PDA

View Full Version : See ya Garland

balboner
05-01-2003, 08:30 PM
He looks awful again. It's time to send his busted career back to the minors.

WhiteSox = Life
05-01-2003, 08:32 PM
That has got to be a record.

:smile:

Blueprint1
05-01-2003, 08:50 PM
HE CAN'T GO BACK TO THE MINORS!!!! SO STOP SAYING THAT

Daver
05-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
HE CAN'T GO BACK TO THE MINORS!!!! SO STOP SAYING THAT

He has an option left Blueprint,I checked. :redneck

Jjav829
05-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
He has an option left Blueprint,I checked. :redneck

Last time I trust you! :smile:

Seriously, I think we may need to exercise that final option soon.

ShoelessFred
05-01-2003, 08:59 PM
HE NEEDS TO BE SHOWN THAT HIS SPOT ON THIS TEAM IS NOT guanrnteed!!!!! SHIP HIS ASS DOWN AND BRING UP WRIGHT. i've met the guy on a couple different occasions and he's freaking arrogant as hell for someone who has done diddly poo in the majors.

balboner
05-01-2003, 09:09 PM
I'd be very interested to see if Garland would do good in the majors. Everyone says how good his stuff is, but he has an avg. fastball, and an average curve.

jeremyb1
05-01-2003, 09:39 PM
if he gets through this inning that's 3 er in 5 ip with a w hopefully. that's hardly a great start but i'm not sure its a good enough reason to demote him.

spanishwhite
05-01-2003, 10:01 PM
four runs in five innings.

If he would stop being a %$#*& and walking
people, he would probably do better.

He might win the game, but he needs to go down
to Charlotte.

lowesox
05-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Garland's going nowhere. Sanders will get demoted. Garland will move into the bullpen and Wright will take his spot. This'll work out quite well on all accounts: Garland historically has pitched well out of the bullpen, and the Sox haven't had one righty in the bullpen that they could depend on (with the debatable exception of White).

MHOUSE
05-01-2003, 10:06 PM
5 IP 5R (4ER) 4BB 1K 2HR

We're up 7-5, but Jon's outing can hardly be called a good one. He's lucky the offense showed up so early or he would have no chance at the win tonight. Four walks and two homers aren't good signs at all. It's bullpen time for both teams, I hope ours shows up like last night.

jeremyb1
05-01-2003, 10:19 PM
garland's problem seems to be that he can't consistently reproduce his mechanics. i can't believe coop can't help him with that more.

i think its dead wrong to talk as though garland is walking guys because he's not being aggressive, challenging hitters, and trying to throw strikes. the problem is that most games he seems to battle stretches where his mechanics get out of wack and he simply can't locate the ball. case in point, the third inning tonight where after a 1-2-3 first inning, he gave up a walk, a homerun on a poorly located pitch to tejada, and then two more walks. outside of that inning he seemed to find his mechanics and pitched quite well.

doublem23
05-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Wright or Garland...

What a crapshoot that is.

voodoochile
05-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
5 IP 5R (4ER) 4BB 1K 2HR

We're up 7-5, but Jon's outing can hardly be called a good one. He's lucky the offense showed up so early or he would have no chance at the win tonight. Four walks and two homers aren't good signs at all. It's bullpen time for both teams, I hope ours shows up like last night.

I'm not going to defend the over all numbers that Garland put up, but if you factor out the second inning it wasn't horrible. Yes, I know you can't do that, but he looked much sharper after the Valentin error and managed to work quickly and more effectively in the 3rd-5th. Couple of well hit balls, but the HR by Chavez was just a nice piece of hitting.

I found it encouraging that he came back and looked better. In the past when he has struggled early like that, he has just fallen apart. He looked mentally tougher after the 2nd - more like the guy we saw in his two wins. If anyone goes to the pen, I would prefer it be Stewart, who is going to eventually get hit real hard once teams figure out to sit on his off-speed pitches and take him the other way, IMO.

