PDA

View Full Version : How much longer does Kenny Williams give Jerry Manuel?


Viva Magglio
04-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Last night's loss really was not JM's fault, at least not directly. Another thread already addressed the Brian Daubach issue. Some of us have fired Jerry Manuel already, at least 30 times. But when, really, should Kenny Williams make that move? I honestly think if we got swept by the Twins, the media and fan pressure to fire Manuel would have forced the issue this past Monday.

I have a feeling that the move will be made within a month if we keep playing .500 corpseball. What I think will happen is that Bruce Kimm will be named the interim manager until KW hires someone outside the organization. I don't see Kimm managing the rest of the season unless he does an outstanding job out of the gate.

Knowing how KW is, you know that he would replace the Ron Schueler-hired Manuel with a mentally more aggressive manager. While Bobby Valentine would fit that profile for sure, I fear his personality would eventually be counterproductive. I am also not sure about Jim Leyland. He does not seem to be intersted in managing anymore, and it showed when he was with the Rockies. Who do you think would be a good replacement for Manuel.

gosox41
04-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Last night's loss really was not JM's fault, at least not directly. Another thread already addressed the Brian Daubach issue. Some of us have fired Jerry Manuel already, at least 30 times. But when, really, should Kenny Williams make that move? I honestly think if we got swept by the Twins, the media and fan pressure to fire Manuel would have forced the issue this past Monday.

I have a feeling that the move will be made within a month if we keep playing .500 corpseball. What I think will happen is that Bruce Kimm will be named the interim manager until KW hires someone outside the organization. I don't see Kimm managing the rest of the season unless he does an outstanding job out of the gate.

Knowing how KW is, you know that he would replace the Ron Schueler-hired Manuel with a mentally more aggressive manager. While Bobby Valentine would fit that profile for sure, I fear his personality would eventually be counterproductive. I am also not sure about Jim Leyland. He does not seem to be intersted in managing anymore, and it showed when he was with the Rockies. Who do you think would be a good replacement for Manuel.


Jerry should be fired if the Sox get swept by the A's.
Wally Backman should replace him unless Leyland gains some heart and wants to come back and manage.

As my own personal darkhorse candidate, I'd love to see Carlton Fisk be the manager. He wouldn't stand for the lack of intensity in the team and inconsistency if the hitters and Garland.

Bob

Viva Magglio
04-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
As my own personal darkhorse candidate, I'd love to see Carlton Fisk be the manager. He wouldn't stand for the lack of intensity in the team and inconsistency if the hitters and Garland.

Bob

As much as I like Pudge, I want Manuel's successor to be an experienced major league manager.

Hangar18
04-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by gosox41


As my own personal darkhorse candidate, I'd love to see Carlton Fisk be the manager. He wouldn't stand for the lack of intensity in the team and inconsistency if the hitters and Garland.

Bob

I would love to see Leyland manage the sox, we shouldnt have let him leave the organization. I think he'd have a new FIRE under him to take a team with Real Talent Here. Just Connect the Dots and give em hell. Though Fisk would be Very Interesting. Hopefully they let him run the team, and heck yeah, He Wouldnt stand for the Sleeping on the Field. Leave that to the Fans on Sleepover Nite.

Jerry_Manuel
04-30-2003, 06:19 PM
When the season is to late to be saved, they'll fire him.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Perhaps a better question might be how much longer does Uncle Jerry give Kenny Williams.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
05-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Ward should go first, immediately.

Jerry goes the moment we dip below .500 this season. It looks like that will be occuring sometime in the next two weeks.

Kenny, well he has at least one more manager before he gets demoted. Like Krause, Jerry will never fire Williams.

Hullett_Fan
05-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Ward should go first, immediately.

Jerry goes the moment we dip below .500 this season. It looks like that will be occuring sometime in the next two weeks.

Kenny, well he has at least one more manager before he gets demoted. Like Krause, Jerry will never fire Williams.


Took the words right out of my mouth...

Ward...outta here ASAP.

Manuel...if this team in around .500 (or worse) at end of May he will be canned.

Kenny...he'll have this year, and probably next to get a division title. Otherwise, he'll be back in his old jod. But, I doubt he'd take the demotion because of the damage it would do to his enormous ego.

MHOUSE
05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Jerry goes on Monday if we drop below .500 after this OAK/SEA double home series. Big test and if we fail he should be gone. Bobby Valentine!

white sox bill
05-01-2003, 10:14 AM
The Sox are historically slow in making managerial changes. If and when they do can Jerry or Kenny, it will be too late to salvage this season. I predict a .500 season, (give or take 5 games), and very similair to last yr, we will catch fire the last 6 weeks, giving evreyone false hopes for '04, (not to mention we only get hot when we are out of contention against teams who have thier AAA players in there too) and thusly making KW and JR think that no changes are needed for the coming season.

Pretty soon I'll be looking forword to football and hockey season!
Bill

gosox41
05-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
As much as I like Pudge, I want Manuel's successor to be an experienced major league manager.

IMHO, the Sox biggest problem appears to be a lack of intensity. fisk would certianly fire the troops up. Also, I don't see Jerry hiring an experienced ML manager. When was the last time he did that? Torborg?

Bob

soxnut
05-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Is Chuck Tanner still alive???? :?: :D:

soxnut
05-01-2003, 10:42 AM
I think Fisk would be a great choice. Experience-wise he doesn't have it, but I don't think he needs it. He was a catcher for over 20 years(basically a field genera), he knows what's going on out there. He knows the game and how it should be played. He wouldn't be as expensive as a high-profiler, and he'd be a great marketing tool for the Sox.

But if those dreams don't come true..Wally Backman or Ozzie Guillen would be cool. If they're looking for a major league experienced guy, and they want to go for it this year....I'd take Bobby Valentine.

jeremyb1
05-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Last night's loss really was not JM's fault, at least not directly. Another thread already addressed the Brian Daubach issue. Some of us have fired Jerry Manuel already, at least 30 times. But when, really, should Kenny Williams make that move? I honestly think if we got swept by the Twins, the media and fan pressure to fire Manuel would have forced the issue this past Monday.

I have a feeling that the move will be made within a month if we keep playing .500 corpseball. What I think will happen is that Bruce Kimm will be named the interim manager until KW hires someone outside the organization. I don't see Kimm managing the rest of the season unless he does an outstanding job out of the gate.

Knowing how KW is, you know that he would replace the Ron Schueler-hired Manuel with a mentally more aggressive manager. While Bobby Valentine would fit that profile for sure, I fear his personality would eventually be counterproductive. I am also not sure about Jim Leyland. He does not seem to be intersted in managing anymore, and it showed when he was with the Rockies. Who do you think would be a good replacement for Manuel.

i don't think i could stand to be a fan of this team with kim as manager. hopefully if kw makes a change he realizes that that's not kim's strongsuit and puts in backman or leyva.