PDA

View Full Version : Sox better score some runs...

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:35 PM
Because I don't think the A's are done scoring today.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Because I don't think the A's are done scoring today.

Damn right, look who's pitching for the Sox now.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:39 PM
This is why the Sox are not above .500 - no middle relief. The Sox have noone to bridge between the starters and Foulke. Other than Howry, the bullpen has been horrible. Of course, with Simas and Wunsch on the DL and Lowe in the rotation, I guess we couldn't expect any more...

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Damn right, look who's pitching for the Sox now.

We are definitely a little thin in the pen.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 04:42 PM
Garland was also quite effective in his stint in the pen, but he too is in the rotation now. I think we should not have traded Baldwin & instead traded Sandy for some help in middle relief.

20-20 hindsight I guess.

Jerry_Manuel
08-18-2001, 04:44 PM
instead traded Sandy for some help in middle relief.

Williams was not going to be able to get much of anything with the condition of his knees.

KempersRS
08-18-2001, 04:44 PM
Garland was also quite effective in his stint in the pen, but he too is in the rotation now. I think we should not have traded Baldwin & instead traded Sandy for some help in middle relief.

We did the right thing by trading JB, we did the wrong thing by getting nothing for him.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Frankly, with the cast of characters the Sox have on the field right now, I'm surprised the Sox are anywhere close to .500. Take out Ordonez and this team is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. For all the Jerry Manuel-hating that goes on here (and believe me, I agree with some of it) you have to give the guy credit for holding this team together and maintaining some sort of respectability.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

We did the right thing by trading JB, we did the wrong thing by getting nothing for him.

No we didn't. We traded away a veteran starter at a time when we were paper thin in the rotation. Not very smart at all.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:49 PM

I think we all overestimate the value of James Baldwin. He's a decent right-handed starter, but remember, he'll be a free agent after this season, and what we got was reasonable for a half-season of James Baldwin.

Remember what we traded for a half-season of Charles Johnson? Other than Brook Fordyce, none of those guys will do anything for the Orioles. I liked JB too, but come on...

Daver
08-18-2001, 04:50 PM
I disagree we got something(granted not much)for a guy that was not going to be re-signed at the end of the season.
And Alomar has virtually no trade value.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
I disagree we got something(granted not much)for a guy that was not going to be re-signed at the end of the season.
And Alomar has virtually no trade value.

Come on now, I'm sure we could get a box of used baseballs & a 6 pack of Icehouse for Sandy. At least that way we get rid of his salary.

Pete Ward
08-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Jerrry Manual is using a 6 man starting rotation. This isnt going to help a thin bullpen.

When was the last CG by a starter?

The starters have got to 7-8 innings or the pen will never get any rest.

We miss this Guy

:simas

and Lowe in middle relief.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 04:57 PM
:JB

"Come on now, you guys know you miss me."

Jerry_Manuel
08-18-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
Jerrry Manual is using a 6 man starting rotation. This isnt going to help a thin bullpen.

When was the last CG by a starter?

He is using a 5 man rotation unless you consider Kip coming in for Glover in the 5th or 6th as another starter. The last CG that I can recall was Buehrle vs. Tampa Bay.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:58 PM
He's not using a six-man rotation... His original idea was to use the six-man, but then Kipper sucked, so he dropped Kip back to the bullpen.

Current rotation -

Buehrle
Lowe
Garland
Wright
Glover

Not something that exactly strikes fear into the hearts of our enemies, huh?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2001, 05:00 PM

Current rotation -

Buehrle
Lowe
Garland
Wright
Glover

Not something that exactly strikes fear into the hearts of our enemies, huh?

Burhle, Lowe & Garland are legitimate starters, Glover is a great guy coming out of the pen & Wright would make a great BP pitcher.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 05:05 PM
In a perfect world, Buerhle would be battling Tim Hudson for the Cy Young award. But this isn't a perfect world, and Clemens will walk away with it. Buerhle will be lucky to get a vote.

Garland has made big strides this season, and is currently an average major-league starter.

Lowe has been great, way better than expected.

I watched the game yesterday with Wright pitching. If he can start to throw strikes with pitches other than his fastball, he'll be dominating. There's still time for that.

Glover would be a good swing man if this team had a full roster.

voodoochile
08-18-2001, 05:05 PM

Burhle, Lowe & Garland are legitimate starters, Glover is a great guy coming out of the pen & Wright would make a great BP pitcher.

Oh come on... Wright hasn't been that bad. His ERA is good and he has good movement on his pitches and can hit 95 on the gun. He may not be the next CY Young, but he has been more than addequate in his stats to date... Give the guy a chance to mature and then you can rip on him, but this is way to early to make a call...

Tragg
08-18-2001, 05:09 PM
Frankly, with the cast of characters the Sox have on the field right now, I'm surprised the Sox are anywhere close to .500. Take out Ordonez and this team is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. For all the Jerry Manuel-hating that goes on here (and believe me, I agree with some of it) you have to give the guy credit for holding this team together and maintaining some sort of respectability.

We've got a decent pitching core, which sets us way apart from the devil rays. And konerko and lee, and, yes, durham are good hitters - not patient this year, but still good if others would get on base.

But we do have clowns manning far too many positions - ss, 3b, cf and c. And the bullpen has lost depth with the injuries and moving garland and glover back to the rotation - lowe too.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 05:13 PM
We've got a decent pitching core, which sets us way apart from the devil rays. And konerko and lee, and, yes, durham are good hitters - not patient this year, but still good if others would get on base.

Sorry for the hyperbole, but at least on paper, this team is worse than the '99 Sox (albeit with a lot more promise), and they could win more games than that team. I think some credit has to go to Manuel for that.