Garland should not be benched after this performance as it would send a bad message for guys who battle through problems. Yes, he needs to start being more consistent, but right now, I'll take some mental toughness and an aggressive attitude.

MRKARNO
05-01-2003, 11:34 PM
This is Garland's do or die year. If he doesn't right the sinking ship of his pitching ability, he's done with IMHO

SoxxoS
05-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Wright or Garland...

What a crapshoot that is.

Is death an option? :?: :D:

jeremyb1
05-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
This is Garland's do or die year. If he doesn't right the sinking ship of his pitching ability, he's done with IMHO

why? because he'll be 24 and isn't yet an all-star?

lowesox
05-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
why? because he'll be 24 and isn't yet an all-star?

I agree. The moment this organization gives up on Garland and lets him put on another major league jersey we're going to regret it.

ChiSoxBobette
05-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'm not going to defend the over all numbers that Garland put up, but if you factor out the second inning it wasn't horrible. Yes, I know you can't do that, but he looked much sharper after the Valentin error and managed to work quickly and more effectively in the 3rd-5th. Couple of well hit balls, but the HR by Chavez was just a nice piece of hitting.

I found it encouraging that he came back and looked better. In the past when he has struggled early like that, he has just fallen apart. He looked mentally tougher after the 2nd - more like the guy we saw in his two wins. If anyone goes to the pen, I would prefer it be Stewart, who is going to eventually get hit real hard once teams figure out to sit on his off-speed pitches and take him the other way, IMO.

Garland should not be benched after this performance as it would send a bad message for guys who battle through problems. Yes, he needs to start being more consistent, but right now, I'll take some mental toughness and an aggressive attitude.

I don't think Garland has any mental toughness , last night 1st inning Sox get him a 2 run lead Jon go's out for the 2nd inning what does he do base hit to the 2nd man up when he had 2 strikes on that batter and then after getting an 0-2 count on Tejada a fat pitch down the middle for a homerun. Every inning almost the Sox got the guy runs and he either gave up the lead or let the A's score on him and I think it was a majority of the time when he either had 2 outs or gave up a hit when he had the A's batter 0-2, 1-2 or 2-2. After watching the guy last night I'd have to say that the game against the twinkies when Garland got tossed out of the game that he was'nt trying to hit the twinkies 1st baseman just from Garland inconsistent pitching performances. If we're going to make a run at winning this division Garland has to be able to come in when its his turn to pitch and pitch more consistently THE GUY IS A VETERAN PITCHER NOW WHO I THINK HAS MORE BIG LEAGUE EXPIRENCE THAT THE A'S 2 PITCHERS MULDER & ZITO AND THERY'RE LEFTIES THAT EVERY BASEBALL PERSON SAYS TAKES LONGER TO DEVELOPE.
I just don't think the guy will ever be a big league starting pitcher he does'nt have it mentally especially after watching last night to many times he has the batters 0-2,1-2 & 2-2 and he can't put the batter away. It's almost tiem to give up and the Jon Garland project.

GO WHITE SOX!

MHOUSE
05-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I agree. The moment this organization gives up on Garland and lets him put on another major league jersey we're going to regret it.

Please! He's been in the majors for three years and still hasn't produced consistently. Would you cut him this much slack if he had been 24 three years ago when he was called up? We can't keep this experiment going while it hurts the team. I'd rather go with Stewie, he gives us a chance to win every time out which I can't say the same for Jon. If he doesn't produce decent numbers on a consistent basis sometime this season then IMO he should be gone.

baggio202
05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Please! He's been in the majors for three years and still hasn't produced consistently. Would you cut him this much slack if he had been 24 three years ago when he was called up? We can't keep this experiment going while it hurts the team. I'd rather go with Stewie, he gives us a chance to win every time out which I can't say the same for Jon. If he doesn't produce decent numbers on a consistent basis sometime this season then IMO he should be gone.

didnt we say the same thing about kip wells???

i figured with the W eventhough he didnt pitch well he gets a reprive and gets one more chance...if he blows his next outing and if daver is correct in that he has an option left ship him to charlotte and let him work it out down there...danny wright moves into his spot in the roatation and everything else stays the same for now...

i dont care how long he has pitched in the majors it doesnt change the fact that he is 23...because he was rushed to the majors isnt his fault...you have to gve another year to mature imo..

