PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Sox/A's 4/29 game thread

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Aaron Rowand just cost the Sox a run, with his awful play of Singleton's hit...which might have even been held to a single, if Rowand plays the carom off the way halfway decently, which he didn't. Instead, Singleton gets a triple and then scores on the sac fly.

I have this sneaking feeling that that one run will come in awfully handy later in the game...

spanishwhite
04-29-2003, 09:55 PM
I dont want to complain b/c he has been a solid
starter and eats alot of innings, but...

can he ever have a dominant outing or at least
outduel some of the other elite pitchers.

It always seems like he is only as good as the other
pitcher if that and never keeps the opponents
1 run or under.

I dont know, its 2-2 and Im edgy.

balboner
04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Why isnt Colon throwing curves to Byrnes and Singleton? He's been piping fastballs all day to them.

sox_fan_forever
04-29-2003, 10:23 PM
I very strongly dislike Aaron Rowand.

Just had to get that out.

Randar68
04-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Why isnt Colon throwing curves to Byrnes and Singleton? He's been piping fastballs all day to them.

Maybe he was reading this board and read "Slow-swingleton" over and over. Chris can't hit an inside fastball or an outside offspeed pitch. So far, all he's thrown him is fastballs out over the plate.

spanishwhite
04-29-2003, 10:26 PM
For the love of dios, let him go for the win!

Throw out the pitch count, he can at least go
through the eighth.

If he struggles, then pull him, if not let him pitch.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
It would be great if we could win this game off of Keith Foulke. Not only would we have won, but some of the Koch haters would be quiet.

koch44
04-29-2003, 10:43 PM
How come we always hit line drives right to where players are standing? :angry: :angry: :angry:

valposoxfan
04-29-2003, 10:43 PM
I can't take anymore of having men in scoring position with no outs and not being able to drive the run in. I'm sick to my stomach.

spanishwhite
04-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Might as well let him have the CG loss :angry:

Damn offense :angry: :angry:

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Might as well let him have the CG loss :angry:

Damn offense :angry: :angry:

Nah...its time to f up Foulke.

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2003, 10:53 PM
IMO, the game should be 2-2 at worst and possibly even 2-1 Sox. Rowand definitely cost the Sox a run with his horrible fielding of Singleton's "triple," and his dubious throw to the plate that scored the A's third run might have prevented it had he had any sort of arm strength and accuracy on the toss.

But yeah, the "O" just isn't there tonight, yet again. Even Maggs looks not-good. I thought we had our chances with Jose on 2nd with no out, but the A's corner guys nabbed 2 smoked liners, so so far, no luck for the Sox...

Keith up in the 9th. Man it'd be fun to see him blow this one.

jeremyb1
04-29-2003, 10:54 PM
as espn radio cut away to commercials at the end of the top of the 9th it sounded like the fans were booing. presumably they were booing foulke. i hope i somehow misheard or the fans were booing something or someone else because if the fans did boo foulke i think that's absolutely classless. we're talking about a guy who was one of the best closers in baseball for us the last few years and he gave his all to this club.

SpringfldFan
04-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Dang. Foulke. That will just make my night freakin beautiful :angry:

spanishwhite
04-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Come on O!

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Konerko should have pounded at least 2 or 3 of Foulke's pitches out of the f*#ing park. What a waste.

And Crede looks like garbage, too. Not good...

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2003, 11:00 PM
We don't have a better pinch-hitter tonight than Daubach? He's hitting .077, for chrissake.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Nah...its time to f up Foulke.

or not.

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, lame effort tonight. Shoulda won that one, I think.

In the grand scheme of things, it's just one game. But with KC losing and Colon pitching fairly well, the Sox should've stuffed this one in their pocket and walked away with it....

TheBigHurt
04-29-2003, 11:04 PM
FOULKE the A's!!!!!!!

Blueprint1
04-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Blame Rowand all you want because you don't like him. he did cost us a run but i count 5 hits tonight, 2 Konerko, 1 Tony, 1 Jose, 1 Rowand. No Thomas, Maggs, Lee yes thats right #345 Paulie was the 6th hitter tonight

bc2k
04-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
IMO, the game should be 2-2 at worst and possibly even 2-1 Sox. Rowand definitely cost the Sox a run with his horrible fielding of Singleton's "triple," and his dubious throw to the plate that scored the A's third run might have prevented it had he had any sort of arm strength and accuracy on the toss.

