PDA

View Full Version : Rod Roddy-Come on down: Joe Borchard

SoxxoS
04-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Borchard 3-4 with a homer and 3 RBI's tonite at Charlotte.

"Knock, knock, knockin on Aaron's door."

The time is coming, I would have to believe. He can take his lumps up here, they can't be worse than "career 4th outfielder" Aaron Rowand. Give Borchard another week to make sure the wrist tendenitis (sp.) is fine, then it's go time.

Don't you guys think?

Daver
04-29-2003, 12:34 AM
I thought he should have started the season patrolling CF for the Sox.

baggio202
04-29-2003, 01:40 AM
its the perfect for borchard to come up....aaron rowand has been absolutely pitiful...joe borchard out of high school could have produced what rowand is...gee joe..think you can go 2 for 45 with an rbi???...there would be really no pressure on him because of rowand's poor play...

with oakland coming to town and 3 lefties scheduled to face us (unless the off day pushes halama back) this makes it even a more perfect time (thats doesnt make sense, does it :D: ) to bring up joe...with rowand and konerko playing all three days thats 2 automatic outs in the line up against 2 of the better lefties in baseball :angry:

cmon joe , its time you see the show!!!

Huisj
04-29-2003, 01:50 AM
isn't borchard a switch hitter? how would facing lefties make it the perfect time to bring him up?

baggio202
04-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
isn't borchard a switch hitter? how would facing lefties make it the perfect time to bring him up?

because manuel will play rowand the next 3 days because all the pitchers are lefties...so we will have our all right handed line up with its two automatic outs in rowand and konerko...if joe was here he could start in place of rowand and he sure as hell couldnt be any worse...

Chisox_cali
04-29-2003, 04:56 AM
I don't know what a normal strike out ratio is, but is his 12 K's in 60AB's an improvement from what he's done in the past?

jeremyb1
04-29-2003, 05:07 AM
1. i feel like 65 at bats isn't a huge sample for borchard
2. i think that rowand needs to start whether its in charlotte or the big leagues. for that reason i think we should give him a little more time to progress.

wait 2 or 3 more weeks at least. if this persists, make the swtich.

DrCrawdad
04-29-2003, 07:17 AM
IMO Borchard's call-up will be determined by how it affects his eligibility for free agency (years of service). They'll wait until after the point where it gives the Sox another year before Borchard reaches FA.

MHOUSE
04-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Give both of them more time. Rowand hardly batted in spring training and he has to start up vs. MLB pitching. Borchard only has a few games on AAA at-bats so far. Give them both another couple of weeks and see who looks better/more consistent. Rowand has played well defensively anyways and his bat will come around.

34 Inch Stick
04-29-2003, 09:42 AM
You don't guage the Borchard call up by his production versus Rowand. We are trying to groom a star here. We know he is better than Rowand. Base the call up solely on whether he is ready to have an impact at the major league level.

If you want to make a call up based on whether one guy is playing better than another give Willie a chance.

I think the same thing should have been done with Olivo. He is obviously there defensively. I think a couple of months in AAA would have been better for him offensively. We could have survived with Paul as the back up for that short period of time.

voodoochile
04-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
1. i feel like 65 at bats isn't a huge sample for borchard
2. i think that rowand needs to start whether its in charlotte or the big leagues. for that reason i think we should give him a little more time to progress.

wait 2 or 3 more weeks at least. if this persists, make the swtich.

No way! Send the kid down to AAA today. Let him get his swing back while playing in the minors. Didn't we learn our lesson in 2001?

soxrme
04-29-2003, 01:08 PM
We waited for Crede last year for some stupid reason, lets not pull the same garbage this year w/Borchard. Rowand needs some at bats but here is not the place to get them. As far as Harris it is a pleasant problem to have, but I would much rather see Borchard.

SoxxoS
04-29-2003, 03:12 PM
By the by-

Borchard and Co. get to face today:

:butter

"I will shut down Charlotte. And after I do, I fully expect to be back with the big league club. You hearing this Lou?"

Borchard-I predict he hits for the cycle.

czalgosz
04-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Am I wrong, or is Borchard's service-time clock already ticking, because of his September call-up?

TheBigHurt
04-29-2003, 04:21 PM
I'D like to nominate Wee Wee Willie on coming down

jeremyb1
04-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Am I wrong, or is Borchard's service-time clock already ticking, because of his September call-up?

service time isn't really impacted by september callups.