PDA

View Full Version : Trade prospects for 1 more bat AND arm?

Bisco Stu
04-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Yep. And that bat might have to be 3B, 1B or CF, if Crede, Konerko and Rowand/Rios can't do the job. I believe in Crede long-term but he doesn't seem to have the power of last year.
I love Paulie but he's got to show something by May. And Rios is good, but don't know if he's on the next level. We need a comeback offense like the Angels had and one more bat could do it.

I just think we need one more solid bat and another SP to really have a shot at the WS. Imagine, Garland (hopefully more consistent) as our 5th starter.

What prospects? I'll leave it up to you experts, but I'm ready to sacrifice the future for a shot at the title. We all want to see a Sox WS champ in our lifetime.

joecrede
04-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Yep. And that bat might have to be 3B, 1B or CF, if Crede, Konerko and Rowand/Rios can't do the job. I believe in Crede long-term but he doesn't seem to have the power of last year.
I love Paulie but he's got to show something by May. And Rios is good, but don't know if he's on the next level. We need a comeback offense like the Angels had and one more bat could do it.

I just think we need one more solid bat and another SP to really have a shot at the WS. Imagine, Garland (hopefully more consistent) as our 5th starter.

What prospects? I'll leave it up to you experts, but I'm ready to sacrifice the future for a shot at the title. We all want to see a Sox WS champ in our lifetime.

1.) Crede will be fine.
2.) Borchard will be the centerfielder sometime before the first Sox/Cubs series in June.
3.) Konerko is owed a lot of money. He's not going to be on the bench.

baggio202
04-27-2003, 04:56 PM
i think we got answers to some of those questions right here..

in CF i have no problem bringing up borchard...we have been waiting for this guy for a while now and its time...he was compared with adam dunn his whole minor league career and dunn is in his 2nd full season in the majors now...its time for joe..

1b we have daubach...i know he has struggled early on but this guy has proven it over 4 seasons..one thing i know about him..he is very streaky..when he is cold like he is now he real cold..but when he gets hot he gets locked in and carry a team for a week or so...he is learning a new role as a bench player and thats always tough for a starter to go to the bench ...

you saw daubach's worth today and why he was a fan favorite in beantown..he went 0-2..but he drew a walk that ended up a steal of home...then one of his outs was a ground ball to 2nd base that he had to tomahawk on a high inside pitch to get it down on the ground to move a runner over to 3rd base with no outs..this caused minny to pull the infield in and carlos lined a single up the middle just out of reach of the 2nd baseman...if dauber failed to advance the runner that line drive was caught with the 2nd baseman playing back..daubach's a guy that can help you with productive outs and walks when he is not hittting..thats something konerko hasnt been able to accomplish..if paul cant come out of this funk i am really happy to have daubach slide in his place...another plus on daucbach he is a great defensive 1st baseman...

as for crede..we live and die with him for now unless he goes into a rowand type funk...jimenez is also a 3rd baseman..should things get that bad we can put harris or miles at 2nd and move jimenez to 3rd...or just play graffy there...but im confident in joe and his abilities to play consistent throughout the season...even if he doesnt put up big power numbers..he already has had some big hits..seems to like the pressure of hitting in clutch situations...

5th starter...danny wright will be back soon..always liked him more than garland...he could easily gain his number 4 spot back..

the guy i worry most about is d'angelo..he comes with a boatload of baggage and i dont see him as an everyday player despite his hot start...he is gonna come back to earth shortly...might be doing it now..biggest series of the young season and he wears the collar for 3 games...he would be the guy i would worry about going into a slump of rowandesque proportions...

kenny should start looking around to see whats out there..another quality reliever sure wouldnt hurt...speed speed and more speed..get a real good infield glove that can be used as a pinch runner would be nice too

if these guys fail..we have quality replacements..but we would then need to shore up the bench

OEO Magglio
04-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Baggio, I disagree with you on d'angelo, he might not hit .300, he might be around a .280 hitter which would be fine, but the thing about him is, he's got a great eye, and even if he's struggling, he's still going to get on base by drawing walks, which is huge.

Daver
04-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu

When the Rowand/Rios platoon ends,it will be to put Joe Borchard in his rightful spot in CF,by replacing a weak stick in center you can afford to give Joe Crede his growing pains at 3B without benching him.

Paul Konerko is a professional hitter that has hit at this level for three years,I have no reason to believe he will not turn his game around.

I agree with you that added a veteran pitcher that can start would be a good idea,but that is something that would almost have to wait till close to the trade deadline,when the teams that thought they might contend and aren't are willing to shop a guy for low level minor leaguers,because that is really all the Sox have to offer right now.

Almost all of their talent is at AA or below.

