PDA

View Full Version : Random stat...

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Sox record vs. teams better than .500 - 22-44

Sox record vs. teams worse than .500 - 38-16

It's weird, it's like the Sox are an exactly average team in just about every way. We beat up on the bad teams, but get clobbered by the good ones. We have won about 3 series against teams above .500 (and that includes beating the Cubs twice).

The Sox have 20 games left against sub-.500 teams, and 22 games left against teams over .500. If trends hold, the Sox will finish at 80-82. We'll see...

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Sox record vs. teams better than .500 - 22-44

Sox record vs. teams worse than .500 - 38-16

It's weird, it's like the Sox are an exactly average team in just about every way. We beat up on the bad teams, but get clobbered by the good ones. We have won about 3 series against teams above .500 (and that includes beating the Cubs twice).

The Sox have 20 games left against sub-.500 teams, and 22 games left against teams over .500. If trends hold, the Sox will finish at 80-82. We'll see...

Yup, that's about as average as you get.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Hey, at least the 'Stros won today... For at least a few blessed hours, the Cubs are in second place. Sweet...

Jerry_Manuel
08-18-2001, 03:07 PM
Hey, at least the 'Stros won today... For at least a few blessed hours, the Cubs are in second place. Sweet...

The Cubs have to face the Big Unit tonight and he has NEVER lost to the Cubs. And with their offense nothing will change. So the Astros will be a game up after tonight.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 03:12 PM
In a way, it's almost better to have the Cubs do well in April and May, only to watch them fall flat on their face in August. The Cards and 'Stros are finally showing the Cubs that yes, there are real baseball teams in the national league central, and no, they aren't the Cubs.

I can't tell you how happy I am now that the Cubs are starting to flounder. I thought I was going to have to kill myself if the Cubs did the unthinkable...

voodoochile
08-18-2001, 03:40 PM
In a way, it's almost better to have the Cubs do well in April and May, only to watch them fall flat on their face in August. The Cards and 'Stros are finally showing the Cubs that yes, there are real baseball teams in the national league central, and no, they aren't the Cubs.

I can't tell you how happy I am now that the Cubs are starting to flounder. I thought I was going to have to kill myself if the Cubs did the unthinkable...

I see, it isn't enough that the flubbies stink, they must inflict massive quantities of pain on their fans too... You're a sick man, and I like it...

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 03:54 PM
I love it when Cub fans are destroyed beyond recognition... People out here (San Francisco) don't understand my obession with following the NL central standings. They say, "but aren't you a Sox fan? Why do you care what the Cubs do?

Most of the time I don't have time to go over a hundred years of the history of Chicago baseball to explain it. The Mets-Yankees? they've only shared a city for 40 years. A's-Giants? less than that. Angels-Dodgers? Please. No rivalry anywhere, between any two teams, matches that of the Sox and Cubs. Red Sox-Yankees is the only one even close.

The only fly in my ointment that most Cub fans are too stupid to realize when their team has betrayed them... how many of them still celebrate 1969, as if blowing a huge August lead was a good thing?

FarWestChicago
08-18-2001, 04:02 PM
I love it when Cub fans are destroyed beyond recognition... People out here (San Francisco) don't understand my obession with following the NL central standings. They say, "but aren't you a Sox fan? Why do you care what the Cubs do?

People out here definitely don't get it. The A's-Giants rivalry is all but non-existant. Plus, the A's aren't regularly savaged by the media like the Sox are in Chicago.

czalgosz
08-18-2001, 04:05 PM
No, when the A's can't draw a crowd, they're a scrappy, small-market team winning despite having the chips stacked against them. When the Sox can't draw a crowd, they're an evil organization with a corrupt owner that has no fans and can't sell tickets even with a winning team.

All my friends just shake their heads when I cackle with glee over the morning paper - "Didn't the Sox lose?" "Yeah, but so did the Cubs!!!"