PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here...

Mammoo
05-01-2003, 12:36 AM
...really believe this bunch can win 90 games??? :?:

fuzzy_patters
05-01-2003, 12:40 AM
This team can definitely win 90 games. We have a bunch of players that are playing below their career numbers, and yet we are still around .500. History tells us what kind of numbers these guys will put up, and the difference between .500 and 90 wins is only 9 wins. These players historical numbers show that at some point they will play better, and they only need one brief push to be on pace for 90 wins.

Twins8791
05-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...really believe this bunch can win 90 games??? :?:

Over how many seasons?

I say less than two!

hold2dibber
05-01-2003, 08:35 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that this team could (and SHOULD) win 90 games. The starting pitching has been really good and the bullpen is coming around. The offense has been horrible, but most of the hitters all have relatively successful track records so there is every reason to think they can perform at a higher level. The problem, as many have noted, is that this team plays with no passion or heart. It has been a characteristic of the Jerry Manual regime that when it counts, the team plays without passion or desire, but once it doesn't matter, they play like a team. It has happened too many times to just be a coincidence. And unlike others, I don't necessarily think it is all Manual's fault. These players deserve most of the blame. But as we all know, you can't fire all the players, so Jerry's got to go. They desparately need someone who gets the most out of his team (Jim Leyland, Davey Johnson, maybe Wally Backman). Manual doesn't do that.

34 Inch Stick
05-01-2003, 10:45 AM
I really thought so. Unfortunately what history REALLY tells us is that this is an 85 win team (been that way since All Star Break of 2000. Why should it change now).

I originally though 96 and now I am at 85...very depressing. At least I din't waste money on partial season tickets (although I have already gone to 4 games).

Hullett_Fan
05-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I really thought so. Unfortunately what history REALLY tells us is that this is an 85 win team (been that way since All Star Break of 2000. Why should it change now).

I originally though 96 and now I am at 85...very depressing. At least I din't waste money on partial season tickets (although I have already gone to 4 games).

Yup, this is an 83 to 88 win team...but as I said in another thread, that's enough to win this division (without question, the WORST division in baseball).

Unfortunately, I DID waste my money on partial season tickets. :angry: :whiner:

Procol Harum
05-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Seems highly doubtful. The ONLY real encouraging thing at this point is, strangely, that the Sox hitting is so God-awful. Konerko, Crede, Lee, and Daubach are performing well-beneath where one thinks they might should be and although we didn't expect a whole lot out of Rowand, he has been abysmal. Maybe the hitting will catch fire and we can start winning some slugfests. The only problem there is that the offense over the last two + years has been characterized by a notorious tendency toward feast-or-famine--we all know the dreaded spectre of "corpseball" which seems to rear its ugly head all too frequently.

I frankly don't know what to say about Frank--obviously he's hitting well below his career numbers, but not out of range of what he's done the last two years. I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that we may never see the Frank of 2000 again and that this is about as good as it gets--if we can get 25 hrs, 90-100 rbis and a .250 avg. from him it may well have to do.

If the relief pitching doesn't improve, we'll have a tough time keeping our heads above .500. Thank goodness for Esteban Loaiza.

Clarkdog
05-01-2003, 11:12 AM
I still believe this team can win 90 games because:
- In games they have won, the defense has been farily good, I think there has been improvement (albeit minor) there.
- While the offense (the strength of the team) has struggled, they manage to be over .500
- The starting pitching (outside of Garland) has kept them in games, if the offense were there we would be seeing a lot more wins

What will keep them from 90 wins:
- The offense will turn it around, but the lack of good situational hitting has been devoid of this team for the last three seasons. I put that on Ward.
- I am sick and tired on players not being able to move runners over when they need to. Bunting is a fundamental of the game, if you're being payed a huge salary to play professional baseball and you can't lay down a bunt when called upon- you shouldn't be in the major leagues.
- In addition, the Sox always play for the big inning, instead balancing that approach with trying to manufacture runs. That mindset needs to change. Loved the double steal against the Twins, let's see a little more of that aggressiveness.
- The bullpen needs to tighten up, they are not consistent enough to be a force to be reckoned with. The stuff is there, and how to use them correctly is obvious - Starter to Glover/White/Sanders to Marte/Wunsch/Gordon to Koch.
- This team has played with a lack of fire, passion, desire, hunger, and urgency missing since 2000. It needs to be found again. That is completely on Manuel.

Brian26
05-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Unfortunately, I DID waste my money on partial season tickets.

I don't think you're wasting your money. The Sox have played pretty competitive baseball so far, although they've lost some heartbreakers. They could easily be 6 or 7 wins better than they already are. You're supporting the franchise with your purchase, which is always a positive. As long as the team plays hard and competitively, I think there's still a ton of potential. I wouldn't equate how much fun you can have at the park with the amount of wins the Sox end up with. Even if they only have 85 or 86 wins and finish 2nd, it could be a fun, memorable year.

Hullett_Fan
05-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I don't think you're wasting your money. The Sox have played pretty competitive baseball so far, although they've lost some heartbreakers. They could easily be 6 or 7 wins better than they already are. You're supporting the franchise with your purchase, which is always a positive. As long as the team plays hard and competitively, I think there's still a ton of potential. I wouldn't equate how much fun you can have at the park with the amount of wins the Sox end up with. Even if they only have 85 or 86 wins and finish 2nd, it could be a fun, memorable year.

Thanks for the positive perspective. :cool:

I was half kidding. I've liked the performance of our starters and I always have a good time at the Cell and tailgating (the only bad night was the "umpire assault game"...too much trash in the crowd).

This offense has become a real bore though...it's frustrating. But I'll be there Friday! :gulp: