PDA

View Full Version : White Sox All-Time All-Star Team?

jabrch
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
OK, lets do it....

C - Fisk, but you can argue Sherm Lollar
1B - Thomas/Baines
2B- Nellie Fox, but Eddie Collins is a close 2nd
3B- Melton?
SS- Appling
LF Minoso
RF Mags - I'd get crucified if I took Chat Lemon as my third OF
CF Joe Jackson

DH - Luzinski

SP Buehrle - for today
SP Ed Walsh
SP Lamarr Hoyt - Hoyt and Salome Barojas could really party!
SP Billy Pierce
SP Wilbur Wood
SP Ted Lyons
SP Jack McDowell - for my youth
Closer - Thigpen

Manager Lopez, but I would probably take Tony LaRussa over him

How'd I do?

I have 7 SPs...Tried to take 1-2 from each ERA (pre-1940, 40 - 70, 70 - 90, 90 - today) I wanted to put Eddie Collins over Nellie Fox, but my grandfather would kill me. I also would rather have LaRussa than Lopez, but having never so Lopez play, I have to go on reputation.

jabrch
04-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Baines was supposed to platoon with Luzinsky at DH. Frank is starting alone at 1B. (I hope he can play 162 games in the field...)

jabrch
04-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Say Ozzie Guillen, I will check their drivers liscence to see if they are over 21. If they are over 21, they get sent to an insane assylum. If they are under 21, they get sent to their room w/o any fruitcup.

Blueprint1
04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
I put ventura at 3rd base.

Brian26
04-29-2003, 01:18 PM
No offense, bro, but didn't the Sox hold an All-Century Team contest a few years ago regarding this very subject. I don't recall all the winners, but I believe it's on their website and in their media guide.

I believe the voting was pretty solid and fair to everyone. I think Appling beat Little Luis at SS, and Fisk was definitely the catcher. Pretty sure Melton beat out Ventura at 3b. Hoyt and McDowell were nowhere to be found.

Check it out sometime, it's interesting.

Daver
04-29-2003, 01:46 PM
We put this together a few years ago.

All time Team. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxGreats.htm)

WinningUgly!
04-29-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
We put this together a few years ago.

All time Team. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxGreats.htm)

I'd like to nominate Maggs for "Sox Fans' Hall of Famers" for the 00's.

Jjav829
04-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'd like to nominate Maggs for "Sox Fans' Hall of Famers" for the 00's.

Well, I'd like to nominate Royce for "Sox Fans' Hall of Famers" for the 00's, so we'll just have to see who wins. :D:

baggio202
04-29-2003, 02:07 PM
daver...curious as to what the criteria was to make one eligable??..was it his record with the sox??....did the player in question have to spend more years with the sox than any other team???...or could it be any player that played for the sox at any time??...tom seaver pitched for the sox..depending on criteria he definately beats gary peters as far as careers go..if the player in question has to have spent more time with the sox t han any other team then jackson played more games with cleveland than he did chicago

Daver
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
daver...curious as to what the criteria was to make one eligable??..was it his record with the sox??....did the player in question have to spend more years with the sox than any other team???...or could it be any player that played for the sox at any time??...tom seaver pitched for the sox..depending on criteria he definately beats gary peters as far as careers go..if the player in question has to have spent more time with the sox t han any other team then jackson played more games with cleveland than he did chicago

It was done with a poll on the main page going position by position,and voted on by the members,I think we had 75 members or so when we did it. :redneck

TheBigHurt
04-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well, I'd like to nominate Royce for "Sox Fans' Hall of Famers" for the 00's, so we'll just have to see who wins. :D:

WELL, i was going to nominate Todd Ritchie.....COULD I still????

BE GOOD

LuvSox
04-29-2003, 04:07 PM
All time infield: Lamarr Johnson, Jack Brohamer, Mike Caruso, Chris Snopek

pudge
04-29-2003, 04:26 PM
My first comment is, no way in hell you can argue for Sherm Lollar, please.

Wilhelm would have to be on there somewhere.

If I were to build an all-time team, I'd probably take more starters from way back when the Sox were actually a championship team, such as Cicotte and Lefty Williams, in addition to Ed Walsh.

Paulwny
04-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
I think we had 75 members or so when we did it. :redneck

Man, that felt like a large group back then. This site has really grown in the last few years.

Ol Aches & Pains
04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Nice to see my man Luke Appling get his props at s.s. Aparicio may have been more exciting, but Appling was consistently excellent for 20 years.

If we're talking all-time, I don't put Buehrle in there just yet. Let's look at him again in four or five years. There's over 100 years of White Sox history, let's not rush into anything. In Buehrle's place, I'd nominate Early Wynn, a Hall of Famer with a mean streak. If we had him now, Doug Mentk(whatever) wouldn't know what hit him.

And as someone else suggested, I'd also take Robin Ventura over Bill Melton. As Harry Caray used to say, "It's so hot today our third baseman's Melton".

And finally, just a thought, instead of Luzinski striking out twice a game, and Frank Thomas stinking up first base, how about platooning Thomas and Baines at DH, and put Dick Allen at first?
If he feels like playing, that is.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
....And as someone else suggested, I'd also take Robin Ventura over Bill Melton. As Harry Caray used to say, "It's so hot today our third baseman's Melton".