But then again,what the hell do I know? ©

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 10:19 PM
You guys are talking WS this year? I doubt it. This team won't win in the playoffs with their hot-cold bats and inconsistent pitching. We need to develop and gel this year (with a new manager perhaps?) and look towards next year for a legit shot. I think we could make the playoffs this year and maybe win the central, but I wouldn't sell the farm for a shot this at the WS this year. We have so many relatively young guys in Borchard, Crede, Olivo, that they need a full ML year to be really evaluated and locked in. If we're 10 over .500 at the deadline then maybe make a move, but 3 games over won't be grounds for a AA firesale to get Chuck Finley.

Daver
04-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
but 3 games over won't be grounds for a AA firesale to get Chuck Finley.

Chuck Finley is a FA.

He's not playing for anyone.

spanishwhite
04-27-2003, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by daver
Almost all of their talent is at AA or below.

Im not trying to argue with you daver, but

AAA has Borchard, Harris, Rauch, Munoz, Majewski, Diaz and

to some extent Valenzuela and Adkins

they had Sanders

and will have either Sanders, Stewart, or Garland.

Most teams would like to have the aforementioned.

MHOUSE
04-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by daver
Chuck Finley is a FA.

He's not playing for anyone.

Yes I do recall that he is, but several teams are interested and he could be playing by the trade deadline. I was using him as an example of a veteran pitcher who would be moved by a team who had fallen out of contention to a contender like when he went from the Indians to the Cards last season.

Also to spanishwhite: I agree those are all very talented players, but would you be willing to trade them? I think they were talking more tradeable talent is at AA because there are plans for those guys at AAA. But I agree we have a lot of talent there.

spanishwhite
04-27-2003, 10:56 PM
that's a good point, but it depends on who you
would want more Cotts and Malone or Rauch and Munoz
It's a tough call. AA doesnt have much for hitting.

Personally, I would prefer that we dont trade anybody. :smile:

Daver
04-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
that's a good point, but it depends on who you
would want more Cotts and Malone or Rauch and Munoz
It's a tough call. AA doesnt have much for hitting.

Personally, I would prefer that we dont trade anybody. :smile:

Out of your list there are possibly three guys with any trade value,Harris,Diaz,and maybe Munoz.

The Sox have been trying to move Valenzuela for two years with no takers,Majewski has been traded twice,and claimed in the rule five draft,and is still toiling for the Sox minor league system.

Adkins has little value,Rauch also because of his injury issues,as far as the rest they are either on the MLB roster or soon to be there.

spanishwhite
04-27-2003, 11:29 PM
OK, here we go! :smile:

Rauch has a 2.25 era in Charlotte right now and has had
4 quality starts. He has been consistent in Charlotte and did
decent at the end of last season. A poor st should not decrease his value.

Majewski was traded twice for his value plus the fact that the BJ's
tried to get him means he isnt too bad.

I threw Valenzuela and Adkins b/c they could be throw ins for a trade. I also forgot Almonte who continues to suceed at every level. He could be a throw-in as well.

Im guessing that Stewart will be the one demoted when Wright comes up b/c there is no room. Unless they put Garland in AAA. Either way Garland or Stewart will not be on the roster and thus in Charlotte to pitch. Either way one of them will be in Charlotte for the rest of the year unless another injury occurs. (knock on wood).

I dont want to see any of them traded, but Garland, Stewart, Rauch, and Majewski have some sort of value that could transfer into a trade for an above average player. Just thought that I should defend them.

Daver
04-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
OK, here we go! :smile:

Rauch has a 2.25 era in Charlotte right now and has had
4 quality starts. He has been consistent in Charlotte and did
decent at the end of last season. A poor st should not decrease his value.

Majewski was traded twice for his value plus the fact that the BJ's
tried to get him means he isnt too bad.

I threw Valenzuela and Adkins b/c they could be throw ins for a trade. I also forgot Almonte who continues to suceed at every level. He could be a throw-in as well.

Im guessing that Stewart will be the one demoted when Wright comes up b/c there is no room. Unless they put Garland in AAA. Either way Garland or Stewart will not be on the roster and thus in Charlotte to pitch. Either way one of them will be in Charlotte for the rest of the year unless another injury occurs. (knock on wood).

I dont want to see any of them traded, but Garland, Stewart, Rauch, and Majewski have some sort of value that could transfer into a trade for an above average player. Just thought that I should defend them.

You also forgot Hummel,who could also be a throw in for a trade,but I digress.

Again, I did not include anyone that is on the 40 man roster for a reason,they won't be traded,but I stand by my original statement that most of the tradeable talent in this farm system is at the AA level and below.

Do you really think anyone will trade for a known to be injured Jon Rauch after what happened with the Wells/Sirotka deal?

He is going to have to pitch,successfully,at the MLB level for his value to be much of anything.

But then again,what the hell do I know? ©