PDA

View Full Version : General problems

Jerko
04-30-2003, 12:08 PM
This team can have all the talent it wants, but until the following problems are addressed, forget about the playoffs.

1. Baserunning, or lack of it.

2. Hitting into double plays every time it's possible. Maybe if a few runners were in motion on the pitch, they could avoid that, Jer.

3. Bunting at the worst possible time every time. You don't have to bunt with the leadoff man on second and nobody out! Stop that!

4. Not bunting (or not being able to bunt) when you should

5. Taking out pitchers who are pitching gems because of pitch counts

6. Taking out relievers who are mowing people down just because of left/right matchup.

7. Bringing in 3 relief pitchers in one inning just becuase the left right left quandry. YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE 7 PITCHERS IN A 4-3 GAME!

8. Bringing in the same pitchers in the same order for the same situation every day. It's been 3 years Jer, it's not working! Figure it out.

9. Manuel. The worst thing that ever happened to this organization was this idiot winning manager of the year in 2000 when we saw first hand he was out of his class vs. Piniella.

voodoochile
04-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
This team can have all the talent it wants, but until the following problems are addressed, forget about the playoffs.

1. Baserunning, or lack of it.

2. Hitting into double plays every time it's possible. Maybe if a few runners were in motion on the pitch, they could avoid that, Jer.

3. Bunting at the worst possible time every time. You don't have to bunt with the leadoff man on second and nobody out! Stop that!

4. Not bunting (or not being able to bunt) when you should

5. Taking out pitchers who are pitching gems because of pitch counts

6. Taking out relievers who are mowing people down just because of left/right matchup.

7. Bringing in 3 relief pitchers in one inning just becuase the left right left quandry. YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE 7 PITCHERS IN A 4-3 GAME!

8. Bringing in the same pitchers in the same order for the same situation every day. It's been 3 years Jer, it's not working! Figure it out.

9. Manuel. The worst thing that ever happened to this organization was this idiot winning manager of the year in 2000 when we saw first hand he was out of his class vs. Piniella.

Welcome aboard! :)

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey Jerko, Im totally laughing at my desk at your points here,
Your Totally Right about all of them. Hope hes reading this....

faneidde
04-30-2003, 12:24 PM

Not having the slowest team in baseball might also help avoid the DP.

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by faneidde

this worried me in spring training. No speed at all in this lineup.
I didnt like Ray Durham as a leadoff hitter, more as a #2.
Man do we miss his Speed. Good Teams have Speed at the Top and Bottom of the order.

kermittheefrog
04-30-2003, 12:43 PM
I think the Sox problems really come down to the offense not getting hits. Stealing more bases and bunting isn't going to put a ton more runs on the board. The offense just needs to get it in gear. You can only wait for guys like Konerko and Crede to find their stroke. Rowand is really the only guy in the lineup we might be able to replace with a better option although Borchard isn't really hitting in AAA. The other option is send out Daubach more often if you think he'll find his stroke faster than Konerko will find his.

Jerry really has his hands tied with the offense.

I don't really have any complaints about the pitching other than we don't have Keith Foulke anymore.

moochpuppy
04-30-2003, 12:48 PM
General problems

For a minute I thought someone got promoted in the Sox Army.

:army

pudge
04-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the Sox problems really come down to the offense not getting hits. Stealing more bases and bunting isn't going to put a ton more runs on the board. The offense just needs to get it in gear. You can only wait for guys like Konerko and Crede to find their stroke. Rowand is really the only guy in the lineup we might be able to replace with a better option although Borchard isn't really hitting in AAA. The other option is send out Daubach more often if you think he'll find his stroke faster than Konerko will find his.

Jerry really has his hands tied with the offense.

I don't really have any complaints about the pitching other than we don't have Keith Foulke anymore.

Kermit, I respect your opinions, but I can't stand this line of thinking. Baseball is a game where hitters go hot and cold, which is why teams who rely solely on big bats go nowhere. True, bunting and stealing don't result in a TON of runs, but it could result in the one run that wins a close game. That's how you pile up enough wins in a 162 game season to reach the play-offs, and how you win tight play-off games. Jerry is just an uninspiring manager. Our overall team strategy of sitting back and waiting for people to get hot is so damn frustrating.

trimbo
04-30-2003, 01:13 PM
In the immortal words of Earl Weaver, "Team speed?? For Chrissake... and get f---- g--dam little fleas on the bases gettin picked off, tryin to steal, gettin' thrown out and takin runs away from you. Get them big c-----ers who can hit f----- ball out of the ballpark and you can't make any g--dam mistakes"

Let's start by improving at the plate.

pudge
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by trimbo
In the immortal words of Earl Weaver, "Team speed?? For Chrissake... and get f---- g--dam little fleas on the bases gettin picked off, tryin to steal, gettin' thrown out and takin runs away from you. Get them big c-----ers who can hit f----- ball out of the ballpark and you can't make any g--dam mistakes"

Let's start by improving at the plate.

Maybe that's why Weaver only won one World Series despite having the best record in the league seven times. There aren't as many three-run homers in October.

kermittheefrog
04-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Kermit, I respect your opinions, but I can't stand this line of thinking. Baseball is a game where hitters go hot and cold, which is why teams who rely solely on big bats go nowhere. True, bunting and stealing don't result in a TON of runs, but it could result in the one run that wins a close game. That's how you pile up enough wins in a 162 game season to reach the play-offs, and how you win tight play-off games. Jerry is just an uninspiring manager. Our overall team strategy of sitting back and waiting for people to get hot is so damn frustrating.

The Sox were second in the league in bunts last year and first in 2001. Didn't get them very far. Earl Weaver had it right waiting for a couple baserunners and a three run homer. More successful teams like the Yankees and A's have shied away from the bunt. It gives away an out. Outs are too valuable to do that.

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The Sox were second in the league in bunts last year and first in 2001. Didn't get them very far. Earl Weaver had it right waiting for a couple baserunners and a three run homer. More successful teams like the Yankees and A's have shied away from the bunt. It gives away an out. Outs are too valuable to do that.

at first, I also didnt agree with Kermit, but this is a good point also. Guess the thing to do would be to be Selective wth the bunts.

StepsInSC
04-30-2003, 02:03 PM
We can pretty much summarize by saying that this team just has too many holes, IMO. I'm definitely not one to argue pro team harmony, but they just don't seem to be meshing. I don't think that will change I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.

moochpuppy
04-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Maybe that's why Weaver only won one World Series despite having the best record in the league seven times. There aren't as many three-run homers in October.

The point is he got there.

Jerko
05-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by faneidde

Faneidde, I respect the fact that this is the slowest team in recent memory. HOWEVER, the manager of the team for his sixth season now SHOULD KNOW they are slow and at least try to start some runners on the pitch every now and then to avoid hitting into 30 double plays a week. It's funny, they can send Jimenez from 3rd on a 150 foot popout to Ichiro who threw him out by 15 feet, but they can't start him or Valentin on the pitch once in a while to avoid double plays?

Hangar18
05-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Faneidde, I respect the fact that this is the slowest team in recent memory. HOWEVER, the manager of the team for his sixth season now SHOULD KNOW they are slow and at least try to start some runners on the pitch every now and then to avoid hitting into 30 double plays a week. It's funny, they can send Jimenez from 3rd on a 150 foot popout to Ichiro who threw him out by 15 feet, but they can't start him or Valentin on the pitch once in a while to avoid double plays?

Heh heh heheh