fit in between Konerko and Lee.

lowesox
05-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Hitting is only half the game,the smaller half I might add,Harris is not a CFer,he is an infeilder.

So based on defense, who would you like to see out in center?

Daver
05-01-2003, 10:53 PM
So based on defense, who would you like to see out in center?

Joe Borchard.

lowesox
05-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Joe Borchard.

I don't think Borchard's ready yet. I've read more then a couple negative posts about Crede today. If Borchard came up, and was striking out often - he'd get it pretty fiercely too.

Daver
05-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I don't think Borchard's ready yet. I've read more then a couple negative posts about Crede today. If Borchard came up, and was striking out often - he'd get it pretty fiercely too.

Robin Ventura wan't ready either,he did allright.

voodoochile
05-01-2003, 11:03 PM

Didn't Joe just come back from an injury a week or so ago? Give him a chance to get his timing back and then bring him up. Harris deserves the shot because of the way he is playing. Besides, Rios can handle the everyday CF duties for a while if necessary.

I'm wondering if this is a message to Jimenez. He just sat for two straight games and then they bring up a guy whose best natural position is 2B...

LuvSox
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM

This brings back some memories. Wasn't he 0 for everything? Yep, he turned out ok.

Blueprint1
05-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Hhahahaha i love this post. harris can't hit remember???? he doesnt walk at all remember?????? Lead off hitter???? wow you guys must be looking at a different Harris.

Daver
05-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Didn't Joe just come back from an injury a week or so ago? Give him a chance to get his timing back and then bring him up. Harris deserves the shot because of the way he is playing. Besides, Rios can handle the everyday CF duties for a while if necessary.

I'm wondering if this is a message to Jimenez. He just sat for two straight games and then they bring up a guy whose best natural position is 2B...

Jiminez don't hit so good from the right side,that is why he was sitting.

Rios in center is just as scary as Harris in center.

TheBigHurt
05-01-2003, 11:13 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....MY goodness this is more then great wow folks I'm going to enjoy this one....LETS hope he stays up now and he better perform too..HE ain't just going to stand around...HE better enjoy it and perform....THIS is great!!!!!!!WHAT a way to end the knight and be very very very happy more then my usual happy I mean its finally Happened Wee Wee Willie is here in 2003......LETS pretend he wasn't here last yr

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO :gulp: :gulp: :) :)

IM going to enjoy this one.....HAVE fun Rowmyboat I'm glad you took my advice in going to CharlotteCheer there NBA team on

BE GOOD folks wow this is a great knight for a lot of reasons!!!!!! :)

LuvSox
05-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....MY goodness this is more then great wow folks I'm going to enjoy this one....LETS hope he stays up now and he better perform too..HE ain't just going to stand around...HE better enjoy it and perform....THIS is great!!!!!!!WHAT a way to end the knight and be very very very happy more then my usual happy I mean its finally Happened Wee Wee Willie is here in 2003......LETS pretend he wasn't here last yr

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO :gulp: :gulp: :) :)

IM going to enjoy this one.....HAVE fun Rowmyboat I'm glad you took my advice in going to CharlotteCheer there NBA team on

BE GOOD folks wow this is a great knight for a lot of reasons!!!!!! :)

***?

TheBigHurt
05-01-2003, 11:18 PM
CAN'T Jiminez play at SS everyday or sometimes for Manos and Wee Wee Willie can play at 2B and occ. CF though like daver I know and relize Borchard is our future CF and should be called up immenditly as well :)

BE GOOD

Jjav829
05-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Wow, some people here turn on players so quick. Willie Harris sucks! But yet we are rearranging our batting order for him? My ass! What am I missing here? Im thinking of the .270 OBP Willie Harris we saw last year who should be nothing than a bench player who gets the occasional start and pinch run. Yet, now we're gonna take our leadoff hitter who has done a find job this year out for....Willie Harris?! No thanks! Take away playing time from arguably our best offensive player on the year, Jose Valentin? NO! I am scared that we have to rely on Willie Harris or Armando Rios as an everyday player! I'm more willing to sit through Joe Borchard's struggles at this point. I hope Willie Harris proves me wrong, but I am not exactly thrilled about this.

GASHWOUND
05-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Wow, some people here turn on players so quick. Willie Harris sucks! But yet we are rearranging our batting order for him? My ass! What am I missing here? Im thinking of the .270 OBP Willie Harris we saw last year who should be nothing than a bench player who gets the occasional start and pinch run. Yet, now we're gonna take our leadoff hitter who has done a find job this year out for....Willie Harris?! No thanks! Take away playing time from arguably our best offensive player on the year, Jose Valentin? NO! I am scared that we have to rely on Willie Harris or Armando Rios as an everyday player! I'm more willing to sit through Joe Borchard's struggles at this point. I hope Willie Harris proves me wrong, but I am not exactly thrilled about this.

