PDA

View Full Version : Was Manuel Mocking Emotion Advocates

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Yesterday at the end of the game Jerry came back out onto the field and was doing a Jim Essian impersonation (the overly demonstrative hand clapping and high fiving each player as they walked by). He had a strange smile on his face and seemed to be overemphasizing all of his gestures.

It seemed to me like he was mocking all of those who say that he has not been emotional enough. The players seemed to be in laughing about it as they passed him.

On the other hand maybe it was genuine and I was just sensitive to it.

RKMeibalane
04-28-2003, 11:47 AM
I have heard that some Sox players visit WSI. Maybe Manuel has also seen the site. If that's the case, he knows that we refer to him as Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel.

CHISOXFAN13
04-28-2003, 11:51 AM
This sounds like the emotion he showed when he dressed as a bellboy at the hotel during his suspension in 2000.

voodoochile
04-28-2003, 11:57 AM
Maybe it's forced or intended for effect, but who cares? That stuff has a positive effect down the road and should be part of a manger's duties. Got get 'em Jerry...

Juan Pizarro
04-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Maybe he was genuinely happy they took 2 out of 3 from their archrival and showed some stones in the process.

Kilroy
04-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Maybe he was genuinely happy they took 2 out of 3 from their archrival and showed some stones in the process.

Speaking of showing some stones, I was disappointed that Mzfediuesfprick wasn't in the line-up Sunday. I was interested to see if he gotten thrown at again. My money would have said that he would have. That would have been interesting. But I was extremely pleased that he got plunked in both games he played in...

Jjav829
04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
While watching that, I had that feeling that he heard the criticism the past few days and was just looking for something to go off on and show he can be emotional. Still not enough for me though. He definitely should have defended Crede and Garland on the previous two occurrences.

SouthSideHitman
04-28-2003, 09:46 PM
I've never heard of a manager arguing ironically to mock his detractors, especially one with only six career ejections. Besides if he was, I would have liked to see a better tantrum. Maybe Earl Weaver style with dirt kicking and the backwards hat or even a Loyd McClendon stealing of first base.

Anyway, since I'm assuming that he was trying to get his team fired up, I'm glad to see it the Sox needed a kick in the ass after sucking against the Tribe and the Birds and this series very well could have been it.

34 Inch Stick
04-29-2003, 08:07 AM
My idea had nothing to do with him arguing. I noticed something after the game was over and made a comment about it. Did anyone else see what I am talking about.

On the radio, I heard he received a standing ovation from the fans as he went back into the dugout after the game.