PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon..Show Me Somethin'!

whitesoxwilkes
04-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Tonight is in my opinion Bartolo's first real test of the year. Thus far, he has shown himself to be average at best, and that's against mediocre opposition. He's not the power pitcher that everyone seemed to be billing him as, but he is a horse...the complete game against Cleveland showed that. I just hope he doesn;t give up the hits early...that seems to be his biggest problem.

voodoochile
04-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Everyone had said that he was not throwing as many fastballs as before and there have been rumors he was injured, but it turns out he can still put plenty of giddyup on the baseball when he wants/has to. He has merely learned how to throw other pitches effectively and is a better pitcher for that fact.

I don't know why you aren't perfectly happy with him. He has been fine by my standards...

whitesoxwilkes
04-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I don't know why you aren't perfectly happy with him. He has been fine by my standards...

Because I'm too fussy for my own good. Isn't paranoia masquerading as fussiness a prerequisite for being a Sox fan?

HawkDJ
04-29-2003, 04:44 PM
He has been fine, yes but we didn't trade for Bartolo Colon to be fine. We traded for him to be great like last year. So far he has done a good job but he has looked far from as dominating as I thought he would be. Maybe I just expect too much.

gosox41
04-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
He has been fine, yes but we didn't trade for Bartolo Colon to be fine. We traded for him to be great like last year. So far he has done a good job but he has looked far from as dominating as I thought he would be. Maybe I just expect too much.

I don't think you're expecting too much at all. Bart is a 20 game winner and top pitcher. If anything he's fallen into the White Sox trap of underacheiving. I know it's only a few starts, but hopefully he and the rest of the team will turn it up a notch soon.

Bob

Soxboyrob
04-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't think you're expecting too much at all. Bart is a 20 game winner and top pitcher. If anything he's fallen into the White Sox trap of underacheiving. I know it's only a few starts, but hopefully he and the rest of the team will turn it up a notch soon.

I sure can't complain about what Colon has brought from an overall perspective, but any thoughts of him being an "ace" have quickly been dismissed in my mind. He's consistent in that he'll give up 3 or 4 runs a game but he's throwing a lot of hittable fastballs around 93 miles per hour. He's not the guy I want pitching game one of a playoff series, should one occur. He's looked to me like a middle of the rotation guy from day one and hasn't really looked like anything else. Strangely, Loaiza has looked much like the ace w/ Buehrle looking like a solid #2. It'd be nice to see Colon and Koch find their overpowering stuff and start looking like the guys they were billed to be.

voodoochile
04-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I sure can't complain about what Colon has brought from an overall perspective, but any thoughts of him being an "ace" have quickly been dismissed in my mind. He's consistent in that he'll give up 3 or 4 runs a game but he's throwing a lot of hittable fastballs around 93 miles per hour. He's not the guy I want pitching game one of a playoff series, should one occur. He's looked to me like a middle of the rotation guy from day one and hasn't really looked like anything else. Strangely, Loaiza has looked much like the ace w/ Buehrle looking like a solid #2. It'd be nice to see Colon and Koch find their overpowering stuff and start looking like the guys they were billed to be.

His 113th pitch tonight in the 8th inning was clocked at 98 MPH. If that's not an ace, I don't know what is. Sometimes you just get beat.

Jucier Cruz
04-30-2003, 10:38 AM
He's looked to me like a middle of the rotation guy from day one and hasn't really looked like anything else.

The problem with our pitching is that our defense can nto pick them up. A prime example is Rownad's play on the Singleton triple. A great catch there, like Loften, edmonds and what not make and he could ahve had a shut-out. We have sub-par defensive palyers that do not save runs and then don't make up for it with their bats. This is why we will be an average team all season.

WhiteSoxWinner
04-30-2003, 05:46 PM
His 113th pitch tonight in the 8th inning was clocked at 98 MPH. If that's not an ace, I don't know what is. Sometimes you just get beat.

Dang it, you beat me to that point. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this post today.

Soxboyrob
04-30-2003, 09:16 PM

On which clock? The one on the TV screen was hi 80's/low 90's for most of the night. I know it's off a couple MPH. Did it show a higher velocity at the in-park radar?

voodoochile
04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
On which clock? The one on the TV screen was hi 80's/low 90's for most of the night. I know it's off a couple MPH. Did it show a higher velocity at the in-park radar?

Yeah, he hit the high 90's consistently on the park gun. I don't know if it was off, but that's what it showed.