PDA

View Full Version : If/When Jerry Manuel Goes....Who Replaces him?

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 01:47 PM
I sure hope its not Bruce Kimm. Id love for it be Leyland, but hes been out of baseball way too long and probably has no idea past Thomas and Ordonez, who is on the team. are there any Good Suggestions for Kenny here?

DC Sox Fan
04-30-2003, 01:53 PM
I know somebody else has suggested Pudge. Nothing would make me happier...

Foulke You
04-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
I know somebody else has suggested Pudge. Nothing would make me happier...

I'd love to see Pudge get the job but I don't see that happening since there is a rift with Reinsdorf. Although KW did play with Fisk in the late 80's...hmmmm...

I think Bruce Kimm would most likely get the job on an "interim" basis as he did on the North Side. If the Sox did good under him, then he would get the job. If not, they'd jettison him as the Cubs did.

CHISOXFAN13
04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Wally Backman.

bc2k
04-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I sure hope its not Bruce Kimm. Id love for it be Leyland, but hes been out of baseball way too long and probably has no idea past Thomas and Ordonez, who is on the team. are there any Good Suggestions for Kenny here?

I can't explain why, but I have this good feeling about Wally Backman dating back a year ago.

Another poster suggested Valentin as player/manager and I think that is genius.

npdempse
04-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Baines.

Stoky44
04-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Coach by committee from WSI members!
lol

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Heres a good question, I know someone here has an answer.
regarding Managerial Changes in the middle of a season, How many Times has it Turned the Season Around for that Particular
Team?

jortafan
04-30-2003, 05:06 PM
regarding Managerial Changes in the middle of a season, How many Times has it Turned the Season Around for that Particular
Team?

The 1978 Yankees let Billy Martin go in July, replaced him with Bob Lemon (who had just been fired by our very own White Sox), and went on to win the World Series.

I don't know of any other such cases, but that would be our dream come true.

npdempse
04-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Team?

Good question--

According to the Society for American Baseball Research, just nine teams have reached the postseason after changing managers in midstream since divisional play was instituted in 1969. Just four times in that span has a World Series participant changed managers during the same season. Just one team, the 1978 Yankees, has won it all under those circumstances.

from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/mike_berardino/news/2001/06/29/berardino_insider/

Let's make it ten.

dllrbll7
04-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Another poster suggested Valentin as player/manager and I think that is genius.

I like that idea and the Baines one. Fisk would be good but will never happen with our ownership, they all hate him. My dad met one of the partners and he just went on and on about how much they disliked Fisk

Daver
04-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I beleive Kenny Williams has already started preparing for life after JM,Nick Leyva has been a manager at some level of the Sox organization for a number of years,until this year,he is a roving instructor/director of talent for the minor league system now.

Leyva has in the past been a strong fundamental manager that works well with young players and has MLB managing experience,I find it strange that he is not managing now,unless there is an ultimate plan for him.

But then again I know nothing about baseball.

:)

valposoxfan
04-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Bobby Valentine????

ChiSoxBobette
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Jimmy Leyland, Wally Backman either one would be a step up from manuel.

Go White Sox!
:)

Nellie Comiskey
04-30-2003, 09:48 PM
Time is running out and the ax will fall if our sox continue to blow games. As Daver mentioned Leyva seems to be the appropriate choice on a short term basis. I do not believe they'll take Wally Backman....he would be a great fit and will be an excellent Major League manager when given the chance. He manages like he played...aggressive, emotional, has the respect of his players and gets every bit of talent/effort from them. If Wally was in their long-term plans they probably would have hired him as the 3rd base coach or 1st base coach last winter. Nick Capra is also a very good manager at Charlotte. One thing that Capra and Backman bring to the table is that they know the young players better than anyone(obviously having managed most of them and in their own right being relatively young for a manager-being able to relate). Whatever the appropriate answer is, I'm sure the wheels are in motion getting prepared. :?:

Viva Magglio
04-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Neither Carlton Fisk nor Harold Baines should replace Jerry Manuel. Neither one of them has any coaching experience whatsoever, and people who want them to manage the Sox sound like Bears fans who think any player from the '85 team could coach the Bears straight to the Super Bowl.

Bruce Kimm would most likely replace Manuel in the immediate interim. As for a permanent replacement, I want an experienced manager. I am not sure whom I would pick. Bobby Valentine is too feisty (not DJ) for my tastes. Jim Leyland has been away from the game too long and would give the entire Sox clubhouse lung cancer - literally. Tom Kelly is too sleepy. I guess between the three of them, Leyland would be the best choice (not our beloved Choice)

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Third base coaches get promototed to manager all the time. In fact, that's what happened to Gene Lamont and Jimmy Leyland. So why hasn't anyone brought up Ozzie Guillen? We know he can be fiery, and he obviously already has ties to the franchise. Unlike Fisk and Baines, Ozzie has spent the last three years as a third base coach with the Expos and Marlins.

If not Ozzie, I think we should bring back Torborg. I don't care what we have to pay him, just bring him back. That way his buddy, Ozzie, can come with him and be the Sox future manager.

WTH, bring back Sammy Ellis and Walt Hrniak while we are at it. Nobody overachieved like the 1990 White Sox. Ellis was probably the best pitching coach in baseball in the early 90s. First he made chicken salad out of chicken [expletive] with the Sox. Then he went to Seattle and made Randy Johnson a Cy Young award winner instead of a guy who threw 103 with no control. (Is Sammy Ellis still alive? I know he was pretty old, and if not that would disqualify him.)

VeeckAsInWreck
05-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Normally, I don't like to blame managers for a team's shortcomings. However, it looks like the Sox are not focused or motivated out there. They need someone to give them a good kick in the rear. Maybe, Wally Backman will be the guy to do it.
There is still plenty of season to go fellas, the 1983 squad started out slowly too, let's hope history repeats itself 20 years later.

voodoochile
05-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Is Sammy Ellis still alive?... if not that would disqualify him.

Hasn't seemed to stop Manuel...