PDA

View Full Version : fans boo foulke?

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 01:29 AM
i started a thread about this before but it must've been moved or deleted. regardless, what's the deal with booing foulke? i feel like that's completely uncalled for. he gave his all for this team for a number of years and the only thing he ever did to upset the fans was have a stretch no worse than our new savior koch has had in his first month here.

baggio202
04-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i started a thread about this before but it must've been moved or deleted. regardless, what's the deal with booing foulke? i feel like that's completely uncalled for. he gave his all for this team for a number of years and the only thing he ever did to upset the fans was have a stretch no worse than our new savior koch has had in his first month here.

i hope that didnt happen...thats really classless...foulke accomplished alot while he was here and always gave it his all...he deserved better

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
i hope that didnt happen...thats really classless...foulke accomplished alot while he was here and always gave it his all...he deserved better

unfortunately it does appear to be so according to the trib

Foulke, after entering to boos, earned his seventh save with a 1-2-3 ninth.

"I didn't expect to run in and have them cheer for me," Foulke said. "I was trying to stay relaxed and calm and not overthrow."

steff
04-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Well.. we were there and there was no booing that we heard.

Konerkoholic
04-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Hopefully the boos were scattered. Don't believe anything the Trib says.

Those who were booing don't understand that Foulke was traded. He has a job to do now and that is to get the Sox hitters out. Seems like every closer's been doing their job in that department. :(:

harwar
04-30-2003, 09:36 AM
I liked Foulke last year and i still like him.I would have kept him as a setup gut not realizing that he was going to be one of the best closers in all of baseball this year.Thats something that we don't have.

gosox41
04-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

I'd boo Kenny Williams before I'd boo Koch or Foulke. It's clearly obvious who the superior pitcher has been the last few years. Add that to the fact that a genius like Bean wanted to dump Koch, KW's history of making bad trades (outside of Colon), and the fact that power pitching relievers that are overworked tend to get burned out quicker make it obvious who's fault this all is.

Billy Koch=Bobby Thigpen.

Bob

trimbo
04-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Hopefully the boos were scattered. Don't believe anything the Trib says.

Listening to A's radio broadcast last night here in Oakland, Bill King pointed out that he was being booed. Bill's a pretty fair broadcaster, so it must have been pretty blatent.

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by trimbo
Listening to A's radio broadcast last night here in Oakland, Bill King pointed out that he was being booed. Bill's a pretty fair broadcaster, so it must have been pretty blatent.

well foulke seemed to acknowledge it in the interview also. i was listening to the broadcast on the radio and i heard a chorus of boos as they were cutting away to commercial after the top of the 9th. that can only be in reference to foulke.

DrCrawdad
04-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Well I don't have a problem with booing Foulke, if that is in fact what happened.

It's true Foulke did a lot of good things while with the Sox. But now Foulke is with another team and that team is playing against the Sox. In addition, Foulke rightly or wrongly took some shots at the Sox. No big surprise to me then that Foulke was booed.

I listen to ESPN's Afternoon Thunder hosted by Sox fan Dan McNeil and two Cubbie fans, Harry Teinowitz and John Jerkowitz. No doubt the two Cubbie fans, especially Jerkowitz, will put-down Sox fans for booing Foulke.

Question for any Cub fans who might put-down Sox fans for booing Foulke, when Tom Gordon trots out to pitch at Wrigley, with the Sox in the lead, do you think Cub fans will cheer Gordon or boo Gordon? (Insert joke, "we'll cheer because Gordon IS coming in...")

Foulke You
04-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I fully expected Foulke to get booed. Chicago fans tend to do this to former players who come back with other teams. It happens all the time to former Blackhawk players that come back. Even former Hawks Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, and Tony Amonte get booed now in the UC. They fully expected it too. In fact, Amonte and Chelios referred to it as a "sign of respect" from Chicago fans. They let you know that they are thinking about you. Unless they were well known players like Harold Baines, Robin Ventura, etc. they will get booed in Chicago more often than not. It just comes with the territory I think. Even church going Chris Singleton got his share of boos last night. I'm sure all of the drinking that was done in the concourses during the 90 minute rain delay fueled the hatred. Personally, I would have cheered for Foulkey since he was one of my favorites but if it gets into the opposing teams head and gives our Sox the home field advantage than I am not too opposed to it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-30-2003, 02:07 PM
heh, i was hearing a "you suck" chant when chris singleton was at bat, i'd boo him but I wouldn't boo Foulke since I really liked the guy. I remember when Ventura played his first game at comiskey last year not as a white sox, they had a really nice video tribute and the fans cheered when they played it, but when he came to bat he wasn't cheered

Stoky44
04-30-2003, 02:38 PM
I sure hope he wasn't booed. Keith is stand up guy and a hell of a pitcher.

steff
04-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
heh, i was hearing a "you suck" chant when chris singleton was at bat, i'd boo him but I wouldn't boo Foulke since I really liked the guy. I remember when Ventura played his first game at comiskey last year not as a white sox, they had a really nice video tribute and the fans cheered when they played it, but when he came to bat he wasn't cheered

Robin most certianly was cheered. Standing O at his last at bat, too.

LuvSox
04-30-2003, 04:56 PM
heh, i was hearing a "you suck" chant when chris singleton was at bat, i'd boo him but I wouldn't boo Foulke since I really liked the guy.

How can anyone 'boo' Singleton? He was traded. He's also a super nice guy.

CLR01
04-30-2003, 05:30 PM
heh, i was hearing a "you suck" chant when chris singleton was at bat.

Who was saying that, if they post here they will be banned. Singleton is GOD.

:flameswing