Risk
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
hmm...three choices...
1) demote Garland to the pen and start Glover or Sanders
2) option Garland to AAA and bring up Wright
3) cuss and swear b/c you're replacing crap with crap (I don't care how much potential Garland is said to have--he's an underacheiver. And when it comes to Wright, even if he has shown improvement over the last couple of years, you can't have your #3 or for that matter #4 or #5 starter with an era in the high 4's and low 5's)

Risk

TheBigHurt
05-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Garland will move into the bullpen and Wright will take his spot.

ID be surprised if Garland is sent to the pen.... THE Sox have too much confidence in him

Procol Harum
05-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
ID be surprised if Garland is sent to the pen.... THE Sox have too much confidence in him

That's too bad. Ohhhhh, I'm not feeling so good....

:chunks

voodoochile
05-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I don't think Garland has any mental toughness , last night 1st inning Sox get him a 2 run lead Jon go's out for the 2nd inning what does he do base hit to the 2nd man up when he had 2 strikes on that batter and then after getting an 0-2 count on Tejada a fat pitch down the middle for a homerun. Every inning almost the Sox got the guy runs and he either gave up the lead or let the A's score on him and I think it was a majority of the time when he either had 2 outs or gave up a hit when he had the A's batter 0-2, 1-2 or 2-2. After watching the guy last night I'd have to say that the game against the twinkies when Garland got tossed out of the game that he was'nt trying to hit the twinkies 1st baseman just from Garland inconsistent pitching performances. If we're going to make a run at winning this division Garland has to be able to come in when its his turn to pitch and pitch more consistently THE GUY IS A VETERAN PITCHER NOW WHO I THINK HAS MORE BIG LEAGUE EXPIRENCE THAT THE A'S 2 PITCHERS MULDER & ZITO AND THERY'RE LEFTIES THAT EVERY BASEBALL PERSON SAYS TAKES LONGER TO DEVELOPE.
I just don't think the guy will ever be a big league starting pitcher he does'nt have it mentally especially after watching last night to many times he has the batters 0-2,1-2 & 2-2 and he can't put the batter away. It's almost tiem to give up and the Jon Garland project.

GO WHITE SOX!

I thought he looked better after the meltdown in the second. No, I don't want him given free reign to do this every game, but he could have just given up or failed to adjust last night, but instead he changed his attitude and started working faster and throwing crisper. I agree that this is his season to prove he belongs, but last night actually encouraged me that he just might do that.

maurice
05-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Risk
start Glover or Sanders

Glover and Sanders are not starters. Sanders didn't even start in AAA. If Garland gets demoted to the pen or to AAA soon, the options to replace him in the rotation are Wright (3.55 ERA at AAA) and Rauch (2.25 ERA at AAA).

On a related note, Porzio and Cooper also are pitching well in Charlotte, while Cotts and Pacheco are posting ridiculous numbers in Birmingham.

jeremyb1
05-02-2003, 02:35 PM

look no further than kip wells. the difference between wells when he was struggling with us and garland right now as compared to guys like scott ruffcorn is that guys like ruffcorn never really showed the ability to dominate major league hitters. wells did this over stretches for us just as garland has at times. to me this indicates that garland has the ability and will be a good major league pitcher someday.

there aren't a whole lot of pitchers who struggle only with consistency their entire career alternating between brilliance and disaster from start to start. when its only a matter of consistency, these guys ussually figure it out eventually.