I think bringing up harris gives us more flexibility to manufacture runs, than with Rowand. The guy was hitting over .400 down in Triple A, so he's swingin the bat pretty good...can't do any worse than Rowand's below .200 avg. Also, with this move we can try Jose down in the order to break the all right handers we have after the 2 hole..
Obviously we weren't getting the job done offensively with Rowand, so maybe Harris can spark the team at the top of the order.
Who knows, but I'm gonna give this move a chance before I judge.
And I doubt he's gonna take away ANY playing time from either Jose or Jimenez. Especially Jose.

valposoxfan
05-02-2003, 01:33 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030501soxnotes,1,2739028.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines

Well Aaron Rowand's brutal tenure in centerfield is finally over for now. Willie Harris is back up and is going to challenge D'Angelo's bat. Maybe there will be some heart due to the fact there will be some competition now. According to KW, JM is safe and doesn't need a vote of confidence. He is the manager and everything has been talked about already. Koch isn't happy about what happened tonight but Manuel says he will talk with him. Very newsworthy night everyone....

valposoxfan
05-02-2003, 01:36 AM
This has been posted already. Take it for what it's worth.

valposoxfan
05-02-2003, 01:39 AM
JJav I completely agree with you. Hopefully he won't suck like last year.....

lowesox
05-02-2003, 07:33 AM

I find it absolutely hilarious how the same posters who in the past have shown no patience with slumping players, are the same ones who are urging management to rush Borchard to the majors.

guillen4life13
05-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Some of you can't believe we're so optimistic about Harris. I can't believe you're basing EVERYTHING about him on what he did in limited AB's last year. Jeez, and then once he gets on a streak, you'll deny having ever said that he's garbage. If the man is hitting over .400 in Charlotte, it's evident he doesn't belong there... he belongs at the show. It's not like we have any CFer who's performing lights out, and we have one that's been hitting horribly. This can't do anything bad. Why are you all so negative about it?

baggio202
05-02-2003, 08:29 AM
the thing that bothers me about harris is unless he has learned how to play CF in the last month (which is doubtful since he was the 2nd baseman in charlotte most of the time) he is worse defensively in CF than rowand...as bad as rowand he was our best defensive outfielder...okay the best of a poor lot is nothing to get excited about i know but he did make a nice catch in CF to save koch's butt...does harris make that catch ???...an outfield of lee , harris/rios , maggs really scares me defensively...i worry about weakening our outfield even more in the field....thats why i think borchard might have been a better choice for CF right now...but it looks like we are gonna coddle him

who knows what the sox plan is..maybe harris is here to play 2nd base and rios is the CF...jimenez hasnt played in 2 days...is he in the dog house??

hose
05-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Jiminez don't hit so good from the right side,that is why he was sitting.

Rios in center is just as scary as Harris in center.

chicago tribune:
Who's not: The Sox are hitting just .235 against righties. Not good considering they will face three right-handed starters from Seattle. D'Angelo Jimenez, recovering from a sore right knee, is hitless in his last 17 at-bats. Joe Crede has two hits in his last 24 at-bats.

I didn't know that D'Angelo's knee was banged up.

baggio202
05-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by hose
chicago tribune:
Who's not: The Sox are hitting just .235 against righties. Not good considering they will face three right-handed starters from Seattle. D'Angelo Jimenez, recovering from a sore right knee, is hitless in his last 17 at-bats. Joe Crede has two hits in his last 24 at-bats.

I didn't know that D'Angelo's knee was banged up.

last year jimenez had a higher average from the right side than the left...if my kid didnt run off with my chisox media guide (little bastard :D: ) id give you the splits but i looked it up earlier in the year when i was wonder who graffy would play for more when we face lefty pitching

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Harris
Jimenez
Frank
Maggs
Jose
Konerko
Lee
Crede
Olivo

Harris gives us speed at leadoff and Jimenez is better for batting 2nd. Jose gives us some left-handed power in the heart of the lineup and Lee will get walks and some power down in the order with Crede struggling. I like that.

