PDA

View Full Version : Ward on the hotseat?

delben91
04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Courtesy of The Sporting News:

MAY FORECAST
Unless the offense starts living up to lofty expectations, hitting coach Gary Ward will be out of a job. Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker is a likely replacement.

Here's the whole team report. (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox/20030427.html)

Daver
04-28-2003, 07:21 PM
He shouldn't even be here,Von Joshua should be.

GASHWOUND
04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Not a huge Ward fan, had no problem with Von, but am guessing the players had..But will another coaching change help?? Ahh, fire everyone :cool:

:fireward :firejauron :fireshoop

PaleHoseGeorge
04-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Not a huge Ward fan, had no problem with Von, but am guessing the players had..But will another coaching change help?? Ahh, fire everyone :cool:

As I recall, it was the infamous "Meet the Parents" game in Oakland that got Von Joshua fired. He went public with complaints about unspecified ballplayers sitting around the clubhouse watching TV rather than working on their hitting.

IIRC, Joshua only singled out one ballplayer by name, Royce Clayton, who he alledged was deliberately reporting to the ballpark late specifically to avoid Joshua's instruction.

:von
"If only that little ***** had stopped wearing his spikes a year earlier!"

MHOUSE
04-28-2003, 08:34 PM
The way our guys seem to have to figure everything out on their own and Paulie keeps trying to pull everything says to be that our hitting coach isn't doing his job.

duke of dorwood
04-28-2003, 08:50 PM
He seems to have helped C lee, but thats about it.

mrwag
04-28-2003, 10:26 PM
From what I've read, Walk did some good work with Crede. Sure would be neat to see Greg Walker in a Sox uniform on the South Side again.

Nellie Comiskey
04-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Like we've seen many times...the first to be canned if off to a sluggish start will be the hitting or pitching coach. Don Cooper is solid, however Gary Ward's ablility to coach has always been suspect. I don't believe Greg Walker would be promoted if Ward is canned. I would guess that Nick Leyva(manager of class a club) or Mike Lum(minor league roving hitting instructor) would be promoted on an interim basis. Lum would make sense. :smile:

Daver
04-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Nellie Comiskey
I would guess that Nick Leyva(manager of class a club) or Mike Lum(minor league roving hitting instructor) would be promoted on an interim basis.

Nick Leyva is not managing any team in the Sox system this year,he is a roving instructor/talent evaluator.I think this was done so that he could step in when and if JM gets fired.

Nellie Comiskey
04-28-2003, 11:03 PM
When we privately speculated last year about Manuel's future I said the same thing about Leyva: he'd be the interim answer. If Ward was canned I still think it's Leyva or Lum...and I say Leyva because Lum likes being able to stay at home in Atlanta. Walker is obviously a sentimental pick and logical if when thinking of levels in the organization...but Walker has one full season under his belt at Charlotte(or anywhere for that matter) and from what I've heard needs more time to develop his coaching skills. Gregg Ritchie (Birmingham) is very good and is a big reason why so many prospects have done well in Birmingham(Borchard, Crede, Olivo, Miles, Rowand, etc.) the only proplem on paper is that he has no major league experience. And the one thing you need on your resume in applying or being in line for a major league job is that experience in the "Show." :smile:

RKMeibalane
04-28-2003, 11:31 PM
I don't care who the Sox find to replace Ward, just as long as Darryl Boston doesn't come anywhere near US Cellular Field. That man has alienated virtually everyone in the Sox organization. He is notoriously lazy, and refuses to hit ground balls with a fungo bat.

baggio202
04-29-2003, 02:04 AM
like the idea of leyva taking for for manuel if he is canned..leyva has managed before at the big league level..manages in the winter leagues ..managed charlotte..has the experience...nick capra has managed in our system for awhile too..could be a candidate i guess

what about baines for a hitting instructor...he's been in uniform for a few games in balt...the knock on baines has been he is too quiet...i dont neccisarliy find that a bad thing...when someone who doesnt talk much say something its usually pretty important and the pupils will listen...nothing is worse than a motormouth..because when he does have important info to pass along he usually has already lost his audience...

Daver
04-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

what about baines for a hitting instructor...he's been in uniform for a few games in balt...the knock on baines has been he is too quiet...i dont neccisarliy find that a bad thing...when someone who doesnt talk much say something its usually pretty important and the pupils will listen...nothing is worse than a motormouth..because when he does have important info to pass along he usually has already lost his audience...

Show me one guy in the line-up that can accomplish Harold's swing.

