PDA

View Full Version : Is the world against the Sox?

balboner
04-30-2003, 09:50 PM
The Sox have gotten no breaks at all this year. Look at the following:
- Horrible call on a Crede homer being foul.
- Fog losing the game for the Sox tonight.
- Numerous poor calls by home plate and first base umps (Sweeney being ruled he didnt go around)
- Awful call on Rios at 3b

WhiteSoxWinner
04-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by balboner

I always say God is Sox fan, but then again, I also believe God has a sense of humor. I guess it is a pretty rough one.

HawkDJ
04-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Is the world against the Sox?

Yes.

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
I haven't been able to watch the game tonight...what has happened that's involved the fog? Missed fly balls?

Jjav829
04-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I haven't been able to watch the game tonight...what has happened that's involved the fog? Missed fly balls?

With a runner on first, Byrnes hit a fly ball that would normally have been an out. Maggs could not see it because of the fog and just threw his hands up. The ball fell and a run scored and Byrnes got a triple. Byrnes later scored after play resumed. Figure 2 runs right there that may never have scored.

A.T. Money
04-30-2003, 10:11 PM
The team is cursed.

FanOf14
04-30-2003, 10:12 PM
It really seems that way sometimes. I have to admit that I am not enjoying baseball anywhere near as much as I have in the past. I guess this "wait 'til next year" and watching the yankmes grab every bit of talent that is available is growing old. :(:

Just once I would love to see the Sox dominate for the year and then do something positive in the playoffs...

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
With a runner on first, Byrnes hit a fly ball that would normally have been an out. Maggs could not see it because of the fog and just threw his hands up. The ball fell and a run scored and Byrnes got a triple. Byrnes later scored after play resumed. Figure 2 runs right there that may never have scored.

also, buehrle didn't have it anymore after the delay so that may account for the other two runs. i feel like we're cursed right now.

MRKARNO
04-30-2003, 10:52 PM
The Sox have gotten no breaks at all this year.

what else is new?

Lip Man 1
04-30-2003, 11:05 PM
The question was asked "is the world against the Sox?"

Answer: No...but the baseball Gods are.

Take heart in only 16 more years the 1919 curse of the Black Sox will be lifted on the 100th anniversary and then things will be fine...(snicker, snicker)

Besides the Gods had to even the score after the "fog" game against the Rangers in 1977 that the Sox won when Texas simply couldn't see anything hit by the Sox that night.

What was REALLY bizarre though was that when the Rangers would come to bat the fog would lift. That happened through most of the game.

A final thought courtesy of Branch Rickey "Luck is the residuel of design..." Lip

TheBigHurt
04-30-2003, 11:07 PM
DON'T forgot the KC "fan" incident, where everyone thinks this represents Sox fans.....AT least in NY

BE GOOD

Dan Gelo
05-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Ever since 1919 when they sold out, the team has been cursed never to win it all ever again. At least I am convinced.

Bisco Stu
05-01-2003, 04:05 AM
We are the most cursed in bb history. The Flubs were cursed by some drunk who owned a bar and the Dead Sox are just victims of a greedy owner who thought he was a producer. We threw the friggin' World Series!

ShoelessFred
05-01-2003, 04:43 AM
has the world stopped

thomas
konerko
ordonez
lee
crede
olivo
rowand
daubach

from hitting?

how about

buehrle
colon
koch
marte
garland
gordon
white

from pitching well?

steff
05-01-2003, 08:24 AM
The fog lost us this game...?? ROTFLMAO!! That's a good one.

It had nothing to do with the lack of offense, the lazy defense, and the moron on the mound.

Nope.. not at all.

guillen4life13
05-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
The fog lost us this game...?? ROTFLMAO!! That's a good one.

It had nothing to do with the lack of offense, the lazy defense, and the moron on the mound.

Nope.. not at all.

Teal, friend.

steff
05-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Teal, friend.

No way.. I'm completely serious :o:

I wana be just like everyone else complaining... :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

:D:

Procol Harum
05-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
The team is cursed.

A pretty safe bet, I'd say, given the empirical data we have to go on for the last 85+ years.