Blueprint1
05-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Okay I really don't understand why everyone thinks Harris should be the leadoff man. Does anyone remember last year when Harris was with the sox? Harris also played for Baltamore they got rid of him for Chris Singleton. He does not get on base enough for a leadoff man. Yes Harris is fast and make a great pinch runner but he has not show the ability to get on base at the Major League Level. Since Harris OBP. was awful the last time he was in the league I see no reason why it would be any better now. If Harris is going to play he will be in the 8th position for now. If Harris shows the ability to get on base in that spot sure you can move him up to the lead off spot. All you people that hate Aaron Rowand remember he was hurting us in the 8 spot if you move Harris up to the leadoff spot and he has his around 200 obp. again that means were being hurt at the top of the order and no one will be on base for our big guns. I think its funny how everyone has forgot how bad Harris was last season. Every time Harris came up to bad i though, "Well this is an automatic out." The sad part is that he didn't move runners with is outs also he did everything bad at the plate. I want Harris to do well i'm a Sox fan but lets look at the numbers. PLUS I just heard someone say Harris is hitting .400 at AAA are you the same person that defined a AAAA player as a person who tears up AAA pitching but cant hit in the majors? hmmmm could you say that about Harris as well as Roward I thinks so

Risk
05-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Kind of a low risk move on the part of management. Even though Harris isn't a pure centerfielder in the traditional sense, he certainly could not be much worse than Rowand with the stick.

Oh, and one more thing--its time to sh**can Manuel and Ward. There is absolutely no conceivable way that this team should be only 2 games above .500 with the line-up that they field. Unbef'inlievable. :angry: :?: :angry:

Risk

hose
05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
last year jimenez had a higher average from the right side than the left...if my kid didnt run off with my chisox media guide (little bastard :D: ) id give you the splits but i looked it up earlier in the year when i was wonder who graffy would play for more when we face lefty pitching

LOL !!! the little rascal

I have my media guide handy and D'Angelo batted .261 vs. leftys and .247 vs. rightys

Career wise .262 vs. left and .267 vs. right

D'Angelo's best career stats are .331 during day games and .478 with the bases loaded.

Best scenario is to get Jiminez in a Thursday afternoon game with the bases loaded and $1 hot dogs in the stands WOOHOO

steff
05-02-2003, 10:41 AM

Thank you Daver. Harris is a ****. And will play like **** at this level. He'll be worse than Aaron in the longrun. Take that to the bank.

NewyorkSoxFan
05-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Harris
Jimenez
Frank
Maggs
Jose
Konerko
Lee
Crede
Olivo

Harris gives us speed at leadoff and Jimenez is better for batting 2nd. Jose gives us some left-handed power in the heart of the lineup and Lee will get walks and some power down in the order with Crede struggling. I like that.

I wouldn't bat harris leadoff. Its to important of a spot in the order to put that kind of pressure on him. I would bat him 9th and Move Olivo up to 8th. If he gets on D'angelo takes pitches well if he gets into scoring position he can get him in with a base knock. If they both get on then you have Jose in an rbi position to drive in runs from the bottom of the order.

It also eases him into the lineup. I don't think you want to put that much pressure on him right off the bat. This guy can't save this team, we just want him to be a contributing member unlike Rowand.

NYSF

Randar68
05-02-2003, 11:31 AM
What I really want to know is this: Where is jeremy with a dissertation on why this is a terrible move and why we should keep a no hit, no walk, no steal, no bunt, no defense player in CF every damn day!

This was the right move. The problem is they left the only guy in our system who is somewhat ready and can play CF in AAA. Willy is not a major league every day player either. He's another hustle guy. However, since he hit .400 in 100 minor league at-bats, a stat that is far different than any career numbers, I suppose that would make him the second coming of Jesus.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
...This was the right move. The problem is they left the only guy in our system who is somewhat ready and can play CF in AAA. Willy is not a major league every day player either. He's another hustle guy. However, since he hit .400 in 100 minor league at-bats, a stat that is far different than any career numbers, I suppose that would make him the second coming of Jesus.

It's been my opinion that the Sox will hold off bringing up Borchard to delay his eligibility for FA. I don't know what that date is, but once it passes I won't be surprised to see Borchard here.

I doubt that Willie will hit .400 with the Sox. But since Rowand is struggling so, IMO it's worth a shot to try a guy who's hot, even it if it's temporary. I will cringe though every time a ball is hit to center with Willie out there.

Send Rowand down to AAA to work things out with his hitting. See if you can catch lightening in a bottle with Willie, ride that out and then bring up Borchard.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2003, 12:24 PM
FWIW

Julio Ramirez is hitting .367 in 30AB for Anaheim's AAA SALT LAKE STINGERS.

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Thank you Daver. Harris is a ****. And will play like **** at this level. He'll be worse than Aaron in the longrun. Take that to the bank.

ILL put that in teal for ya..... Harris is a ****. And will play like **** at this level. He'll be worse than Aaron in the longrun. Take that to the bank.

steff
05-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ILL put that in teal for ya..... Harris is a ****. And will play like **** at this level. He'll be worse than Aaron in the longrun. Take that to the bank.

Please don't. I don't joke about things I know about. Enjoy your little pee pee's time here. He'll be gone soon.. hopefully out or this organization.