Harold's style works for him,but I doubt he could teach anyone the fundementals of batting at the MLB level.

baggio202
04-29-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by daver
Show me one guy in the line-up that can accomplish Harold's swing.

Harold's style works for him,but I doubt he could teach anyone the fundementals of batting at the MLB level.

i agree that his swing was unique and worked only for him...but he spent 22 years in the majors..im sure he understands the more conventional types of swings...i dont know too many people that had a better mental approach to hitting..thats something this current group definately needs

i guess thats would be the question that would have to be answered by harold..how flexible is he in his ability to teach??

Viva Magglio
04-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Our hitting is pathetic. Even before Jerry Manuel, I think Gary Ward should be on the hot seat.

SpringfldFan
04-30-2003, 12:37 AM
I am also sick and tired of waiting for the bats to warm up. Ward may be part of the problem, but I am not too thrilled with the overall makeup and gameplan of the team right now. I think we just play too much station to station ball expecting to either get a couple home runs or else a dozen hits every game. That's an awful philosophy to have if you want to compete with the Yanks or the teams out west.

This teams offense is powerful, but simply isn't proactive. When at bat they are actually on the defensive while crafty pitchers play their impatience like a fiddle. They need to put less emphasis on the long ball and get some speed and "situational intelligence" at the top and bottom of the lineup. They also need to pressure the other team by bunting, stealing bases, etc. Any little ball they play now is just "token" little ball. They really cannot use it as a weapon. Their only weapon is the dinger. Bad.

Tragg
04-30-2003, 12:52 AM
The core of this team, over the past 5 or so years, has proven that it can hit mediocre pitching (although struggling so far this year); it has also proven, or come close to doing so, that it can't hit good pitching (Seattle playoff series as Exhibit A and numerous other examples). I still think one of the problems is simply inability to get on base, to "situational hit" - they aren't efficient - also still some major holes in the lineup who can't hit anything (catcher and CF - sound familiar? it should - been like that for 8 years). I thought Jiminez would help in this regard, but he's tailing off quickly.

fuzzy_patters
04-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
The core of this team, over the past 5 or so years, has proven that it can hit mediocre pitching (although struggling so far this year); it has also proven, or come close to doing so, that it can't hit good pitching (Seattle playoff series as Exhibit A and numerous other examples). I still think one of the problems is simply inability to get on base, to "situational hit" - they aren't efficient - also still some major holes in the lineup who can't hit anything (catcher and CF - sound familiar? it should - been like that for 8 years). I thought Jiminez would help in this regard, but he's tailing off quickly.

It's only been like that for three years. Charles Johnson could hit, and Fordyce and Fabregas weren't bad hitters, either. Fabregas couldn't always remember what pitch he had just called, but hitting was what kept him in the big leagues. Also IIRC, Mike Cameron had a good year once, too.

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 11:07 PM
take a minute and look at our hitters' averages:

jimenez: .284
valentin: .287
thomas: .244
maggs: .280
carlos: .253
paully: .230
crede: .236
graff: .263
alomar: .295
olivo: .200

its pretty apparent to me that this team isn't hitting worth a lick. i think its ridiculous the amount of time that is spent around here talking about manuel's poor managing, the teams lack of intensity, and other factors when we can't hit the ball!!! valentin and jimenez are our two best hitters right now but both of them were up around .350 a week ago. you win baseball games by scoring runs and until this team does so we're going nowhere fast.

Viva Magglio
04-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
its pretty apparent to me that this team isn't hitting worth a lick. i think its ridiculous the amount of time that is spent around here talking about manuel's poor managing, the teams lack of intensity, and other factors when we can't hit the ball!!! valentin and jimenez are our two best hitters right now but both of them were up around .350 a week ago. you win baseball games by scoring runs and until this team does so we're going nowhere fast.

Has it occurred to you that the lack of intensity from Manuel's lack of managerial mental toughness is at least a contributing factor to the poor hitting?

StepsInSC
04-30-2003, 11:11 PM
I know, its so depressing isn't it

Honestly I just think this team ain't that good. Too many holes. Hell right now the whole team is a hole.

jeremyb1
04-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Has it occurred to you that the lack of intensity from Manuel's lack of managerial mental toughness is at least a contributing factor to the poor hitting?

no.

fuzzy_patters
05-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

That would make more sense if JM didn't have a history of managing teams that could hit. Prior to this month, all of Manual's teams scored a lot of runs, but pitching and defense was their downfall. Now we are supposed to believe that Manual's managing contributes to poor hitting?