PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I was not here this past week

Viva Magglio
04-27-2003, 05:45 PM
I just got back from a nice vacation in South Florida where I missed a whole week of White Sox baseball. I did watch last night's game because the place in Florida where I stayed has WGN. I liked how we won last night, but the rest of the week for me was just plain uneasy.

I am sure the bad losses to Cleveland, Baltimore, and Minnesota on Friday have been adjudicated in this forum forwards and backwards two-fold. My general thought was that the way things went, I was expecting Jerry Manuel to finally get whacked on Monday. Obviously, this good weekend may have erased any danger Manuel may have been in.

I did not get home in time to see today's game, but I heard Jesse Rogers speculate on the radio that Manuel got himself ejected in response to the media questioning his leadership. I am sure this has been debated already, but why wansn't Manuel more defensive of Jon Garland after Bruce Froemming ejected him last night? If I were the manager, I would have gotten all over Froemming and gotten myself ejected in defense of my pitcher. And did we protest the game in Baltimore in which Joe Crede was robbed of a home run by a missed call? With video proof that the call was wrong, wouldn't a protest have given us a chance there? And I will not waste time talking about Manuel's use of Tom Gordon, even though he pitched good last night.

Outside of that, I went to two Marlins games at Pro Player Stadium. I was at the Wednesday game against Milwaukee and the Friday one against St. Louis. As I kept looking toward the Teal Tower in left field to see how bad we were doing, I noticed that Jeff Torborg has the Marlins playing with a lot of heart. Even in their 9-2 loss to St. Louis, the Marlins never quit. On Wednesday, the Fighting Fish rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the eighth inning and went on to win the game in twelve innings.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the Choice in All His Brewer Glory in my Marlins piece. His Royceness actually had quite a few good defensive plays against Florida, but his at bats were quite reminiscent of ones he had against us.

Finally, it was nice being away from here for a week. No Moronotti. No Mike North. Instead, I got to listen to SportsRadio 560 QAM (http://www.wqam.com/temp_home.htm) whose hosts seem to make more sense of things as opposed to the hosts on our sports talk station.

T Dog
04-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Welcome back.

TheBigHurt
04-27-2003, 06:07 PM
YEAH hopefully you had a good trip and hopefully you bring some luck :)

BE GOOD

MisterB
04-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
And did we protest the game in Baltimore in which Joe Crede was robbed of a home run by a missed call? With video proof that the call was wrong, wouldn't a protest have given us a chance there?

PROTESTING GAMES. Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire's decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final. Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team's chances of winning the game. Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch is made or a runner is retired. A protest arising on a game ending play may be filed until 12 noon the following day with the League Office

Major League Baseball Official Rules (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/baseball_basics/mlb_basics_foreward.jsp)

sox_fan_forever
04-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Welcome back!