Dan H
05-01-2003, 02:36 PM
The Sox have gotten no breaks at all this year. Look at the following:
- Horrible call on a Crede homer being foul.
- Numerous poor calls by home plate and first base umps (Sweeney being ruled he didnt go around)
- Awful call on Rios at 3b

There are bad calls for everyone during the course of a season. Secondly, when a team really establishes itself as a championship caliber club, that team tends to get more calls. The Sox have not done that yet.

Hard as it is to do, a team has to shrug off bad calls or breaks. If people dwell on the things that didn't go their way, it can only have a bad effect on their play.

The White Sox have time to turn 2003 around. But they won't do it if they begin looking at themselves as victims. And we fans shouldn't do it, either.

Foulke You
05-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I always say God is Sox fan, but then again, I also believe God has a sense of humor. I guess it is a pretty rough one.

26 World Series Championships say that God most certainly is a Yankees fan :(:

Hangar18
05-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Lets not Forget yet another Blown Call. Last nite, someone on the A's hits a grounder, nice pickup and throw to first appeared to have gotten him by 1/2 step. But no...he was called "SAFE".
everyone in the LF bleachers had a great view of that play, and we were livid. It was GOOD to See Manuel go and let them know that HEY, Maybe it was CLOSE< but they couldve GIVEN US THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT THERE. I believe the umps knew they MISSED THAT because Later, we had a guy totally thrown out at 1b on a similar PLAY, and they called him SAFE TOO. THATS THE FIRST ACKNOWLEDGEMENT BY THE UMPS (though Indirectly) that they KNow theyre MISSING TOO MANY against ONE TEAM>

FarmerAndy
05-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
The White Sox have time to turn 2003 around. But they won't do it if they begin looking at themselves as victims. And we fans shouldn't do it, either.

Well said, Dan.

The problem right now is that when there's a bump in the road, the Sox just seem to give up. After the ump blew the call on Crede's homer in Baltimore, it looked like the Sox just gave up. Same thing last night after Maggs lost that ball in the fog.

Yeah, it stinks when bad luck rolls your way. But do you just lay down and die, or do you fight back? It's a bummer that some things haven't gone our way, but we shouldn't be angry at the bad calls or the forces of nature, we should be angry at the White Sox inability to fight back.

I, for one, am not going to sit and whine about the world being against us. The White Sox success begins and ends with the abilities and attitudes of the 25 guys in uniform. Period.

voodoochile
05-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
There are bad calls for everyone during the course of a season. Secondly, when a team really establishes itself as a championship caliber club, that team tends to get more calls. The Sox have not done that yet.

Hard as it is to do, a team has to shrug off bad calls or breaks. If people dwell on the things that didn't go their way, it can only have a bad effect on their play.

You don't even have to be a championship caliber club, you just need to show heart and hustle. The Sox almost never do. There are two guys on the Sox who regularly take it all to heart (Valentin and Konerko). Most of the rest are just going through the motions. You don't get as many calls when that happens, period.

:firejerry

WhiteSoxWinner
05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
26 World Series Championships say that God most certainly is a Yankees fan :(:

Nah, the Yankees made a deal with the devil. :D:

Lip Man 1
05-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Calling Mr. Applegate..... report immediately to the Chicago area business is expected to be brisk!

Lip

Hangar18
05-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Farmer Andy/Voodoo, those are excellent Points. I do agree.
This Team needs More HEART and Emotion. Play like the worlds against you....because it really is. They are forgotten largely because of the little fuzzy blue bear. The media is a perfect example (I dont even want to talk about Mike Kileys article yesterday. he Crossed the line from Unbiased Reporter to Excitable Beyond Belief Cub Fan. That is the ultimate low blow in Journalism, when your called YELLOW.) THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GET THE MEDIA TO LIKE THEM. ITs Too Late, unless they wear that ugly blue hat, and those horrid blue shirts, they wont get the attention they deserve (not that the other team deserved the attention either 4 out 6 season nearly 100 loss seasons, yet were subjected to DustyVision on TV, Kerry Woods bartending exploits, and asking hallof fame pitchers what they think of the cubs pitching staff) The World Is Against Us. LEts use this to our Advantage and start playing Like a TEAM. Theres power in ONE man, but there is Real Power in 25 MEN.