Melton narrowly beat out Ventura in the WSI polling. ESPN's Dave Wills was doing Chicago-style voting on the air on behalf of his broadcast partner Meltie during one of his post-game shows. :smile:

WSI's Sox Fans Hall of Fame was completed over two years before the Sox held their own all-century team. We also beat them on the reintroduction of the Soxogram, too, not that I've been keeping score or anything.

:)

Nellie Comiskey
04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
How about the most absurd all-time sox team:

1b - Pasqua
2b - Bryan Little
ss - Dale Sveum(the season Guillen got hurt)
3b - Wayne Tolleson
c - Ron Hassey
dh - George Bell
of - Sap Randall
of - Fisk (fish out of water 1986 Opening Day)
of - George Foster

bench
Donnie Hill
Eddie Williams
Dave Stegman
Mike Caruso
Don Wakamatsu
Joe Hall

pitchers
Todd Ritchie
Jamie Navarro
Ricky Horton
Tim Lollar
Jerry Don Gleaton
Jim Winn
Joel McKeon
Scott Nielson

Mgr - Terry Bevington
GM - Hawk
Owner - John Allyn

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
OK, lets do it....

C - Fisk, but you can argue Sherm Lollar
1B - Thomas/Baines
2B- Nellie Fox, but Eddie Collins is a close 2nd
3B- Melton?
SS- Appling
LF Minoso
RF Mags - I'd get crucified if I took Chat Lemon as my third OF
CF Joe Jackson

DH - Luzinski

SP Buehrle - for today
SP Ed Walsh
SP Lamarr Hoyt - Hoyt and Salome Barojas could really party!
SP Billy Pierce
SP Wilbur Wood
SP Ted Lyons
SP Jack McDowell - for my youth
Closer - Thigpen

Manager Lopez, but I would probably take Tony LaRussa over him

How'd I do?

I have 7 SPs...Tried to take 1-2 from each ERA (pre-1940, 40 - 70, 70 - 90, 90 - today) I wanted to put Eddie Collins over Nellie Fox, but my grandfather would kill me. I also would rather have LaRussa than Lopez, but having never so Lopez play, I have to go on reputation.

Joe Jackson played LF.

Also, why would you want Chet Lemon? I'm not old enough to see him play for the Sox, only the Tigers, but my Dad has told me that Chet put up some very quiet big numbers for the Sox. My Dad talks like he was the kind to hit a three run homer when your up 9 and then ground into a double play if your down one with men on. If you picked Lemon for defense Landis, Berry, and Johnson could all play great defense in center and were known for their clutch hitting.

Also while Fox is deservedly a hall of famer, Eddie Collins is probably one of the top 2 or 3 second baseman in history. He put up monster numbers on some World Series teams. I don't believe Collins gets the respect he deserves from Sox fans. I wouldn't rate anybody other than Hornsby above Collins. What he did prior to 1920, which was the "Dead Ball Era," was remarkable.

My team would look like this:

C Pudge Fisk
1B Frank Thomas
2B Eddie Collins
3B Robin Ventura (how many gold gloves did beltin' Bill win?)
SS Luke Apling
LF Joe Jackson
CF Lance Johnson (I admit I'm too young to appreciate Landis)
RF Harold Baines (before his knees went out)

SP Ed Walsh
SP Ed Ciccotte
SP Billy Pierce
SP Ted Lyons
SP Joe Horlen
CL Bobby Thigpen

Ventura23Fan
04-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
3B Robin Ventura (how many gold gloves did beltin' Bill win?)

Ventura was better offensively as well. Melton averaged more HR, but Ventura was better in every other significant offensive stat, e.g., RBI, Runs, AVG, total bases, BB, you name it. I know I'm biased, but I don't know how anyone objectively could pick Melton ahead of Ventura.

jortafan
04-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Nellie Comiskey
How about the most absurd all-time sox team:

1b - Pasqua
2b - Bryan Little
ss - Dale Sveum(the season Guillen got hurt)
3b - Wayne Tolleson
c - Ron Hassey
dh - George Bell
of - Sap Randall
of - Fisk (fish out of water 1986 Opening Day)
of - George Foster

bench
Donnie Hill
Eddie Williams
Dave Stegman
Mike Caruso
Don Wakamatsu
Joe Hall

pitchers
Todd Ritchie
Jamie Navarro
Ricky Horton
Tim Lollar
Jerry Don Gleaton
Jim Winn
Joel McKeon
Scott Nielson

Mgr - Terry Bevington
GM - Hawk
Owner - John Allyn

How can you have an all-absurd Sox team without Harry Chappas at short, Johnny Jeter on the bench, and Goose Gossage in the starting rotation?

ode to veeck
04-30-2003, 10:28 AM
How can you have an all-absurd Sox team without Harry Chappas at short, Johnny Jeter on the bench, and Goose Gossage in the starting rotation

No, no, no, Goose is the locker room clean up hitter ... just make sure he's got the gloves on if you want him to pitch anytime soon