Dubious throw to the plate? That was a strong throw, a little up the line, but there was nothing more Rowand could have done on that one. He did cost us a run with his play off the wall though.

Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Konerko should have pounded at least 2 or 3 of Foulke's pitches out of the f*#ing park. What a waste.

Yeah, Konerko was under a few of those cookies and I was waiting for him to make the adjustment during that at bat. He did not, and wound up popping the ball up.

As I posted in the shout box, how come Frank refuses to work a count in the late innings? Because he's scared and feels if he makes an out on the first pitch, some fans might miss his quick at bat, thus not blaming him for his piss-poor clutch hitting.

Bartolo pitched one heck of a game. If Rowand plays that ball differently and Frank moves Valentin over to third, we probably would have won.

Viva Magglio
04-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I don't know about you, but I would not be sending up a guy with a .077 batting average with 2 out and down by a run in the 9th.

Konerkoholic
04-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Simply no luck in this game. The pitches Byrnes and Singleton hit were real tough pitches, and then the Sox hit two sharp liners for outs. Can't we ever get a break?

Someone needs to teach Konerko to hit again. :angry:

Lip Man 1
04-29-2003, 11:23 PM
The Sox by the way are now 2-4 in one run games.

Someone also mentioned about hitting line drives right at guys.....that's what happens when you have good advance scouting reports on Sox hitters and the opposition pitchers throw to areas so that when Sox hitters make contact it goes right to where the defense is playing.

That also can be an indictment of the Sox inability or unwillingness to try different approaches when hitting or trying to go the "other way."

As far as Rowand the less said about him the better (but he does work cheap!)

Lip

delben91
04-29-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm frustrated about tonight's game like the rest of you.

However, I think it should be noted we faced last year's Cy Young winner tonight. A weak showing by the offense is explainable, if not agreeable.

That said, someone in the 3-4-5 slots should've done something.

South Sider
04-30-2003, 12:10 AM
No more excuses please.

Yes Zito won the Cy Young last year.
But the Sox couldn't hit against average pitchers either.

If we still had Parque, Baldwin, Navarro, Sirotka ,Snyder or K.Wells in our rotation, we probably would be 6-18 right now !

We just have to realize that the Sox are not more then an
average team at best. Thank god that we have some good starters who keep us in the game and bench the bullpen for most of the time. Otherwise we would've been blownout in more games

Only the good teams have luck and find a way to win those close ones.

I believe it will be a very long season for the Sox and in the end we can be proud to finish yet another season in 2nd place in the weakest division of the Majors. Anywhere else we would be in last place !!!!

So go ahead and plan for 2004 with a new manager

By the way

1-8 when trailing after 7 innings
0-9 when trailing after 8 innings

The kids can't hit

Division champions in 1983, 1993 and in 2003 again ?????

I think not :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Konerkoholic
04-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Relax. You have to play six months of winning baseball to win the division. You think the bastards up in Minnesota are panicking? Maybe, but probably not. A lot of good teams are off to average starts like the Sox. Tonight they lost a pitcher's duel and tomorrow they may win one. I wouldn't get too down with this loss, although it was a winnable game.....

MHOUSE
04-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Rowand had to throw across his body moving from left to right and had little chance of gunning down the guy at the plate. At least he got Singleton in a pickle with it. He's the best CF we have and he was 1-2 with an RBI tonight. Stop complaining. Colon and the defense held the As to 3 runs. The offense needs to pick them up!

Blueprint1
04-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Yep you cant blame Rowand or Konerko because the sox lost this game. they had 3 of the five hits. It seems like they are this years Clayton.

voodoochile
04-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Yep you cant blame Rowand or Konerko because the sox lost this game. they had 3 of the five hits. It seems like they are this years Clayton.

Was that your way of defending them?

I have to agree that Rowand was one of the bright spots at the plate - though he didn't make a good play on Singleton's triple. Still, it isn't like Rowand has been having a great season and suddenly had an off night and got ripped for it. He has had a terrible season and thus everything he does wrong gets magnified. In that respect, I guess he IS like Clayton...