PDA

View Full Version : Jerry is killing me...

longshot7
05-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Why the hell is he pulling Koch? Is he the closer or not? this is the same crap that happened to Foulke last year. It's the 1st of May for chrissake. Leave him in there - how is he supposed to build his confidence when you yank him after he allows two baserunners. Absolutely ridiculous. Sure he had a few bad outings, but it's early. Good Lord, yeah May 1st is the perfect time to panic. If I was Kenny I'd chew him out like crazy. Ugh.

doublem23
05-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Whatever... Had he left Billy in there and watched him serve up a three-run bomb, we'd have a million, "Why didn't he put Marte in?" threads...

Maybe Jerry's realizing who his good relievers are. Too bad he didn't notice them last year else the best wouldn't have been in the right field bullpen tonight.

longshot7
05-01-2003, 11:25 PM
He's lost 1 game this year. You've got to be kidding me - give him a chance!

Bisco Stu
05-01-2003, 11:27 PM
The WIN was all that mattered. Nobody wants to see Koch become a dominant closer more than me, but so far he's not doing the job and we HAD to have this one. If we're a contender, we've got to stay above .500 at all costs.

Kilroy
05-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
The WIN was all that mattered. Nobody wants to see Koch become a dominant closer more than me, but so far he's not doing the job and we HAD to have this one. If we're a contender, we've got to stay above .500 at all costs.

That's right. Koch didn't look too confident out there. On that second fly-out, I thought that Koch thought it was gone. Jerry made the right move.

jeremyb1
05-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
He's lost 1 game this year. You've got to be kidding me - give him a chance!

koch has 2 blown saves in only 5 chances. his era was over 8 going into this start. he's performed far worse than foulke did at the beginning of last season. i agree he should be given every chance to rebound but not at the expense of wins.

Viva Magglio
05-02-2003, 12:22 AM
I have been among the most prominent proponents of Manuel's ouster, but he made the right move tonight. Koch wasn't fooling anybody. It is Manuel's job to win the ballgame, not pacify Koch's ego. And we all know that if Manuel left Koch in there and Chávez took him deep, the "FIRE JERRY MANUEL" tag would have set a one-day usage record. And Kenny Williams would probably have heeded that tag's advice right after the game.

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Like Wills and Melton said on the postgame show, Jerry had to win it for the other 24 guys on the team even if at the expense of Koch's ego. Gutsy move by Jerry. Perhaps he's feeling the heat as well? He needed the W and Koch was iffy again at best. I hope that next 9th he ships Billy back out there with Marte as insurance again until he's back to form.

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 12:29 AM
THIS Tinker-roo has been killing me for a long time......

BE GOOD